Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a good pub...

Options
  • 01-07-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm looking to meet some new people at the moment, and I'd love to find a good pub where I can meet some likeminded souls. However, I've never been much of a drinker, so I don't know much about which pubs are best. I'd like a pub where:

1. It's a fairly quiet relaxed atmosphere, no loud music or TV, just lots of people talking.
    2. It's easy to meet new people.
    3. The clientele are a bit eccentric, and more intellectual (or pseudo intellectual ;) )
    4. Plenty of people around my own age (24)
    5. Decent gender balance (I'd like to meet some women, if possible, my workplace is 99% male).

I'd be looking for somewhere either in the center of Dublin or near Maynooth/Leixlip.

If you can think of something that fits the bill that isn't a pub I'd also be interested in hearing. I'm just looking for somewhere I can hang out when I'm off work and feeling a little social.

I've also been trying meetup groups as well, but I fairly frequently find myself passing through town on a friday evening with nothing to do, so having somewhere I can "default" to would be nice. The last time I wandered through town, all the pubs I found were either filled with overly loud piped music, or everyone was middle aged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Give Grogan's on South William St. a lash. It has quite an eclectic clientele, decent pints and is very central. Flann O'Brien even mentions it in his masterpiece At Swim Two Birds.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Passenger wrote: »
    Give Grogan's on South William St. a lash. It has quite an eclectic clientele, decent pints and is very central. Flann O'Brien even mentions it in his masterpiece At Swim Two Birds.

:)

+1

Grogan's matches all the points you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

I agree with Grogans.

Also try:

The Stags head on Dame court
    The Thomas house in the liberties ( day time before the gigs etc are on)
    The Speakeasy café bar on South Georges street
    The Bernard Shaw in Portobello ( day time again as it gets lively in the evening)
    Sin E on the North Quays. just by Grattan Bridge.
    Kennedys by Tara Station
    Oscars in Smithfield
    Flowing Tide by the Abbey Theatre

Avoiding alcohol, I think a lot of the trendier cafes would suit you:

Foam on Great Strand Street
    Fumbally in the liberties
    Bibis in Portobello
    Wuff in Smithfield
    Third space in Smithfield
    Accents by Stephens green
    café upstairs in tower records - forget the name
    café in the IFI in Temple bar

Plenty more but some to aim at to keep you busy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Oscars in Smithfield?

Is this new? Where is this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

the ha'penny bridge inn would tick all your boxes,as would tp smiths or the gin palace,both on abbey st.also brogans on dame st. next door to the Olympia theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

sticksman wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but there seems to be a new place on the junction of Capel St and Strand St? It looks like it could suit the OP. Has anybody visited yet?

You are joking aren't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

reprazant wrote: »
    Oscars in Smithfield?

Is this new? Where is this place?

Yes new cafe bar where number 6 was, nice spot been there a few times and food looks good. No website but there on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

not yet wrote: »
    You are joking aren't you.

I read that and thought "Nealon's? Why would anyone think Nealon's is new?"

Then I realised he was referring to Panti bar and trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be sure to try a few of them.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I read that and thought "Nealon's? Why would anyone think Nealon's is new?"

Then I realised he was referring to Panti bar and trying to be funny.

Nealons would fit the bill thou, nice quiet pint, good mix of people.

• Advertisement

That's true. The only time the TV is on loud in there is when there's a big match on.

And they do toasties.

Lovely.

That's true. The only time the TV is on loud in there is when there's a big match on.

And they do toasties.

Lovely.

Great pint, people leave you alone if you want or chat if you want. And you're only 5 min from Temple bar if you choose to go mad.

Great pint, people leave you alone if you want or chat if you want. And you're only 5 min from Temple bar if you choose to go mad.

See you there in 10 minutes? :pac:

See you there in 10 minutes? :pac:

Ha Ha I'm out in meath but from that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I am surprised nobody mentioned The Market Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

He said he was looking for a good bar..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Nealons is now seen as 'gay friendly' whatever that means. Last time I was there it was just full of men. Not what OP wanted.
    In b4 homophobic bashing. I'm just saying OP wanted a 50% mix

Nealons is now seen as 'gay friendly' whatever that means.

Gay Friendly - does that mean they're friendly to gays or the gays in there are friendly?

They're right across from Panti Bar and I know they sometimes have 'Bear' nights upstairs in Nealon's so it's not a pub that would in anyway frown on anyone for being gay.

But it's still a regular pub. Probably more men than women in there but I've rarely found it to be exclusively male in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Nealons is now seen as 'gay friendly' whatever that means. Last time I was there it was just full of men. Not what OP wanted.
    In b4 homophobic bashing. I'm just saying OP wanted a 50% mix

Correct. Though higher then 50% would also be welcome ;). Going to try Grogans first, and maybe some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Against the Grain. It has flavoursome beers and, more often than not, a young, slightly offbeat crowd.

Your tastebuds deserve a place like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Against the Grain. It has flavoursome beers and, more often than not, a young, slightly offbeat crowd.

Many many beards though!! I think we need a new 'bearded hipsters' / 'no bearded hipsters' pub metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Against the Grain really need to sort out their wine list, €6 for a glass of Pinot Grigio. Cheapest wine around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Great spot on Francis Street!

mh2e.jpg

Advertisement