Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashel or Cahir for Tourism

Options
  • 01-07-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

hey folks,

Heading down with a couple of friends to Clonmel on Thrusday night before heading to Cork on Friday. Was hoping to take in either Cahir or Cashel on the way. I'm like historical sites, castles, medieval stuff etc. which do you recommend? (no fighting please :P)

Also, can you recommend a couple of good pubs in Clonmel? Maybe a pub with good live music and also a traditional pub to start out in if there is one (you know the kind, where you'll hit your head off a hanging banjo or teacup if you stand up in the wrong place)?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

You could do both there only 15 miles apart.... Thirsty Thursdays in clonmel .... O'keeffes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You could do both there only 15 miles apart.... Thirsty Thursdays in clonmel .... O'keeffes

Aka 'Spot the school student'

EZ game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Cahir would get my vote but as said above, they're so close you'd do the 2 easily.
    Pub wise in Clonmel, it sounds like Phil Carrolls is the type of place you're looking for. Wouldn't be my personal preference though. However, Bakers next door to it is a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Cashel is better set up for tourists to browse around the town with better shops and restaurants. Cahir is more of a drop em off and pick em up outside the Castle kind of place. Personally if I had visitors I wanted to show around I would start at Cahir Castle. Then the Swiss Cottage. Then on to Cashel for Lunch, The rock and some tourist shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Park up in Cashel in the town early, go to the tourist office look at the displays there, go up the rock and visitor centre sounds of history if its open, then check out the war of independence museum i think its called, its a thatched bulding full of fascinating stuff its well worth an hour or two, it covers a lot of irish history from the penal times to famine times to the war of independence. Its just off the main street not too far from the rock, dont know the name of the street. Easy find though. An unreal amount of stuff well collected and its a great place to visit.

Have lunch in either cafe hans which is near the rock or feehans or the bakehouse or any number of other good food places. Mikey ryans bar do soup and it is a really lovely old style pub. Amazing beer garden which was part of the bishops palace gardens i believe and heritage ireland are doing some work there now i think.Worth a look when ur there.

Then on to Cahir Castle in the afternoon, have a refreshing coffee at the lazy bean cafe and over to the swiss cottage which is a four minute drive from the castle at most.

Clonmel is a great town to go out in in the summer, thursday to sunday places will be lively. If bulmers factory did tours you could go there but i dont know why they never developed a tour it would be a great tourist attraction in clonmel.

Not too sure of the names of the pubs but theres loads of classy old style bars in the middle of town, usually a few live singer songwriters playing too most nights so ask around, and then o keefes is a late bar with bands and disco and is free in. Feel like going myself after writing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Would recommend to do both as one of the above posters has said......been there recently and will be taking family around there over the next few days...

Brgds
    Johnny

Advertisement