Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking Flatmate for Rent Increase

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Apart from the landlord being (potentially) over controlling and somewhat anal about cleanliness what are the other negative aspects of living with an owner from the tenants perspective.
    i.e. what less rights does a tenant in an OO rental (rent a room) have compared to an standard rental?

The OO can ask them to leave without notice. They can change the locks and leave you homeless. The Gardai will back the owner up on this.
    You have no recourse to the PRTB.
    You have no say in anything that goes on in the house.
    In short a tenant has ZERO rights in an OO property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The one thing that annoyed me was the calgon for the washing machine, weird one I know, but not my fault even though she didn't live in a hard water area and still insisted on getting it, then dividing the cost of it three ways!

But not all owners are that anal...... I hope.

Ugh that's just downright stupid. It even says on their ads that it's for hardwater areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Apart from the landlord being (potentially) over controlling and somewhat anal about cleanliness what are the other negative aspects of living with an owner from the tenants perspective.
    i.e. what less rights does a tenant in an OO rental (rent a room) have compared to an standard rental?

You dont really have any rights; legally you are little more than a guest in their home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The OO can ask them to leave without notice. They can change the locks and leave you homeless. The Gardai will back the owner up on this.
    You have no recourse to the PRTB.
    You have no say in anything that goes on in the house.
    In short a tenant has ZERO rights in an OO property

That's pretty shocking.

Why can't they change the laws to afford the tenant more rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

That's pretty shocking.

Why can't they change the laws to afford the tenant more rights?

Because lodgers are not tenants. I dont know how the law compares to other countries in this regard, but its pretty clear over here that if you are a licensee (live with the owner occupier) then you are legally little more than a guest in their home. I suspect the law is such to protect the owner occupier as much as anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

I think owner occupier situations got a bad rep during the Celtic Tiger when people who really didn't want tenants ended up having them so they could pay massive mortgages.

I remember once considering an owner occupied property. I understood that it was to be a normal rental arrangement where I would pay standard market rate and I would live there full-time. Then I was infomred that it "would suit a girl from the country who goes home at weekends". I ran a mile. They wanted me to pay the full rate, but make me feel like I was expected to give them space at the weekend - a sort of unwritten 5 day week agreement. I wouldn't do that unless it was a formal arrangement with an appropriate discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I think owner occupier situations got a bad rep during the Celtic Tiger when people who really didn't want tenants ended up having them so they could pay massive mortgages.

I remember once considering an owner occupied property. I understood that it was to be a normal rental arrangement where I would pay standard market rate and I would live there full-time. Then I was infomred that it "would suit a girl from the country who goes home at weekends". I ran a mile. They wanted me to pay the full rate, but make me feel like I was expected to give them space at the weekend - a sort of unwritten 5 day week agreement. I wouldn't do that unless it was a formal arrangement with an appropriate discount.

That's just mean and not always the case.
    I'm an owner occupier and I'm very relaxed with any of my lodgers.
    I've always done an 'all in' fee, normally below the market rate, if they have gone from full time to part time tenants I've reduced the rates.
    I've no issues with friends calling over, or overnight guests.

I only really insist that they have respect for me, my home and my neighbours and that if they break anything they replace it. For instance one of the guys that used to live with me made absolute sh*t of my frying pan once and he toddled up to homestore & more to buy a replacement before I got home that evening.

You have bad landlords and good landlords and the same goes for owner occupiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

That's just mean and not always the case.
    I'm an owner occupier and I'm very relaxed with any of my lodgers.
    I've always done an 'all in' fee, normally below the market rate, if they have gone from full time to part time tenants I've reduced the rates.
    I've no issues with friends calling over, or overnight guests.

I only really insist that they have respect for me, my home and my neighbours and that if they break anything they replace it. For instance one of the guys that used to live with me made absolute sh*t of my frying pan once and he toddled up to homestore & more to buy a replacement before I got home that evening.

You have bad landlords and good landlords and the same goes for owner occupiers.

Oh I know there are good and bad everywhere. I was just thinking about the reasons why some tenants are wary of it. The owner occupier in my little story could have made me uncomfortable about staying at weekends, whereas if I'd been sharing with another tenant who was on more of an equal footing with I would laugh at the suggestion that I should leave to give them space.

Advertisement