Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far is too far for pro lifers?

• 02-07-2013 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

So today there was a woman walking around my town with five kids, the five kids were going house to house handing out leaflets, mini versions of those signs that that are littering ever town in Ireland at the moment. I found it disgusting, the idea that someone would involve children in what is an adult issue.

I understand that pro lifers are unhappy with the new legislation, they are well within their rights to voice their opinions that's fine, but this is an issue for adults, I you believe in something that's fine but don't drag your kids into it and get them to campaign for you. I wasn't at home this evening but of they came to the door I would have had a seriously hard time refraining from calling that woman over and telling her that if she was so much about the protection of children then perhaps she shouldn't be using her own as pawns for her agenda and making them hand out leaflets for something which they can't nor should they properly understand yet.

If you want to campaign for anything that's fine by me but this is just going too far in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You'd try to talk sense to her? Reasonably?

:confused:

You haven't met one before, have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If they came to my house I would have scrunched it up in front of them and dropped it on the ground.

You can scrunch up a house!!!!!???

DUUUUUUUUUUDE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't worry, the kids are fine with it. Sure it's a self preservation thing them thinking only a few short years ago they too could have been for the chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Can all high horse jockeys please shut the fcuk up in advance.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

FanadMan wrote: »
    If they came to my house I would have scrunched it up in front of them and dropped it on the ground.

Or just hold the leaflet in one hand, a hanger in the other, and move them towards each other while doing the Jaws music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

can you even life bro

Self preservation? A few short years ago?

I don't get you. Do the 'pro-life' campaign have access to a time machine? Are they threatening their own kids with retrospective abortion?

endacl wrote: »
    You can scrunch up a house!!!!!???

DUUUUUUUUUUDE!

:P:D:P:D

Self preservation? A few short years ago?

I don't get you. Do the 'pro-life' campaign have access to a time machine? Are they threatening their own kids with retrospective abortion?

Welcome to AH, do enjoy your stay.

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    Or just hold the leaflet in one hand, a hanger in the other, and move them towards each other while doing the Jaws music.

Now that actually sounds better than just scrunching up the leaflet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Can all high horse jockeys please shut the fcuk up in advance.

Thank you.

But I just brought my highest horse out of the stables.

Hold on.....

Are the high horse jockeys the goodies or the baddies on this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Anybody know what the point of the pro life campaigne is,the public don't have a say in the legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

"Pro lifers" ugh the contempt I hold for those morons, now i'll go to sleep angry because I've been reminded those narrow minded extremists actually exist.

Frynge wrote: »
    But I just brought my highest horse out of the stables.

You've been told. Now don't get me all worked up.

Hold on.....

Are the high horse jockeys the goodies or the baddies on this one?

Ed Zakery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

You'd try to talk sense to her? Reasonably?

You haven't met one before, have you?
    Being honest I was just being polite, knowing me it would probably end with her being told that I ****ing love abortions, that I get pregnant just so I can have one, and to well **** off.
    orestes wrote: »
    That's just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If they have no trouble trying to impose their will upon others they certainly won't have any issues with imposing it upon their children.

The only anti choice person worth talking to is someone who defends actual children as vehemently as they do embryos. There are very few of these. Most ant choice lobby groups come with extremely dodgy people attached to them or are outwardly homophobic or misogynistic. All they want to do impose their will upon others because once you can get people to abide by your hypocritical moral code you can begin to control them i.e Ireland under the Catholic Church from 1920-1990s.

I would very much like to hear a secular argument from an anti choice person that does go along the lines of "BABIES wha wha MORALS wha wha MIDDLE AGES wha wha" because all this is is a cover. The lobbyist make a lot of money from it so I expect it from them but a normal person I do not.

kneemos wrote: »
    Anybody know what the point of the pro life campaigne is,the public don't have a say in the legislation?
    The point of the pro-life campaign is to harass vulnerable women.

• Advertisement

The point of the pro-life campaign is to harass vulnerable women.

No, it's a marketing campaign for high horse studs.

I think the voices of both sides of the argument have been embarrasing and irrational and have probably restricted many people from voicing an opinion. Neither side would have helped me make up mind on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MrGreenfun

well im totally against abortion i think it is wrong to kill a child no matter what but that is my opinion and i cannot/shouldnot enforce that on ANYONE

Same kids handing out leaflets probably go home after to play call of duty and kill mercilessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

What i dont understand is the posters you see. Ie "Abortion never saves the mother, just kills the baby" etc
    Er? did they have their heads in the sand while the Savita Halappanavar case was happening?

If they are going to campaign, at least they should get the basic facts right first.

Skatedude wrote: »
    What i dont understand is the posters you see. Ie "Abortion never saves the mother, just kills the baby" etc
    Er? did they have their heads in the sand while the Savita Halappanavar case was happening?

If they are going to campaign, at least they should get the basic facts right first.

To them, the mother is of no consequence at all. They just go by what the local priest is spieling down at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Skatedude wrote: »

Don't be so inconvenient! :mad:

It's not that they don't have the facts - but that the facts don't suit their theology, so they rewrite them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Is there not one pro-lifer here tonight?
    Where is Jackass?

I would be pro-life.
    I am pro-life.
    But for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

policarp wrote: »
    Is there not one pro-lifer here tonight?
    Where is Jackass?

I would be pro-life.
    I am pro-life.
    But for different reasons.

I not by name then by nature -

I dunnah, man pro-life sounds a bit full-on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I would very much like to hear a secular argument from an anti choice person

Come on, when you call them that you have no interest in listening.

Your mind is already made up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I not by name then by nature -

I dunnah, man pro-life sounds a bit full-on.

Pro life to me means (me being a male) that my unborn child (fetus) has some chance of life.
    I surely must have some say in that.

Pro life to me means (me being a male) that my unborn child (fetus) has some chance of life.

I think it is your goddamned, god-given right

we shouldn't allow ourselves to be raped like this and put up with the brunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No, you shouldn't. Because it's not inside your body. You can't just decide for someone else that you want to have a child, even if you are fcuking that person. You're just spilling some seed, that doesn't give you any rights over what a lady chooses to do with her body, and never ever should.

In the confines of a serious relationship there "should" be a serious discussion, but over all the choice all comes down to what the woman wants to do. And she should have the choice to remove anything she wants from her body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

These anti-choice freaks have no depth that they will not plumb.
    Their tctics are beneath comptempt.

These anti-choice freaks have no depth that they will not plumb.
    Their tctics are beneath comptempt.

The pro-choice are the exact same. This is not a rational political discussion on the merits of one way or the other, it's a very very emotive issue for a great many people and most people heavily involved in the argument on both sides of the aisle cannot keep out the emotions involved.

Myself included. I'm extremely pro-choice. And get irrational in my arguments from time to time.... my favourite being that they are just parasites, I wouldn't keep a tapeworm in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Has anyone ever actually changed their minds on this issue at all? Why do we bother our hole?

Has anyone ever actually changed their minds on this issue at all? Why do we bother our hole?

Me, but I was young and stupid when I held the view that it should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I am in my 40s with 2 kids of my own and I am as most people are with the issue of abortion torn. I am pro life and pro choice. I don't have the same opinions today as I did in my twenties and I suppose that one of the failings in the west is that we allow young people to drive the agenda as opposed to those who have lived and bought their experience.
    I am not saying young people are not entitled to their say.

John Waters made a good point on the issue, he asked would it be ok if a man went to a doctor complaining his partner was making him want to take his own life if the doctor killed his partner to cure his depression.

That is the logic behind this change to the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

May as well shut boards down so.

mcko wrote: »
    John Waters made a good point on the issue, he asked would it be ok if a man went to a doctor complaining his partner was making him want to take his own life if the doctor killed his partner to cure his depression.

That's not a good point, it's a stupid point, just like everything else he writes

• Advertisement

The 'babies masturbating in the womb' thing was breaking bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mcko wrote: »
    I am in my 40s with 2 kids of my own and I am as most people are with the issue of abortion torn. I am pro life and pro choice. I don't have the same opinions today as I did in my twenties and I suppose that one of the failings in the west is that we allow young people to drive the agenda as opposed to those who have lived and bought their experience.
    I am not saying young people are not entitled to their say.

That is the logic behind this change to the law.

That really isn't a good point. A man who is unhappy in a marriage can leave it. There is no parallell between an unhappy marriage and a crisis pregnancy, and anyone who thinks their is needs to really ruminate on what it means to be pregnant when you don't want to be; pain, nausea, swelling, piles, the risk of dozens of conditions which can threaten your ongoing health or your life, and then after all that, the agony, and again risk to life and health, of childbirth.

OP; I don't doubt that the pro-life side love their children. They just give the impression that they don't because of things like putting posters of alleged aborted foetuses* outside schools, playgrounds, and on the streets in general. If they really wanted to protect kids shouldn't they be protecting them from having to see corpses?

*I say alleged because many of the pictures are actually of miscarriages.

Already a thread giving out about pro lifers here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement