Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1200 Gaming Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

If the monitor is flickering purple when not even connected to anything it sounds like trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

How you had any problems with the power in your house before? This is really starting to sound like surges and possibly brownouts now. Have you got a surge protection power strip?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

No the electricity in my house has always been fine. I don't know what a surge protection power strip is but the whole pc is plugged into one of those long bars with the 5 or 6 sockets. There was apparently thunder but not lightning earlier in the day. But that was like 6 hours before this happened.

My pc suddenly shutting off has been linked to my cooler not being plugged in right, I've checked my fan everyday day since and its fine and the not shutting down thing is most likey a software issue so I don't think surges are the problem. I would of heard some noise as it happened but I didn't, it was completely quiet when it happened.

Is there any cure?

Update: I posted my problem on Yahoo Answers and one guy replied with this:

"It sounds like your monitor has seen it's last days. :( Unless you have a very large magnetic source right next to the monitor. Like a running fan, or a stereo speaker. most computer speakers would not cause this, but a home stereo's speaker can. If this is the case, move the monitor away from the source of the magnetic field. Couple of feet away would be ideal, but even 18 inches would be better than nothing. Give the monitor a day or two to see if the wavy haze goes away. (most modern monitors will degause (remove the damage caused on their own over time, as long as the magnetic source that caused it is moved out of range."

It's next to my PC and obviously there are fans in it, also I assume the Wavemaster MX-3+ are PC speakers but they can connect to PCs or TVs. The big speaker is a good bit away but the two small speakers are on either side of the monitor. I've moved the monitor away from the speakers for now and I'll check on it in 2 days time.
    Do you think this might be the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I haven't read the whole thread, but if its a CRT monitor it could be effected by Hi-Fi speakers (though I think they are usually shielded). It won't happen with standard desktop speakers, as they will be magneticly shielded. I've seen the effect when I put a portable stereo on top of a TV once. It didn't take long for the screen to distort, and to return to normal. I assume you are using an LCD monitor as you mention a line that was yellow and now is blue. In my experience this only happens to LCD's. LCD monitors will not be affected by magnetic fields.

It's an LG 22EA53VQ-P LED IPS monitor, I had been using it for about 5 days in this setup and it has been fine, I had it in another room for about 9 or 10 days before that. I haven't had it that long anyway, 2 weeks, 18 days max.

• Advertisement

It's an LG 22EA53VQ-P LED IPS monitor, I had been using it for about 5 days in this setup and it has been fine, I had it in another room for about 9 or 10 days before that. I haven't had it that long anyway, 2 weeks, 18 days max.

That's an LCD monitor (or LED, which is very similar). I think its safe to assume it's defective. You should RMA it if it's still under warranty.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been updating, I STILL haven't gotten the USB stick as my friend needs it a little longer :/
    I checked to see if my monitor would "degause" but I still won't work (I didn't think it would), so I'm going to have to send that back to HWVS. It's a pity that I didn't get it from Amazon because I'd assume the process would be easier. Has anyone ever returned an item to HWVS? Was it straight forward? :/

So ya, on the plus side my Mechanical Keyboard is arriving early, I'll be getting it 6th August :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

would you not just buy a USB?

they are dirt cheap these days.

I already own one, why would I waste money on something I already have? Besides I'm broke after buying a €1300-€1400 gaming PC.

I already own one, why would I waste money on something I already have? Besides I'm broke after buying a €1300-€1400 gaming PC.

You own one.. yet you're waiting one one...

And you can't afford to splash out less than a tenner on a usb? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Which reminds me. 32GB Cruzer Blade's (standard Sandisk sticks) are going for $25 on dealextreme, free delivery (but takes weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Gumbi wrote: »
    Which reminds me. 32GB Cruzer Blade's (standard Sandisk sticks) are going for $25 on dealextreme, free delivery (but takes weeks).

With the speed of copying 32GB onto one of those, it probably takes weeks too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Monotype wrote: »
    With the speed of copying 32GB onto one of those, it probably takes weeks too! :pac:

I just checked on MemoryC too, that price is nothing too special either :) I picked an 8gig stick up in Argos a while back for 5 euro, can't complain really.

Hey guys have ye forgotten or what? That USB Stick is mine, just my friend needed to borrow it. Why would I waste money on a second one when all I have to do is wait a few days and I'll get mine back. And no I don't have €10 handy, I just forked out €1400 and I don't have a job and I'll already have to pay shipping to return my monitor and on top of that, why would I buy something I already own?!

And RossieMan, I know you're only trying to help but if you don't know the situation I'm in, then you can hardly help me. I don't expect you to read the whole topic but you should of at least checked back a few pages to see what we were talking about, because now everyone is at my to buy something I don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Chill out! crank up the PlayStation and play some Metal Gear Solid. You'll be fine.

Hey guys have ye forgotten or what? That USB Stick is mine, just my friend needed to borrow it. Why would I waste money on a second one when all I have to do is wait a few days and I'll get mine back. And no I don't have €10 handy, I just forked out €1400 and I don't have a job and I'll already have to pay shipping to return my monitor and on top of that, why would I buy something I already own?!

And RossieMan, I know you're only trying to help but if you don't know the situation I'm in, then you can hardly help me. I don't expect you to read the whole topic but you should of at least checked back a few pages to see what we were talking about, because now everyone is at my to buy something I don't need.

Christ we obviously bothered you during the wrong week of the month :o

Here I was just suggesting it would be quicker and you might finally finish it.

You'd get one for a fiver, just 1 less pint at the weekend.

don't make a big deal out of it, having 2 memory sticks might not be the end of the world. :pac:

Also, i didn't attack you, i suggested getting one as this topic has been dragging on far too long for the little problems that are so easy to fix.

I'm sure you could use a CD/DVD if you want either.

Why is it when ever I go against anything you guys say, you think I'm all angry? Same when I thought Bloodbath didn't read my post and I didn't understand the idea behind his form. You guys thought I was being mean to Bloodbath when all I was, was confused. :(

Same here, I just said I don't understand why you think it is a good idea for me to buy a second memory stick and you guys are all like "woah calm down, sorry" and alluding to me being on my period. I mean, when did I indicate I was angry? Everyone on this forum seems to group together and cut you down if you ever have a difference in opinion :/

Look guys, I'm sorry if I offended anyone or came off as angry, I'm not. I just don't know why you guys think it is a good idea to buy a memory stick when if I wait a couple of days, I'll have mine back.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a job and I'm broke so I can't afford it. I don't have a car, so I can't drive to a shop to buy one and if I order it online, by time it gets here I'll have my old one back anyway. That is all I'm saying, why do you have to get offended?

Again I'm sorry if I offended anyone, you guys have helped me so much so far. It's not like you are just sitting there waiting for my reply. I'm sure you are just living your life and when I happen to post, you reply. It's hard to convey emotion in text, so if you guys ever think I'm shouting or something, I'm not. I've been calm during this whole topic and am so appreciative to everyone. So please just be a little more patient with me, I didn't foresee my friend taking this long with it, but he is almost finished, I'll have it really soon I promise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

the USB stick is only required to check the theory. In fact, you don't even need one to check it, you can also burn a CD or DVD image to do that, much simpler and faster to do. Just a reminder - other OS is used to check if shutdown problem is part of software problem -like drivers, hardware or bios problem. Just to help pinpoint.

Take your time with your choice of installation. It's entirely up to you if you want to fix the shutdown or not. It could be an annoying setting or an underlying problem that could bring other problems later.

Thanks raymix, ya I'm aware of why we are doing it. It's not a big deal really, I only have to wait a few days, maybe even just till tomorrow for the USB. I don't even have any RW DVDs so I can't use that. Even if it still won't shutdown with the other OS, that still doesn't rule out the possibility that it could be an BIOS setting that we can't seem to find. I really don't think it's a hardware problem.

On the plus side, I got my keyboard today and it is awesome! :D

• Advertisement

There is no BIOS option that would prevent shutdown.

without having to search through the whole thread, what is happening when you are trying to shut down? blue screening?

No no nothing that bad, when I shutdown my computer, it goes "shutting down...." or whatever and the OS closes. My monitor goes black as if the computer was off like normal but it actually just keeps running. It seems to shutdown fine, it just won't finish the process and power off. I have to hold down the power button while it is in this state in order to fully shut it off. The reason why I say it could be a BIOS thing is because there are some settings regarding S3 and S1 shutdown, that apparently some computers can't handle, or something like that. I also had problems finishing the Windows Update and we think that, that may be what is hanging up the system at shutdown. But even when I turned off the Auto Update function, it still won't shutdown. So we aren't sure what the problem is. Some people here suggested that I run another OS (I think Linux) on a USB drive to determine if it is a Windows problem or not. So that is what I am in the process of doing, just my friend still has my USB stick :/

I don't think this is damaging the system in anyway however. Windows seems to close safely so I don't think I'm immediately killing any processes, which could cause corruption. I never get an "Windows didn't close properly last time" message either. My HDD indicator flashes just before the monitor goes off as well and I can hear a little noise, which I think is the HDD going idle or something because the light never flashes again after that, while it is in that state. So if it isn't damaging the system, there really isn't any rush. That is why I don't mind waiting on my friend.

hmm, i see.

Have you tried shutting down in safe mode? OR running a selective startup in MSConfig and then shutting down.

I'd imagine its a windows update, it shouldn't really be hardware causing it, well none that i can think of.

I'd try safe mode(i imagine its been suggested) and see what happens.

Take a look here. Seems for that guy it was a faulty PSU cable. I wonder if this has anything to do with the monitor packing in?

EDIT: more stuff here probably caused by a faulty PSU.

very interesting reading that, my lesson learned for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Again sorry if this was mentioned so disregard if not useful but have you tried restoring windows to a previous restore point?

Each time windows updates it creates a restore point. With failed windows updates ive found the best solution to be to restore to the point just before the first failed update and try and download it again. Also some of the updates take awhile so even though you think the machine should be powered off its working through the update. How long have you left it in the state where its running but no signal on the screen?

Failed windows updates have caused multiple problems for me before, id say sort that out before trying more drastic stuff.
    Shiuld be easy enough to do with windows restore

Ya Baked Noodle we already took a look at that, but he said he had to disconnect the PSU to shut his off, whereas I only need to hold the power button. He also said his got damaged in a storm, mine obviously hasn't.

I tried safe mode already, no luck but I could try restoring Windows or reinstalling it altogether, but I want to avoid that if I can. For now I'll try using a different OS.

I think the longest I left it on in that state was around 15-20 minutes, maybe a bit less. Like you said, I wanted to see if it would turn off itself in time but it never did, not in 20 minutes anyway, maybe if I left it an hour or more.

Given the symptoms, such as not shutting the hardware off when you power off in windows; I suggest you source another PSU to test the PC. At least you could rule out the PSU if indeed it is not at fault. Good luck anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

20 mins sounds like it should have been enough in fairness, especially since you have an ssd.
    Did you try to restore windows to the point before the windows update? It is a pain and you will lose most things you've done since the recovery date but failed windows updates do cause problems so I would definitely want to sort that and see before trying something like an new OS.

Although either idea should allow you to rule out the OS, fixing windows update should allow you to rule that out and would be easier to do than installing new OS

• Advertisement

Baked Noodle this is my first build, I don't have access to another PSU. Besides, I'm not going out of my way to replace the PSU if this is the only problem. As it doesn't seem to damage the system. All it is, is an inconvenience. I obviously want my new PC to work perfectly but I would settle for having to press the button everytime then paying out for another PSU which is otherwise the same. I'm already going to have to return my LG monitor and speaking of which, does anybody have any experience with returning items to HWVS?

What sort of things will I lose if I recover?

I'm not actually installing another OS, here is the plan:
    raymix wrote: »
    To be honest I am out of ideas for random fixes.
    At this point you need to find something to blame before carrying any further.

Have you got USB thumb stick? You could install Ubuntu Live-CD on your USB stick and launch it. It lets you boot linux Operating system without any installation. What you do here is simple task - once loaded, you simply shut it down. You will find the button on top-right corner, simple task.

If it shuts down properly - the problem is with your Windows 8 configuration
    If it doesn't shut down properly - it's most likely your BIOS acting.

At this point you could try hundreds of solutions, but they will be crapshoots since we can't figure out what actually causes it.

I actually have a question about this plan however. If I run Linux, isn't it only going to be running over the Win 8? I mean the Win 8 is still running in the background isn't it? Won't it still cause the same error at shutdown if this is the case? Or do I have to boot from the USB stick in the BIOS?

Advertisement