Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Dog Adoption

• 02-07-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there, I'm hoping to adopt a dog soon. We've been to a few charities but they don't seem too keen on us adopting as when it's not during the summer, we can be away for up to 4 or 5 hours some mornings during the week (usually only two days) and are unsure about where the dog will sleep (we plan for him/her to decide, but they don't like the fact we have a kennel for him/her to sleep in). That is a policy and I understand it, we just are a bit disappointed that this is being looked down on so much. We'd be okay with the dog sleeping inside except we've an open plan house and my mother is afraid the dog will raid the kitchen. I'm fine with having the dog in a crate to sleep in but she thinks it is cruel. Otherwise, I think we're pretty good - first time owners but we would give lots of exercise and have a medium size back garden. I'm the middle child, and the dog will be mainly my responsibility which maybe seems wrong but I've been preparing for a long time- over six years. And I love dogs so, so much.
    We were thinking of trying the pound. However, we do have a younger child in the house (he's almost ten) and would have to be kindof sure that the dog wouldn't be aggressive towards him. There is always adoption on selling sites but I worry the owners are untrustworthy sometimes. What are your experiences in pounds? And would you have any tips for looking after a rescue dog in a busy (and can be impatient) family who aren't used to, nor have an extreme love for dogs?
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

xKairi wrote: »
    And would you have any tips for looking after a rescue dog in a busy (and can be impatient) family who aren't used to, nor have an extreme love for dogs?
    Thank you :)

I homecheck for a rescue and I can only say that a lot of stuff in your post rang bells with me but mostly what you have posted above.

Are you sure you and your family are ready for a dog?

The first thing I make sure of when I visit a home is that everyone is present and that everyone is as eager as the person driving the adoption to get a dog. Life happens to us all and a rescue needs to know that if that person gets sick/goes on holiday/something else happens that the rest of the family are willing and able to look after the dog properly.

Good rescues want dogs to sleep inside as this means the dog will be part of the family not something stuck in the back garden, more risk of the dog being ignored in this case, developing problem behaviours and being shipped back to them broken. Rescue dogs have ended up in rescue because their owners have let them down once if not more already. If they have been lucky enough to get a rescue space and not to have been put to sleep in one of the countries many pounds then I hope you can see why these rescues want to make sure that their new life is the best it can possibly be. That is not to say that there aren't good outdoor homes either but rescues are stretched beyond capacity and can't always evaluate this on a case by case basis so sleeping indoors is usually a blanket rule.

Most dogs coming from foster homes through rescues will have been crate trained so if a dog is already used to it perhaps your mother won't think it's cruel.

Also what happens if you decide to leave home/go travelling/emigrate/have a full time job? Who takes care of the dog then? Would they even want to? Would the dog recieve the same level of care and attention? This dog will most likely be around for the next 10+ years. This is why alot of charities will view the adoption more favourably if it's the parents driving the adoption and not one of the children. I see it time and time again where an older child is the extremely keen one and the parents just kind of go along with it. In fact I had one case where one child organised the whole thing we did the homecheck on her parents house, they came back to us afterwards and said they weren't ready for a dog which was a pity as it had gone well. Next thing I know we're getting dogs abuse from the child as they told her they'd failed the homecheck and somehow we ended up having our time wasted and being the bad guys!

These are just a few things that occured to me when I read your post from a homecheckers point of view. While you may be ready your post doesn't read to me as if your family are so I think it just might not be the right time for you.

Edited to add: You come across as a thoughtful young woman. Perhaps you could look into volunteering at a shelter or there are some pounds that allow volunteers into walk the dogs during your summer holidays. That way you get your dog fix and are helping at the same time. Plus you'll get more of an insight into rescue dogs in preparation for your own, trust me, volunteering is a big eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xKairi

Hi there. Thanks for your answer. I completely understand where you're coming from with al your points and they all sound completely valid.
    I would say that yes, we are prepared for a dog. We've been preparing for almost a year - injuries and holidays kept putting the date further and further. The issue is not with the dog completely - my mother has heard a lot of bad stories concerning dogs and she's worried he/she will wreak havoc. That is why we have looked almost everywhere and would prefer if the dog was not a puppy. My parents have never been around dogs so though they want a dog, they are also very wary. We all want to treat the dog as a member of the family though.
    When I move out, get a job, emigrate, etc, I have agreed completely to take the dog with me and look after him/her no matter what. I would consider the dog before any of my decisions. Perhaps that seems laughable, or like I'll change my mind within a few months of getting the dog (though I've made a contract with my parents that I will not) but honestly, I swear, I have been planning a dog for six years. Though not all my family are as eager as me (namely my elder brother, but he's around 20% of the time and doesn't really care), I've made agreements with the family that if I am sick or away, they will look after the dog well.
    In truth, my parents are not as extremely excited and over-eager as I am, but they never will be more eager. They don't completely know what it's like to be living with a dog, and are slightly nervous for that reason, but are hoping for the dog to be a great new addition. I'll pay for most the healthcare, food, etc, but if I can't afford something they've agreed to pay. I'm hoping to get pet insurance, even if just for peace of mind.
    I'm not going to say we're the perfect dog adopters, and we do need a reasonably trained dog which can be seemingly greedy, but I guarantee the dog will be loved and well looked after.
    As your idea for volunteering, that is a great idea! The age I must be is sixteen for volunteering in the DSPCA and I'm not yet sixteen though. However, I'll certainly look into volunteering at the local pound.
    Thanks a million for your reply, and I completely understand your doubt. I've definitely considered a few of your points and will try to talk it out with my parents to make sure of a few things. I'm also very admiring of your dedication - I really encourage and thank you for your hard work helping dogs across the country. Sorry if I come across as selfish/immature or anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Don't worry, you didn't come across as anything but someone who would want the best for your dog.

That's admirable, it really is. But I really think you need to be realistic. Vet care is expensive, training costs are expensive. Have you any idea how hard it is to find accomodation with a dog or how much it costs to emigrate with one? If you go to a college where you can't live at home I can tell you now it will be next to impossible to find a place that will take you and a dog.

I know your heart is in the right place and please don't think I'm being condescending but at under 16 you really don't have a good idea of how much your life is going to change in the next 10 years. I really don't think you should be tying yourself down with a dog unless your parents are really going to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xKairi

Toulouse wrote: »
    Don't worry, you didn't come across as anything but someone who would want the best for your dog.

That's admirable, it really is. But I really think you need to be realistic. Vet care is expensive, training costs are expensive. Have you any idea how hard it is to find accomodation with a dog or how much it costs to emigrate with one? If you go to a college where you can't live at home I can tell you now it will be next to impossible to find a place that will take you and a dog.

I know your heart is in the right place and please don't think I'm being condescending but at under 16 you really don't have a good idea of how much your life is going to change in the next 10 years. I really don't think you should be tying yourself down with a dog unless your parents are really going to step up.

Thank you. Really, thank you. I'll talk about this it's them and the rest of the family. If they are not eager about playing their part, then I will reconsider. Hopefully one day I will be able to get a dog of my own though.
    Thanks again, and please continue your great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Toulouse wrote: »

I would agree with Toulouse on this one.

You come across as very level-headed and sensible and certainly you've put a lot more thought into this than many so called adults who buy a puppy on a whim from the classified ads! Many thousands of years ago when I was 15, I actually did go and get a puppy, against my parents wishes (especially my dads), it worked out well, my dad had grown up with dogs and was a real dog lover so it wasn't a hard sell but really it was a pretty dumb thing to do!! But as Toulouse says, you don't have a good idea of just how much your life will change over the next 5/10 years and if you are moving away for uni or work, chances are you will not be able to find a place that will let you take your dog and even if you do, you will have to find some sort of dog walker / day care for the dog whilst you're at uni/work. I do think the volunteer work suggestion is a brilliant one and maybe once you're 16 and you get volunteering somewhere, you could foster a dog for a week or two or three and you and your parents could get a real taste of what life would be like.

Good luck anyways, it's really nice to hear someone putting so much thought into getting a dog, I wish more people did that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

xKairi, as the mother of a dog-mad teen daughter, could I just say to you that no matter how much of a dog lover you are, if you are in school, your parent(s) will end up taking most care of the dog. For the summer, you will be around, but come Sept when you are back in school, whoever is at home will have the feeding/walking/toilet-breaks etc to worry about. If you are the one in the house who really wants the dog (and the others less enthuastic) you should really consider waiting until you are in a place of your own and in a position to have your own dog 100%.

Why dont you advertise in your local shop for someone who is looking for a dog sitter or dog walker for the summer, that way you could spend some time with some dog "friends" until you are able to have a dog of your very own??

(and other well done for being sensible enough to have the dogs welfare so much at heart to come looking for advise! :))

Advertisement