Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to walk around a detached house!?

Options
  • 02-07-2013 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just viewing detached houses in Dublin (and even outside Co. Dublin) and notice a large amount of detached houses in which you could not walk around the house as one side of the house is your neighbours.

Is this a common thing and I have never noticed it before?

Any advantages or disadvantages about having two side rather than one side around the house to walk through?

Would only one side walk through put off the house? Would it be a must for you that a detached house owns both sides of the house?

Look forward to your views.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That's semi-detached I assume, not detached?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

By definition what he described is not a detached house! So you are correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Maybe he means the houses are detached but one wall of the house faces directly into neighbours garden so op has no acccess...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A detached house is one that the whole building is me house
    I think you mean a semi detached house
    Or am I missing something
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Our first house was detached insofar as our gable wall formed part of the boundary wall between ours & our neighbour's gardens, as did theirs with the house further up from them. No part of the houses touched each other. All were bought & sold as detached.

It was never a problem for us, OP.

Just make sure you can fit buggies, bins etc in the walk through. Some of our neighbours found theirs was narrower than ours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

A detached house is one that the whole building is me house
    I think you mean a semi detached house

??????

Profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Roselm wrote: »
    Maybe he means the houses are detached but one wall of the house faces directly into neighbours garden so op has no acccess...?

Sorry for my bad description....

The house is detached, it is not attached to another house. But there is only one side access to the garden.

Example:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-martello-court-portmarnock-co-dublin/211068

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, thats stretching the definition of detached!!

You'd need to turn sideways to get up the gap on the right hand side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I lived in a detached house where there was no access either side as the lot was just wide enough for the house. There was less than a 2 inch gap between ours and the house next door and on the other side there was a large wall sealing off an empty lot. Detached merely means you do not share a common wall with your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Galego wrote: »
    Any advantages or disadvantages about having two side rather than one side around the house to walk through?

Would only one side walk through put off the house? Would it be a must for you that a detached house owns both sides of the house?
    Looking at your example;
    The disadvantage over a semi-detached would be that you'd need to insulate all 4 walls, advantage would be that less sound would travel through the wall than if it was a semi-detached.

Have to agree with NIMAN; calling them detached is taking the piss, as there's barely room to fart between some of the houses. Due to this, any damage that may occur externally won't be accessible externally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

detached means theres no transmission of sound between house thru the wall, more privacy.
    Like buying any house ,look at quality of the building, insulation rating etc
    FOR maintenance ,or building an extension ,its handy to have at least 3ft gap on 1 side.
    in general detached houses maybe abit more expensive than a
    terraced house,in the same area.
    Obviously most people would buy a detached house ,with 7ft gap on each side wall if they could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I know houses described as detached with no actual gap.

However, they are attcahed via a garage rather than the wall of the house

an example (not the best as there is a space to the right of the house but look at the house to the left and you get the idea) this is descirbed as detached

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/155-the-grove-celbridge-co-kildare/1339699

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry for my bad description....

The house is detached, it is not attached to another house. But there is only one side access to the garden.

Example:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-martello-court-portmarnock-co-dublin/211068

Jesus, those are effectively terraced it's so bad! That's greedy building if I ever saw it. Price of a detached is much higher than semi, so they put those few inches in between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Jez, thats stretching the definition of detached!!

You'd need to turn sideways to get up the gap on the right hand side.

FrontofHouse_m.jpg

Holy sh** even getting a decent lawnmower or a wheelie bin down the side would result in scraped knuckles.

We really did create some sh**e buildings in this country particularly over the last 10-15 years.

As someone else alluded to, there isn't enough room to properly position a ladder so that you could even get up at the gutters.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It would be a non-runner if you wanted to externally insulate the wall you share with your neighbour, which is something more and more people are going to do as energy prices rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

jmayo wrote: »
    FrontofHouse_m.jpg

Holy sh** even getting a decent lawnmower or a wheelie bin down the side would result in scraped knuckles.

We really did create some sh**e buildings in this country particularly over the last 10-15 years.

As someone else alluded to, there isn't enough room to properly position a ladder so that you could even get up at the gutters.
    murphaph wrote: »
    It would be a non-runner if you wanted to externally insulate the wall you share with your neighbour, which is something more and more people are going to do as energy prices rise.

God, those houses are squashed together. Shocking! The only other place I've seen such an "efficient use of space" is in Tokyo!

The size of the garden effectively prevents you building an extension anyway, but if you wanted one down the line, bear in mind that it would cause a huge headache for any builder. I doubt you'd get even a cement mixer through that gate, so then the only way is through the house, or else lifted in via a crane. That could add hugely to the cost of any project.

Advertisement