Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1200 Gaming Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

BTW is there anything I should change in the build?

-Not from what i can see,looks good.
    Only thing is if the extra cash could get you a motherboard that supports Sli/Crossfire. This is the cheapest one i know off:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/67918/ASRock+Z77+Extreme3%2C+Sockel+1155%2C+ATX.article
    It does push you €10 over budget though.
    Also id do a quick comparison between your prices from amazon with hardwareversand and see if you would be better changing a part of the order from one to the other. If you could save €10 from doing that it would cover the cost of the above motherboard.
    Other than that id save the cash

What should I do about the keyboard predicament?

-I personally would prefer to wait for the keyboard and order with amazon as the seller as the returns policy is very good.
    As regards the switch colour (Red, Blue or Brown,im guessing thats what you mean) im not sure,they all seem to have there own advantages and disadvantages. I would say you would want to try each one out to know which would suit you best. Its more a personnel thing rather than one being the best i think

Also should I wait for a couple of days in case the prices decrease or do you think they could rise even more, or do you think the price I have right now is good enough?

-I thought the same when ordering at the start of the year but most of the parts i have are roughly the same price they were in january so i doubt you'd see any major reductions. Unless one specific item in your build went on special somewhere maybe but that will always be the case. If you wanted cheaper you could wait and keep checking prices and grabbing specials as they appear but the savings are usually negated by delivery costs if ordering seperately but from your posts i dont think you want to do that

I'm still not sure how to pay HWVS, how do I know when to send the money? If I send it before my order is final then I just paid them for nothing didn't I?

-Make your order on there site and they will then send you an e-mail confirming your order and also details of how to pay and bank transfer details.You will have a certain amount of days to then make the bank transfer,the email should tell you how many. I was apprehensive aswell,but it is fine. Print out the e-mail and bring it to your bank,they will know what to do with the info. Will help put your mind at ease aswell going to the bank,you'll get a written record from the bank confirming transaction like a reciept

Will I be better off saying 00000 or IRELAND or EIRE?

-I just put Ireland and its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, as this is the longest build thread ever I haven't read it all, but why not buy one of the HD 7950's of OCUK and get 8 games free? Offer valid until 31/07/13

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

-Not from what i can see,looks good.
    Only thing is if the extra cash could get you a motherboard that supports Sli/Crossfire. This is the cheapest one i know off:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/6...2C+ATX.article
    It does push you €10 over budget though.
    Also id do a quick comparison between your prices from amazon with hardwareversand and see if you would be better changing a part of the order from one to the other. If you could save €10 from doing that it would cover the cost of the above motherboard.

Ya if you look back to I think my 3rd build, I was going for the Extreme 3 but with the inclusion of a monitor and speakers and a few other stuff, I had to go for the Pro 3, apparently I don't have a strong enough PSU for SLI anyway, besides, I'm done fighting my budget over and over and I have yet to re-check all the pricing.

Ya I might do that but Amazon's prices increase at checkout due to some online tax or something, but HWVS don't bother with it. I think someone mentioned it on page 6 or 7, whatever page has my current build. So certain prices mightn't be as good as they seem and if I can't pay HWVS until tomorrow, their prices might change by then (but unlikely) so what was once cheaper on HWVS, could now be dearer.

Ok, I'll wait for the keyboard, if you had to buy one now, what switch would you get? I think the blue backlight looks the nicest but the red looks cool as well, followed then by the white (brown) which is "meh". But the brown switch sounds like a good in between. So it seems stupid to not get it because of it's backlight. But who knows, I could prefer the red or blue. Honestly I don't mind loud keys at all but I think they feel different as well.

Ok I might actually print out the email, that's a great idea, thanks.

Ireland it is then. One final thing, HWVS askes for a house number but my house actually has a nickname unlike all the other houses around me. Not sure why. Sometimes the post office calls my house number 1 but usually it goes by it's nickname. So for house number should I put the nickname or just say number 1.

Do you know if it gets delivered by courier or post, because if it's the post, they will probably know about the nickname whereas a courier might get confused, but he could just as easily get confused by a house called number 1 that doesn't exist, either way he might run into trouble finding the house, but to be fair I live in a fairly small village so maybe not. What would happen if they couldn't find me? would they send my stuff back?

Finally, is it true that your warranty on your Mobo, GPU, CPU and PSU are all void if you overclock? In which case, why should I care if the site offers warranty?
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already, as this is the longest build thread ever I haven't read it all, but why not buy one of the HD 7950's of OCUK and get 8 games free? Offer valid until 31/07/13

Thanks for the reply! But ya, either that offer or one very like it was shown. I'm sure it's good value but I can't afford it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Here's a quick guide on the different kinds of switches.
    http://www.gamersedge.co.uk/2011/09/mechanical-switch-guide/

There's a longer guide on overclock.net that goes into a lot of detail if you're really interested. I wouldn't vote either way as I'm not the least bit fussy about keyboards. I'm not mad about the mechanical ones either as I do prefer quieter ones. That said, if I was given one for cheap, I might go for it.

As for your question earlier about getting a black hard drive. No, it is slower than the blue. Yes, it is supposed to be faster but WD haven't updated that line, so it's slower.

Unless Intel changed the rules with their "K" CPUs, I think it voids the warranty of the CPU. I think AMD allows overclocking without voiding warranty on their "K" CPU. They might have restrictions where you have to use their software or something. Anyhow, it doesn't matter much anyway. I've never heard of someone returning a CPU unless it was damaged in shipping or something. They just very rarely break and unless you're careless with the overclocking, it's likely to be fine too.

It only voids the CPU warranty, not everything else. Again, if you're stupid with your overclocking and are messing around with settings, a motherboard manufacturer might refuse warranty.

If you overclock the graphics card, you might be voiding that warranty as well. It's different for each distributor.

Here's my final build (I hope) I won't bother linking them as the links a few posts above me work fine.

Amazon = A HWVS = H. Amazon price includes weird tax thing.

CPU -Intel Core i5-3570K CPU A€205.09/H€201.87
    Mobo - ASRock Z75 Pro3 A€77.89/H€-
    GPU - Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 A€267.99/H€300.03
    RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit A€53.49/H€-
    Gaming Keyboard - Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK - Blue A€86.66
    PSU - Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular A€59.24/H€-
    Temporary Keyboard - CiT USB/PS2 Combo Keyboard - Black A€5.58/H€-
    SSD - Samsung SSD 840 120GB A€85.84/H€85.04
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB A€66.07/H€57.40
    Case - Cooltek Antiphon Black A€80.27/H€61.13
    Optical Drive - LiteOn iHAS124-04 A€19.95/H€16.36
    Speakers - Wavemaster MX-3+ A€53.59/H€39.99
    Gaming Mouse - Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse A€29.43/€24.02
    Mouse Mat - Sharkoon Fire Glider Gaming Mat A€10.79/H€6.99
    SATA Cable - LogiLink SATA 0.5m A€-/H€1.39
    Net Card - ASUS PCE-N15 A€19.02/H€14.90
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO A€-/H€29.73
    OS - MS Windows 8 64-Bit (SB) A€83.23/H€85.33
    Monitor - LG 22EA53VQ-P A€145.96/H€125.83
    Bluetooth - LogiLink Mini Bluetooth Dongle A€10.56/H€5.39

When the HWVS price was obviously better than the Amazon price, I didn't bother find out the extra tax thing so I just added another pound or so and converted it to euro. But when it was unclear I did do the tax and convert it properly.

Total from stuff I'm getting on Amazon = €550.85 (€634.08 if I get the OS on Amazon, see below)

Total stuff I'm getting on HWVS (including €18.99 shipping) = €689.03 (774.36 if I get OS on HWVS, see below)

Total =€1,323.11. (with OS bought from Amazon)

Are you sure my Optical Drive will fit my case? On Amazon they call it "half height".

Can you check the link I gave for the OS, I'm not sure is that the exact same version I'm getting on HWVS? Because it's slightly cheaper.

• Advertisement

Ok I'm after ordering the following items from HWVS:

CPU
    SSD
    HDD
    CASE
    Optical Drive
    Speakers
    Monitor
    Mouse
    Mouse Pad
    SATA Cable
    Net Card
    CPU Cooler
    Bluetooth

That comes to €689.03

Everything I listed there is the same item from the build up above.

Now about Amazon....

I don't know why but they are charging me extra.

I was about to buy:

Mobo
    GPU
    RAM
    Temporary Keyboard
    PSU
    OS

Not including my gaming keyboard, my order is coming to €621.11 according to Amazon's currency converter.

That's only around €10 cheaper than my estimated total, but that INCLUDED my gaming keyboard!

I've been told that the Amazon converter is a rip off that charges you extra and if I turn it off, my bank will charge me a minor fee to convert my € into £.

I went and re-converted the money myself to see if they got more expensive but in fact each part was like 20 cent cheaper than last time I converted it, so where is Amazon getting another €80 from!?

So what should I do? Would my bank charge me just as much to convert it? How do I even go about doing that, what did you guys do when you bought from Amazon?

If I use their converter, that only leaves me with like €25 to buy a €80 keyboard. How could they be charging me that much extra?!

EDIT: Oh wait, I had the RAM quantity set to 2 for some reason xD
    It's actually coming to €565 but that's still €20 too much according to google.
    But still should I go for Amazon's conversion or let the bank do it?

EDIT2: You only live once, I bought it with the Amazon conversion.
    One final thing though, I was just about to buy the Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Backlit LED - Red but I discovered that they didn't seem to sell them on Amazon, only the Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire PRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Red.

That's unfortunate, but which keyboard should I get?

Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Backlit LED - Blue
    Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Brown
    Cooler Master CM Storm PRO Fire Rapid Mechanical Keyboard - Red (take note it's the PRO not TK)

There's also this:

Cooler Master QWERTY-Tastatur Quickfire TK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry Switches

Is that the red? It sure looks like it but the title is a little misleading. In the description it says it has red backlight, so I assume so. Or is this another very similar keyboard?

EDIT3: Never mind, the delivery is another €20 so it's too expensive, so which should I get? The blue, brown or PRO red?

I'm almost certain the PRO is inferior to the TK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Amazon applies a 21% tax instead of 19% I think when you proceed to checkout if delivering to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Gumbi wrote: »
    Amazon applies a 21% tax instead of 19% I think when you proceed to checkout if delivering to Ireland.

We have a 23% VAT Rate here so surely it's 23%. UK have 20% as far as I remember, but I could be wrong.

Anywho, this is why I use Parcel Motel for nearly all my deliveries. More so for convenience, but it works out cheaper a lot of the time as well.

:D

Danger781 wrote: »
    We have a 23% VAT Rate here so surely it's 23%. UK have 20% as far as I remember, but I could be wrong.

Anywho, this is why I use Parcel Motel for nearly all my deliveries. More so for convenience, but it works out cheaper a lot of the time as well.

:D

This is it. They applied this VAT rate after conversion in checkout. Haven't used parcel motel before.

Ok, I've ordered the stuff of HWVS and have gotten an email with their Account info, so do just go to the bank with that ask for a bank transfer?

Do transfers cost money? How long after the transfer will it take for them to ship my stuff? Does the bank transfer affect my balance straight away?

BTW I used my Visa Debit card to buy off Amazon, when it asked for the card number I was a bit confused. My instinct told me to use the 16 didget number but on my card at the bottom there is a 7 didget number called "card number". I tried googling what number to use and most sites said use the 16 didget, so I did. How do I know if it worked? Will my order cancel itself later if I was wrong? Did I use the wrong number?

What will I do about the keyboard switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Ok, I've ordered the stuff of HWVS and have gotten an email with their Account info, so do just go to the bank with that ask for a bank transfer?

Do transfers cost money? How long after the transfer will it take for them to ship my stuff? Does the bank transfer affect my balance straight away?

BTW I used my Visa Debit card to buy off Amazon, when it asked for the card number I was a bit confused. My instinct told me to use the 16 didget number but on my card at the bottom there is a 7 didget number called "card number". I tried googling what number to use and most sites said use the 16 didget, so I did. How do I know if it worked? Will my order cancel itself later if I was wrong? Did I use the wrong number?

What will I do about the keyboard switch?

It's always the 16 digit number

Ok so I've done the bank transfer but even the banker wasn't sure what to do. HWVS game 2 different accounts for whatever reason, so I just used the first one. Also the banker needed a quote so HWVS will know it's me who sent the money, but we had no idea how I was supposed to identify myself, so we wrote the Order No. and Customer No. Will that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Ok so I've done the bank transfer but even the banker wasn't sure what to do. HWVS game 2 different accounts for whatever reason, so I just used the first one. Also the banker needed a quote so HWVS will know it's me who sent the money, but we had no idea how I was supposed to identify myself, so we wrote the Order No. and Customer No. Will that work?

thats fine

Was I supposed to give my local post office address or house? Because I gave my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Was I supposed to give my local post office address or house? Because I gave my house.

house:)

Ah ok good. BTW how do I check my orders' status? Theres a legend there to tell you what each mean but mine doesn't seem to have a status. It just says Online-Order which isn't in the legend.

Ah ok good. BTW how do I check my orders' status? Theres a legend there to tell you what each mean but mine doesn't seem to have a status. It just says Online-Order which isn't in the legend.

Copy-Paste the code (20 odd digits AFAIK) into UPS tracking here http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html.

After order has shipped it should take 5 working days or less to arrive. I ordered my stuff Sunday night and they are arriving today :)

I can't find any AFAIK number. I'm talking sbout HWVS in case you think I mean Amazon.

I can't find any AFAIK number. I'm talking sbout HWVS in case you think I mean Amazon.

It takes about 24 hours between receipt of payment and shipping. When the order is dispatched you will be informed of it and given a UPS tracking code.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bear in mind an internalional bank transfer isn't instantaneous either so it may take a few days for the money t actually appear in their account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Keimps

Gumbi wrote: »
    Copy-Paste the code (20 odd digits AFAIK) into UPS tracking here http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html.

After order has shipped it should take 5 working days or less to arrive. I ordered my stuff Sunday night and they are arriving today :)

Did you know that you can actually google the tracking number which will give you one link straight away to the correct page on UPS :)

Ok guys, you have been a huge help, all of you! :D

I don't think I'll need much more help unless I get trouble during the build, but there are plenty of tutorials online I can use.

2 final (hopefully) questions:

1 - Should I mount the PSU on top or bottom and should the fan face the mobo or away from it?

2 - Please any and all experiences with mechanical keyboards help. What colour switch should I get? Red, Blue or Brown?

I like the blue backlight most but apparently the keys are very loud and cause fatigue during gameplay because the keys are harder to press than usual.

The red is meant to be the best as it’s easy to press repeatedly but they don’t sell the CM TK red on Amazon, only the older CM Pro which is almost the same except it’s bigger and the Fn key doesn’t has a safety lock mode. As far as I know anyway, anyone have experience with Pro vs TK?

The brown is like an in between of the red and blue which would probably be best for a first timer. But I’m not a big fan of the white backlight. I mean the white is still cool but when they offer blue or red backlight, how can you take bland white? Anyhow I have 1-3 months before either of the keyboards are delivered so I have time to think, but the longer I wait, the longer it will take to come.

I'm not even sure if I'm correct about all that but that's my understanding. So Red (Pro), Blue (TK)or Brown (TK)?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Keimps

99% of all builds have their PSU at the bottom!

OK which way should it's fan face? It will probably be on top of a desk.

Any idea on the keyboards?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

OK which way should it's fan face? It will probably be on top of a desk.

Any idea on the keyboards?

There not much in it really either direction doesn't make much difference temperature wise that I have ever seen, and it really depends what you want to achieve with you airflow setup.

If you want a positive pressure setup (taking more air in than out with your case fans), which is slightly better for keeping dust out of the case, then downwards is better because the PSU isn't pulling extra air out of the case.

On the other hand if the PC is sitting on a thick carpet for example then you don't want the PSU facing downwards, as it may restrict its airflow and hover up all the dust into its innards. you definitely want it on a good hard surface if you are pointing it downwards.

Typing this on a CM quickfire brown right now and it is a quality gaming keyboard, as no doubt the other versions are as well. Mainly because it could be had for £50 (€62) on amazon not so long ago but the price has gone way up since.

I suspect I wouldn't like the blue switches myself, and I probably would have gone for the red had it been the same price, both for looks and I think they are the switches I'd like best, from what I have seen anyway.

What is it about the blue you don't like? Are they harder to push down or what? I think looks wise the blue is the best. I can't imagine the brown's backlight looking that impressive, especially in breathing mode, whereas the blue and red lolk cool. What do the brown feel like?

What is it about the blue you don't like? Are they harder to push down or what? I think looks wise the blue is the best. I can't imagine the brown's backlight looking that impressive, especially in breathing mode, whereas the blue and red lolk cool. What do the brown feel like?

The brown and blue have very slightest bit of extra pressure as you press it halfway down (its not really describable tbh), but the brown doesn't make a 'clicking' sound at that halfway point that the blues do. By all accounts apart from that noise, the browns and reds are pretty much identical. I can only speak for the brown but its orders of magnitude less resistant to type on that a regular keyboard thats for sure. All I can say is have a listen to a comparison video if you can't get samples, the brown and red are noticably quieter compared to the blue (despite the fact he is is really beating them).

I am a keyboard masher anyway so I don't ever notice the halfway point. (Which is partially why the red was more appealing as this feedback is of no use to me :D).

Even the missus who though spending €60 on a keyboard was madness had to conceded it was pretty damn good. :p

I definitely would have preferred the red backlight, but the white looks ok too to me.

Ok appreciate the help.

Ya he really was mashing the blue wasn't he? I couldn't really fairly judge them on that.

I might end up getting the blue for multiple reasons:

1 - A few people have said it's the best for beginners

2 - It's my favourite backlight

3 - I like clicky switches.

BTW is TK actually superior to the PRO or is it just preference?

Do you think they would fall back down in price to around what you paid for it by next week? If so I'll wait, if not I might as well just get it now.

The point is is wasn't hitting the blues any harder they just are that bit louder :D

If you like blue LEDs and you like clicky switches then there is no decision left really now is there :pac:

Good luck with the build anyway, be sure and post pics when it is done

EDIT: Couldn't say on the price, but TBH it seems more and more like a misprice that Amazon just honored, because it has gone all the way up to £75 again so I doubt it will come down to £50 again any time soon

• Advertisement

Well I still don't know if I will enjoy the blue, what I meant was I like the SOUND of clicky switches or typewriters but the feeling could be another story, but I imagine it will be fine.

Do you have any experience with the PRO vs the TK?

I'll try but I don't have a camera xD

I doubt it looks impressive anyway, I sacrificed aesthetics for performance and value. :P

Advertisement