Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to Germany

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Where would be the best place to go in germany for like a week, would love to check the country out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭donadoni

It depends what you like.
    Berlin or Hamburg for the night life.

Bavaria (based in Munich perhaps) for the scenery and the life style (beer gardens, food, weather is generally good in the summer etc...)

The Rhein and Mosel area and the south west of Germany if you like wine and for a look at typical German culture.

I think the best would be if you'd go for two weeks maybe and travel around a bit to get some of everything.

I'd give the very north a miss if you're Irish. While it has it's own charme, it's not much different to here in terms of weather and scenery, which is all about the sea, and that is much nicer and more spectacular in Ireland.

Parts of the East (former GDR) are interesting in relation to untouched wilderness in an industrial country and how things are developing in a place that was something like 40 years behind the west only 15 - 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What kind of stuff are you into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

i would like to add the lake constance area as one of the most beautiful parts of germany…has a lot to offer and can easily be combined with a day or two in munich or the black forest…as others have already said, it all depens on what you are into…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So Ive picked Cologne(Koln), it had the most benefits regarding it was cheaper, historic more than modern and was closer to my German friends than Berlin.
    So has anyone any tips about cologne?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom) is a must visit! I would also highly recommend going up the right tower as it has spectacular views of its Gothic structure, the river Rhine and the city. (entrance €3)

The city has many museums but I would recommend the compact Cologne City Museum (Kölnisches Stadtmuseum ) housed in the "Zeughaus" building. You would quickly get a feel for Cologne as you go through the history of the city from the Middle Ages to the present day. (entrance €5)

If you are into football then FC Cologne (1.FC Köln) is a good fan stadium to visit. Although they are only playing in the second division, most games have a full house with great atmosphere. They are playing Düsseldorf in a local derby next Sunday.

Kölsch is the name of a type of lager beer that is exclusively brewed around the Cologne region. It's served in a very small glass (0.2 litre) but no panic. you will automatically get served a fresh glass. Your beer mat will be marked with every new beer so you know how many beers you have to pay for when you leave the bar.

It's very hot here at the moment (35°C) so any Biergarten is the place to be. The Stadtgarten on Venloer Straße is very popular. If you want to get in contact with ex-pats then Jamesons on Friesenstrasse is a good address, there you should get up to date tips for clubs etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement