Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1200 Gaming Build

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you run Linux it won't be over windows. It's an OS in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im unfamiliar with using linux,i do understand why you would use it to try and eliminate windows OS being the problem but you already know there is something wrong with windows on your pc(Failed updates),try fix that before using a different OS to eliminate hardware faults?
    That would just be my opinion,im sure using linux is a valid option aswell but while you havent got the usb stick could try windows restore option.

Not sure on exactly what you would lose,as i dont know where you save your files etc or how you backup but imo a small bit of pain in that sense would be worth it to solve the problem.
    On friday i put a new motherboard and psu into my pc and decided to format all my drives (1x1tb and 1x2tb HDD's and a 128gb ssd) so ill have to really start from scratch with the OS and programs.(Downloading my whole steam library again is gonna take ages:()
    But to be honest im glad i did,totally fresh install with no issues is so nice. And because im new to PC building aswell i was able to fix all the things i did wrong when i first built my PC regarding installing the OS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I hope you are disabling hibernation and reducing the page file to 2gb's. That's 16gb of ssd space saved right there. :)

There is no need to format anything other than your os drive with new hardware and a fresh windows install. There may be some registry problems but it's usually not an issue with the likes of steam games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

BloodBath wrote: »
    There is no need to format anything other than your os drive with new hardware and a fresh windows install. There may be some registry problems but it's usually not an issue with the likes of steam games.

I did a clean install on the SSD of windows and originally didnt format the HDD's but steam was the only game client that had no problem with that,uplay,origin(neither origin or uplay detected the games that were on the drives),minecraft(because java was deleted reinsatalling the os) all had issues so as much as a pain as it is(UPC wont be happy:P)to download and install all programs again,games again for me it was worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

@EoinHef:
    Linux Live CD (ie. Ubuntu and many others) is being run from RAM, it doesn't touch your hard drive and it's contents. You can even run it with all hard drives disconnected, it's completely safe.
    What happens is - Upon boot, Ubuntu takes few MiB from your RAM and creates a RAMdisk - a virtual HDD space. It is rather small in size, but runs at whooping 6-17GB/s (depends on your RAM speed). Upon reboot any data or configuration you ever did in this virtual environment is lost without a trace and a fresh virtual RAMdisk with Linux OS is created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

BloodBath wrote: »
    I hope you are disabling hibernation and reducing the page file to 2gb's. That's 16gb of ssd space saved right there. :)

Hey Bloodbath you're back! :D
    Thank you so much for your help suggesting parts, the computer works perfectly (besides not shutting down xD). The AS Rock is better than I thought :)

What do you mean by setting the page file to 2GB/s? How do I do that? So far I have nothing on my SSD but my OS and Steam. But my Steam Library is on my HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

2GB. Most computers don't need a large page file when you have 8GB of RAM so you can turn it down to 2GB. Reason being is that space is a premium on an SSD and you can fit an extra game or two on there. If you don't use hibernation, you can disable that too.
    There's instructions on how to do these in the SSD guide in my signature.

Ok thanks but your signature isn't being displayed, do I need to go on your profile?

You can change the size of the page file by:
    Start menu -> Right click on computer -> Properties -> Advanced system settings (upper left) - > Advanced Tab -> Performance box, click on settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory Box, click on change.

A maximum size of 2GB should be plenty.

To disable hibernation, open an administrator command prompt by typing cmd into the start menu, right-clicking on it and selecting run as administrator. Next type:
    [php]powercfg -h off[/php]
    and press enter.

To display signatures:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions
    Third big box down, Thread Display Options. Then tick the first box for show signatures. Save changes at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Monotype wrote: »
    2GB. Most computers don't need a large page file when you have 8GB of RAM so you can turn it down to 2GB. Reason being is that space is a premium on an SSD and you can fit an extra game or two on there. If you don't use hibernation, you can disable that too.
    There's instructions on how to do these in the SSD guide in my signature.

I actually ran into some sort of memory leak because of this in Arma 2 and Adobe Premiere, fixed it by enabling system managed pagefile on secondary HDD. But I had it at 1024MB not 2GB. Still weird.
    Other than that this is a nice tweak for SSD lifespan and space.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Some heavier programs like premiere might rely heavily on RAM and the page file. The bulk of people would be okay with that amount. Some people disable it altogether and get by - while that's not something I'd recommend, they can often escape problems. It's something that you can tweak yourself. If I just had 4GB of RAM, I might be leaving it up at a 4GB page file.

Hey guys sorry I haven't been around but I was getting ready for college and finishing up things with the Leaving Cert so yeah. I got my USB back (finally) I'll do that tomorrow and tell you guys if it worked or not. I also reported my broken monitor to HWVS and I'm supposed to print out this UPS sticker or something and place it on the UPS box my monitor came in, but do I cover the sticker that was originally on the box or what? I mean it says you can't have the old sticker on it. Do I need to put anything else on or in the box so that they know it is me? Like my invoice/receipt thing, I've also seen this form (link here) is that if you don't complain via online or must that be included as well? Also will I be charged for this delivery? Thanks.

Hey guys can someone please reply, I'm really not sure what I have to do in order to send back my monitor to HWVS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You should have an RMA from an e-mail they sent you, print that out and stick it on the box.

i'm surprised UPS/DPD/"whoever delivered it" has not made contact with you. have you rang/e-mailed HWVS to tell them is was faulty?

No according to other people I selected the complain option, there it told me to pick which product you want to return and why. I selected my monitor and my reasoning was "defective item". It then said the contact UPS to get them to pick it up and deliver it and gave me a link to a UPS sticker I'm supposed to print out and stick onto the box. I haven't rang UPS yet as I still don't know what to do.

But what I am wondering is, how will they know that this is the same monitor that the complaint was made about. In my 2nd most recent post I gave a link to a form that I heard I'm supposed to enclose as well but I don't know if I'm supposed to stick that onto the box or place it inside it. I also don't know if I'm to enclose the invoice/receipt that I got when it first arrived. Apparently I also have to pay for the delivery which is total BS, why should I have to pay an extra €20 because the product they sent me was broken?! Am I wrong, will they cover it? And if I do have to pay for it, do I pay the UPS man when he comes to the door or do I have to do another stupid bank transfer to HWVS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Print off the UPS label from hws.
    ring UPS and quote the number on the label .
    ask them to pick it up.
    they will not ask for money.
    Repackage the monitor in the box it came if you can.
    if not then cover it as best you can.
    sit back and wait for your new monitor.

throw the sheet they asked you to fill out inside the box, it has nothing to do with UPS. :/
    Not sure how postage works when its a failure, i'd imagine they'll cover postage. ask UPS when you ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

They will cover postage in this case as your returning faulty goods. If you didn't want the item but it worked ok then you would pay.
    It takes a few days to get posted back to them then they check it and send you a new one.
    Get the ball rolling today by printing the label and phoning ups

Ok thanks guys, first thing tomorrow I'll do all that, thanks. I think it said it's only free delivery if the monitor is unopened and it has been under 28 days.

Ok thanks guys, first thing tomorrow I'll do all that, thanks. I think it said it's only free delivery if the monitor is unopened and it has been under 28 days.

thats only if you don't like it.

This is faulty, its dealt with differently.

out of interest, how is your PC performing?

• Advertisement

It is performing great, I haven't tried anything too demanding on it but I can run Source games with 120+ FPS and I can run Minecraft on full with similar results. I just don't have the money to buy something like Skyrim or Far Cry 3 yet but I'd say it would be fine. I got BF3 for only €5 along with other games in the Humble Bundle (look it up, it is great value and it goes to charity) but it is taking ages to download it because Origin is awful, the download keeps freezing and I have to restart Origin in order to resume it.

It still won't shut down but I never tried running Linux as I've been busy getting ready for college and I'd rather get the monitor out of the way first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

it is taking ages to download it because Origin is awful, the download keeps freezing and I have to restart Origin in order to resume it.

That's weird. My experience with Origin has been flawless.

I will say however that speeds were going at about 60% of my max speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Danger781 wrote: »
    That's weird. My experience with Origin has been flawless.

I will say however that speeds were going at about 60% of my max speed.

Same here with flawless downloads and at full speed too.

Hey guys I've been gone all day shopping for a laptop for college so I wasn't able to contact UPS >_<
    Speaking of which, I just posted a new thread asking about which laptop I should buy, if you guys think you could help then please take a look at it here: Link

Thanks

I'm sure Torqay will sort you out on that front.

Advertisement