Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas BBQ Recommendations

Options
  • 01-07-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a BBQ freak... I love it! to the point that I've traveled to take classes in competition BBQ and hope to take part in one later this year/early next. I've always thought of a gas bbq as the dark side but as I get older (lasier!) I'm warming to the idea of one. I have a weber charcoal grill and a weber smokey mountain and ideally I'd love a weber gas bbq but they a tad expensive.. I've looked in the UK and they're still pricey there, considered bringing one in from the states to save a few quid...

Main reason I'm considering gas is just for handiness, came home from work today and fancied sticking some steaks on my weber grill but by the time I clean it, light it and cook it I'd have finished eating n cleaning a gas grill.. Basically, looking for gas for Mon-Fri and will use my charcoal grill n smoker for the weekends....

Anyways, has anyone any recommendations for other brands of gas bbq?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Have used gas BBQ for 20 years and can say broil king way ahead of any other I have used. You get what you pay for. Ps got a safari top of the range one in woodies a few years ago and in short useless. It just would not generate the heat necessary to cook a steak well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Where'd u get the broil king? Have heard good stuff about them but haven't seen one in the flesh.. or metal

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Heart and home on the fonthill rd are the agents. I got the natural gas version but my brothers have the bottled units for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Get the Weber gas. Yes it is expensive but they work the best, last forever and all the bits can be easily sourced and replaced as the wear out. I BBQ/Grill all year round and cook outside 2 to 3 times a week in wind, rain or shine and think of my BBQ as an normal cooking appliance. If you are going to cook outside a lot (sounds like you will be) then you will not regret getting the Weber.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007T6JAAO/ref=pd_aw_sbs_lp_1?pi=SS115

my wife got me one of these for fathers day and I'm very happy with it so far. :)

6 burners plus a side burner for 250 odd delivered, so it was a proper bargain and I'm ready for any size family bbq.

still got to get the rotisserie yoke to go with it, but other than that, all sorted.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007T6JAAO/ref=pd_aw_sbs_lp_1?pi=SS115

my wife got me one of these for fathers day and I'm very happy with it so far. :)

6 burners plus a side burner for 250 odd delivered, so it was a proper bargain and I'm ready for any size family bbq.

still got to get the rotisserie yoke to go with it, but other than that, all sorted.

Interesting, whats the build quality on it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

better than I thought tbh, can't argue for the price of it. some reviewers said they had minor dents in some of the panels, but mine were all perfect.

didn't come with a regulator and hose, but I used the one from my old 2 burner bbq I got here in Woodies a few years ago that this one was bought to replace and it works perfectly.

also mention of people not getting enough pressure for the 6 burners, but mine was fine, even with all 6 burners lit.

no.1 big gas bbq on Amazon and for good reason imho. should probably qualify for a Bargain Alert. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

We got a weber gas to go with the smokey mountain. Great build quality on the weber gas as expected, only problem is we got one with only one burner, which restricts you a bit.
    Fine for steaks, chops, chicken breasts etc but can't set it up for indirect cooking or smoking ... not so bad when we have the smoker, but something to watch out for.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey Guys

Im also looking for a Gas BBQ, anyone have recomendations of good ones available at the moment?

I dont need a very big one, but I would like to buy a good quality one.

I'm still searching and after looking at a load of brands Weber seems to be the best by a good bit. The build quality is far better than any of the others I saw, only problem is the price... In fairness tho, it should easily last you 20 odd years+. Over that amount of time it'll work out cheaper than having to buy X amount of cheaper ones.. Bro in law has spent over €400 in the last 4 years on BBQ's... Told him to stop buying crap n get a Weber, he still went out n bought a cheapy one a few weeks ago, already starting to rust..

I'm just gonna hold off n save me nuts off... Have my eyes on a Weber Summit S-470.

• Advertisement

Jesus! My car is barely worth that :P

I came across this one on hotukdeals, but it didnt get very hot

http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/outback-meteor-red-4-burner-gas-bbq.asp

I believe outbacks have a 10 year warranty, or at least so the poster said. I was thinking more along that kind of price range!

EDIT: Just a heads up, delivery to Ireland seems to be £10 so all in all not too bad.

£260 delivered with a cover and it is a 10 year waranty

EDIT EDIT: Actually im not sure how much postage is, as it seems to be above the 30kg weight limit on the £10 postage

LAST EDIT: Its £50 for postage :(

check how easy to source and the cost of the bits that you need routinely replace from time to time. The grates, flavour bars and burners do not last that long on any BBQ if you use a lot you will need to get them replaced from time to time. No point buying a good BBQ if you cannot get hold of replacement parts easily.

Thanks, I didn't really consider that.

It doesn't seem too bad actually, there is a decent few sites selling the outback stuff

Still really tempted by this! I'd say I'll go for it once i get the necessary permission and documentation from the boss!

two other very important tips.

- make sure your BBQ has good options to cook using indirect heat. This usually means that you have at least three controllable burners at either left-middle-right or front-middle-rear. This way you can cook food in indirect heat placing in middle while only have the front/rear or left/right burners on. This is pretty important for cooking fatty items (especially chicken) or for long slow BBQing (e.g. pulled pork) where you cannot have a flame under the meat.

- grate space is very important and you need a lot more than you think. e.g. If you think you want to do a max of 4 large steaks at a time them you need space for at least 8. So gets something with a large grate area especially if you plan to have larger groups over to eat.

Does the one in my link look good? (ignoring the flashy red look!)

There isnt that many reviews of it, but any I found seem to be positive

Does the one in my link look good? (ignoring the flashy red look!)

There isnt that many reviews of it, but any I found seem to be positive

I would only get that one if the griddle can be replaced with normal grates otherwise the BBQ area is much too small.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    two other very important tips.

- make sure your BBQ has good options to cook using indirect heat. This usually means that you have at least three controllable burners at either left-middle-right or front-middle-rear. This way you can cook food in indirect heat placing in middle while only have the front/rear or left/right burners on. This is pretty important for cooking fatty items (especially chicken) or for long slow BBQing (e.g. pulled pork) where you cannot have a flame under the meat.

Great advice. Gives you a lot more options if you can set up for indirect.

F.

So yeah, ordered a BBQ today.

Went completely the opposite way and got a Webber 57cm One Touch Classic (Charcoal!)

I got it from BBQworld with a cover and a Chimney Starter for £130 + £10 P&P - Link here

Seems to be a pretty good price as woodies are €180 for the 47cm version including the cover and the chimney

The Chimney was the thing that changed my mind, it seems to be a great little yoke:

I also couldn't resist getting the poultry roaster

I was hungry after researching stuff today!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

So yeah, ordered a BBQ today.

Went completely the opposite way and got a Webber 57cm One Touch Classic (Charcoal!)

We bought the 47cm one earlier in the summer. After years of using gas we wanted to go back to charcoal and we've used it lots. The chimney starter takes all the hassle out of lighting it. It was on special offer in Newlands Garden Centre, €149.99 for the BBQ, a cover and a bag of Weber briquettes.

Don't use firelighters the way they do in that vid... There's no need for them and they stink and will affect the taste of the food.. Really, all you need is some scrunched up paper.. I've had my chimney starter for 2yrs now, be lost without it!

The Weber Kettle is a great bbq, you can do a tonne with it.. I did a roast leg of lamb on mine last week, was unreal.. Even the mother in law who was very very very skeptical about doing it on the Weber was amazed. She was convinced BBQ's where for burgers, burning sausages n chicken wings..

You'll be wanting this next... You haven't had ribs till you've had them on a smoker ;)

• Advertisement

I didnt do too much looking around in local shops to compare prices, but it did seem that site was pretty cheap.
    unklerosco wrote: »
    Don't use firelighters the way they do in that vid... There's no need for them and they stink and will affect the taste of the food.. Really, all you need is some scrunched up paper.. I've had my chimney starter for 2yrs now, be lost without it!

The Weber Kettle is a great bbq, you can do a tonne with it.. I did a roast leg of lamb on mine last week, was unreal.. Even the mother in law who was very very very skeptical about doing it on the Weber was amazed. She was convinced BBQ's where for burgers, burning sausages n chicken wings..

You'll be wanting this next... You haven't had ribs till you've had them on a smoker ;)

Yeah there is a different video with the dude using a newspaper, but it is 10 mins long!

Yeah I can not wait to try, hopefully we get a couple of dry evenings so I can give it a whirl.

I guess it will be a good while before I have ribs so :)

BBQ got delivered today after I ordered it late Friday evening, so pretty quick turn around.

I am moving house in the middle of September, so I have to try figure do I want to un-pack it before I go.

Originally I thought no... but I can feel my mind changing already!

Just regards price, it does seem to be the best price for the one touch classic that I could find. B&Q had a 57cm one for €130, but it isn't the same, it was a barb b kettle or something (not sure what the difference is)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I got a Weber three ring gas BBQ last year and it is amazing piece of equipment. Its the Genesis e330 model cant fault it at all.

http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-genesis-e330-black.asp

The sear station for cooking steaks is amazing and really ups the heat to crazy levels. I do a steak at one min a side and it is simply delicious.

Ummmm steak :)

I have that smoker unklerosco, it's A1 :)
    Does a lovely (hot) smoked salmon too.
    F.

Advertisement