Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 Broken after 3 days

• 01-07-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all

Bought an iphone 5 on contract from western cellular (vodafone agent) on saturday and noticed a rattling inside the phone when shaken slightly and when phone is ringing or moved around.

Went back to the today (Monday) to speak with the sales guy and explain the problem. I explained i was concerned it may be a faulty phone and would like it replaced as it was only 48 hours old.

I was told they would send it away and would be a week or two before it came back and in mean time i would be given use of a Nokia 100 until it came back and if there was a fault in the phone itd be repaired or replaced.

am i being unreasonable to ask for a replacement immediately as the phone is brand new and cant be stuck with a brick for 2 weeks?

what are my rights in this situation?

Been told i have to bring the phone back to them before 3pm Tuesday this week if i want it to be sent away this week.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

There's a rattle from the camera which is perfectly normal and not a fault. Many people mistake this as a loose part and think the phone is faulty. It should be more noticeable when you tap the rear of the phone near the camera (but almost non existent when you tap further down). Is this what your hearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 galway2011

It seems to be coming from the top of the phone but rattles even when tapped at the bottom by the dock connector. and rattles when the phone is shaken slightly side to side.

they tried the phones instore and couldnt hear the rattle on them phones just mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Ok just make sure its not the camera lens rattle, cause every iPhone will make the same noise. If I tap very lightly on the bottom of my iPhone 5 I cant hear anything, whereas a light tap at the top will reproduce the noise every time. There could just be a loose part elsewhere though.

Regarding asking for a exchange, it depends on the store/company policy. I've worked in various phone shops and their return and exchange policies vary quite a bit. Some will offer an exchange if the fault can be verified/replicated in store. Another would flat out not exchange after the time of purchase and require faulty handsets to be sent for repair (which sounds similar to what you have heard). It just depends on the shop, you can press them but they may not be able to do it due to store policy (regardless of how much you argue).

Trust me when I say it can be frustrating for staff when they are restricted in how much they can help you, and you'll find that the companies are usually within their rights by offering a repair (I'm not trying to start a legal debate here).

For the record I dont think you're unreasonable to ask for a exchange if its only new and was faulty out of the box, but it might not be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Dave6195 wrote: »
    There's a rattle from the camera which is perfectly normal and not a fault. Many people mistake this as a loose part and think the phone is faulty. It should be more noticeable when you tap the rear of the phone near the camera (but almost non existent when you tap further down). Is this what your hearing?

Now I know people like their iphones, but this has been a well documented fault in the iphone. The "it's perfectly normal" for a €600 phone that's all about style to shake like a baby's toy excuse, really shouldn't be acceptable.

I think it's a faster service though if you send it back to apple directly, something like €29. There are other people here will know the details better than I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I thought if you returned it withing 14 days they would give you a replacement straight away. Personally i would bypass them and go to apple, ring there helpline, you have 90 days applecare with your product so they will get a replacement to u pretty quickly.

as for the rattle its the vibrating motor that rattles, but what you describe seems to be more than the normal rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bit of a sensational thread title. Anyway to get it replaced by apple straight away you will have to give them a CC to put a holdof 5/600 euro til they get your phone back and they charge 29 euro for the service. Other than that you can do the normal return and you should have a replacement on the same day you sent it off of the following week.

Advertisement