Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth the move

Options
  • 01-07-2013 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have recently moved to new shared accommodation where I am the only female to the other house mates. I have settled in its just im used to living with girls only. Its difficult to get into there basic household routines that some I don't really agree with. Sometimes using electrical appliances when there are most common economically friendly ways to replace, which prob adds on to bills I presume. They are really nice and easy going just small things can get to you after a while. One of them is the house owner also which is fine.

I went to use the hoover one day as I have carpet in the room, and I had to be shown the knack how to work it,,,which they didn't know and then found it didn't work at all, after 20 mins. Shouldnt a homeowner really have these items available if your going to rent? Saying that My room is great and transports handy.

It prob seems extreme but im considering moving. Are these small things worth moving. I know no house is perfect. But its hard here as theres not much cooperstion with cleaning either, or non at all. :confused:

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mc Kenzie wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have recently moved to new shared accommodation where I am the only female to the other house mates. I have settled in its just im used to living with girls only. Its difficult to get into there basic household routines that some I don't really agree with. Sometimes using electrical appliances when there are most common economically friendly ways to replace, which prob adds on to bills I presume. They are really nice and easy going just small things can get to you after a while. One of them is the house owner also which is fine.

I went to use the hoover one day as I have carpet in the room, and I had to be shown the knack how to work it,,,which they didn't know and then found it didn't work at all, after 20 mins. Shouldnt a homeowner really have these items available if your going to rent? Saying that My room is great and transports handy.

It prob seems extreme but im considering moving. Are these small things worth moving. I know no house is perfect. But its hard here as theres not much cooperstion with cleaning either, or non at all. :confused:

Like what?

The effect that the vast majority of home appliances have on the electric bill (at least the ones with genuine alternatives) is going to be negligible.

You'll save money if you start washing your clothes by hand, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

One of them is the house owner also which is fine.

Most important sentence.

The homeowner has no obligations to you at all and you have very few tenancy rights while living there.
    In your situation you take it or leave it. You can talk to the owner and ask him for a new hoover or whatever but he does not need to supply one.

Other than that I cannot see any issue here. You said they are nice, the location is good, so yes I would say it seems extreme to be considering moving based on a hoover. Are there other issues you have not mentioned?

I echo what awec says below too re appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

awec wrote: »
    Like what?

The effect that the vast majority of home appliances have on the electric bill (at least the ones with genuine alternatives) is going to be negligible.

You'll save money if you start washing your clothes by hand, etc.

Actually what i meant here is that they keep using electrical dryer instead of drying in outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Hi all,

Are these small things worth moving.

I don't know, are they?
    Surely you're the best person to decide on this, as opposed to a load of strangers on an internt forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Actually what i meant here is that they keep using electrical dryer instead of drying in outside.

I certainly wouldnt be impressed if the dryer was on the go all the time, and I wouldnt want to be paying the electric for someone elses drying in this scenario. The best thing to do is talk to the owner and explain to him your concern, and if he wont see sense then its your call as to whether its a big enough issue to warrant moving (taking all of the positives of the property into account).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree that using an electric dryer is a lot more expensive than hanging clothes out on a line, or using clothes horses. But it is also a lot more convenient than having to run outside to bring your clothes every time it rains, or bumping into clothes horses all the time. You also don't have to wait 2 days to get heavy things like towels dry. Nor do you have to run around to whip all the knickers & socks off all the rads every time there is a knock at the door.

There are two sides to every story, and seeing as one of the other people living there is the owner of the house, I thinks she gets to say what is what. You could sit her down and say that as you are paying part of the bills, its fair that you have a say in how the appliances that use the most electricity are used. If the dryer is on all the time, you could suggest that instead of everyone doing their own laundry and maybe putting just a couple of things in the dryer, you do communal loads to save money. But at the end of the day, it's still her house and what she says goes really, like it or lump it.

I don't think it's an issue that is worth moving over, especially if you really like it there & it is handy for work. What if you move and your next house mate leaves all the lights on, no matter what room she is in, or always forgets to turn the immersion off? Are you going to want to move from there again there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How about simply suggesting that everyone puts €2 in a jar or something like that every time they want to use the dryer, and at the end of the month that money goes towards the electric bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Everyone has different value systems but...I'm assuming the cost of the electrical bills is shared equally among everyone, but you feel you are paying more than your fair-share because you don't use the dryer?

I'd start by looking at how much you are paying and estimating how much you think you'd be paying if nobody used the dryer.

I'm just pulling this from another poster on boards.ie - but they say:
    if you go on the the esb site there should be a calculator, i use the dryer 6 times a week and that works out at around 30€ for 2 months.

Six times per week seems awful extreme to me, but you'd know better than I how often they use it. Still, it's quite possible the entire issue of them using the dryer verse not using the dryer might work out to something like 5-10 euro, per month, out of your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

It's not just the dryer though. The op also mentions having no functional Hoover (I know there's no legal issues, but it's something anyone has a right to expect when renting- esp if living with an owner occupier. As well as that, there's a mention of a lack of cleaning going on. Sounds like this girl has moved in with a crowd of lads who don't have any interest in cleaning up after themselves. It would drive me crazy after a while. It's hard to deal with. If she's the only one it bothers, then the options are a) doing as the Romans do b) cleaning up after them c)trying to get them on board with a cleaning rota or d) move out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

I don't know, are they?
    Surely you're the best person to decide on this, as opposed to a load of strangers on an internt forum.

I don't think im doing any harm by looking for help on boards about my living situation. Im not only looking for answers just, to see what others would do and as I did not have anyone to speak to as I dont know too many people here, I was glad to have boards to express the situation and get some feedback. Isnt that what boards is about?

So thanks every one for reading an supporting with your comments :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement