Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Top Camper.

Options
  • 02-07-2013 7:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm about to start converting a former MPV into a camper and although I haven't a huge budget I want a decent finished article so can anyone tell me if there's any companies in Ireland or the UK that manufactures custom high top roofs that can be installed on a van?
    I am aware of pop up roofs but they are out of my budget range.
    Any advice or comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bkavanagh

my adice , dont do it. started myself last year, just restoring a vw camper........AHHHHHHHHHHH,,, buget out the window!!!!! heart broken costing me loads only half way there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

bkavanagh wrote: »
    my adice , dont do it. started myself last year, just restoring a vw camper........AHHHHHHHHHHH,,, buget out the window!!!!! heart broken costing me loads only half way there

I thought very early on before I really looked into things that 2k would do but now I know that will have to be doubled at least.I'm not doing anything until I can source a roof which I haven't done so far.
    I'm willing to go 4k all in so time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

Are you looking for a fixed high top roof or a pop up type roof? There is a possibility that over half of your 4k budget will go on the pop up roof. Here's one example for a Transporter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TRANSPORTER-T5-ELEVATING-ROOF-POPTOP-CAMPER-VAN-CONVERSION-/121133912951

Here is another company in the UK who also do roofs as part of conversions

http://www.wentworthmc.co.uk/prices.html

What type of MPV do you have? I think that the high top roof is not a necessity depending on how you intend to use it. If it is something for weekends and short trips, it might not be worth the hassle and expense of converting the roof.

The Mazda Bongo is a good example. There is a man in Galway who regularly advertises on Donedeal selling Bongo's. He usually has a mixture between tin tops and pop up roofs. It would be worth looking it up to get some ideas.

Are you looking for a fixed high top roof or a pop up type roof? There is a possibility that over half of your 4k budget will go on the pop up roof. Here's one example for a Transporter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TRANSPORTER-T5-ELEVATING-ROOF-POPTOP-CAMPER-VAN-CONVERSION-/121133912951

Here is another company in the UK who also do roofs as part of conversions

http://www.wentworthmc.co.uk/prices.html

What type of MPV do you have? I think that the high top roof is not a necessity depending on how you intend to use it. If it is something for weekends and short trips, it might not be worth the hassle and expense of converting the roof.

The Mazda Bongo is a good example. There is a man in Galway who regularly advertises on Donedeal selling Bongo's. He usually has a mixture between tin tops and pop up roofs. It would be worth looking it up to get some ideas.

The van is a 90 Nissan Largo MK1 and about the same size as the Bongo, was originally a 7 or 8 seater with a panoramic roof but the middle section of that is gone and replaced with a different section so if I was to replace the original part it would probably cost nearly as much an elevating roof.
    I was hoping to put in a elevating roof and from what I seen online a generic roof kit can be got for a ot less than the Reimo or SCA etc but then it has to be shipped and fitted so that could eat into any savings made so I just don't know.
    I was in contact with a guy who did a blog of his conversion and he did an amazing job on a very tight budget and he is now in the process of fabricating his own pop up roof, he reckons he can make it for 700-800 euro so I do believe it is possible to make savings like that if it were possible to source a mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

fr3d12 wrote: »
    The van is a 90 Nissan Largo MK1 and about the same size as the Bongo, was originally a 7 or 8 seater with a panoramic roof but the middle section of that is gone and replaced with a different section so if I was to replace the original part it would probably cost nearly as much an elevating roof.
    I was hoping to put in a elevating roof and from what I seen online a generic roof kit can be got for a ot less than the Reimo or SCA etc but then it has to be shipped and fitted so that could eat into any savings made so I just don't know.
    I was in contact with a guy who did a blog of his conversion and he did an amazing job on a very tight budget and he is now in the process of fabricating his own pop up roof, he reckons he can make it for 700-800 euro so I do believe it is possible to make savings like that if it were possible to source a mould.

You'd get a highroof van 10 years younger for the less than the price of the mould, release agent, fibreglass, epoxy, top coat, tools, let lone the time you'd spend on it.

Because of the way the side of the vanette curve in and the space you need to leave at the back for the tailgate to open it will always look stuck on regardless of how well executed. Just look at few hiace high tops.

Cutting down the grp roof from another van would be the way to go, grp is very easy to cut and join. You'd be mad to spend your money and time on that van though. Get a non import ten years younger and you'll be driving it 10 years longer and won't have to worry about sourcing oddbod bits of japanese glass,mirrors etc. in 20 years time.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    You'd get a highroof van 10 years younger for the less than the price of the mould, release agent, fibreglass, epoxy, top coat, tools, let lone the time you'd spend on it.

Because of the way the side of the vanette curve in and the space you need to leave at the back for the tailgate to open it will always look stuck on regardless of how well executed. Just look at few hiace high tops.

Cutting down the grp roof from another van would be the way to go, grp is very easy to cut and join. You'd be mad to spend your money and time on that van though. Get a non import ten years younger and you'll be driving it 10 years longer and won't have to worry about sourcing oddbod bits of japanese glass,mirrors etc. in 20 years time.

Thanks for your reply.
    You've definitely given me something to think about.
    I agree with you on the sourcing of parts.
    The van though is 95% and in better condition than vans ten years younger, the engine has 130k on it and purrs like a cat when started.
    I understand what you're saying about the roof, I have seen a couple of older Hi-aces with the high top and they do tend to look odd but with the panorama roof removed from this lady there is a recess in the roof that is six foot in length and I reckon an elevating roof could slot in there and tie in with the sunroof over the drivers cab.
    I bought it on the spur of the moment and wasn't after a camper so in the likely event I'll get rid of it that will be that,to be honest I can't get over how expensive camper conversion parts, a tested rock and roll bed capable of legally carrying passengers I can understand but so much of the rest in my opinion is over inflated and the Irish vendors of such items are in some cases twice as expensive as their British counterparts, so much or shopping local!

paddyp wrote: »
    You'd get a highroof van 10 years younger for the less than the price of the mould, release agent,

:confused: Can you post a link for that wonder cream please Paddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Ah, not the mildew defeating agent I was expecting :o. Outwitted by punctuation once again. Thanks anyways.
    I'll be sticking to me used engine oil concoctions and bleach then. Ever notice how oil smells better on the way out? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bkavanagh

mine was a celtic tiger project,, ohh the good ole days when we all had cash. ive a few manuals and info sheets if anyone wants them

• Advertisement
Advertisement