Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don Matrick - The man responseible for the Xbox One - Resigns from Microsoft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow, leaves a mess to go to a sinking ship..... great career move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Good Riddance.

Resigned or was he pushed????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Good Riddance.

Resigned or was he pushed????

Bitta both I reckon..

There had to be some pressure from MS after all his recent mishaps and the dismay of gamers everywhere.. But there is also more glory to be had resurrecting a sinking company than doing mediocre at a high profile company :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The man was a walking PR disaster in recent months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He has to take the blame for the failure of the Xbox One's initial policies. The communication from him and the rest of his staff was so baffling and confusing that it left them with no choice than to reverse them all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tbh, someone had to go over this, may as well be the man at the top. I'd say he's taken the first thing that came along that might look like an upward step - but Zynga? Out of the frying pan and into the fire tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

NTMK wrote: »
    not yet they'll probably be given a month and see where the pre-orders and media stand and then i'd expect Mattrick and less likely Hryb to be "resigned" due to the way they handled PR and mattricks running of Xbox

called it:p but i did expect more time given for him to sort out the mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so is he an ex XBox controller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wow, leaves a mess to go to a sinking ship..... great career move.

I am 100% sure he was "asked" to leave. I am shocked it took so long.

I never happy to see people lose jobs, but when you are so **** at your job, you deserved it. I wound not cry too much about him too. He still makes more money in Zynga now, then all of us put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zynga shelling out $50 million for Don Mattrick

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Either way he's on a winner I just wish major Nelson would take a hike.
    After his interview with that angry joe fella where he grabbed the mic and said ms can't just flick a switch and a week after changing his twitter info to flicking switches since blablablah

That really got on my goat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's still months away from release, and there will be an obligatory patch before we get to play. We don't know how easy it was to do whatever change they had to do. It was obviously within their power (even leaving aside the fact they're doing it) but something doesn't change by the mere statement of words, an action is done which changes something. People seem to assume there was a "let there be no DRM" spoken, and it was so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Abandoned a sinking ship , makes sense .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Somehow, I think MS will be in business longer than Zynga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Somehow, I think MS will be in business longer than Zynga.

Signing on bonus of $5 million that's why he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »

Yup. Sounds about right. I love when people are so **** at their job and get even more money for it.

I need to start cooking scones with razor blades inside, then wait for awesome job offers... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yup. Sounds about right. I love when people are so **** at their job and get even more money for it.

Failing upwards, it's very common in workplaces I find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

gizmo wrote: »

I just can't for the life of me figure out how anyone at Zynga justifies this. I don't really expect them to completely fulfill the $50m but how in the name of f**k can this guy be worth this much? I think we can all objectively agree that he was an absolute disaster with the One and may well have done $50m of damage to Microsoft but Microsoft is a gigantic company who can take hits like that, Zynga isn't. Zynga made a loss of over $400m last year and here they are handing out another $50m to this guy.

Even ignoring that, I just can't see how he alone could make the company that much money back, how could this be profitable? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Don Mattrick is not **** at his job. Far from it. He was, however, **** at a very visible part of his job at MS for a short period of time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

COYVB wrote: »
    Don Mattrick is not **** at his job. Far from it. He was, however, **** at a very visible part of his job at MS for a short period of time

He's a suit....not a PR guy, he sucks at public events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

He's a suit....not a PR guy, he sucks at public events.

Exactly. He's also a very capable businessman or he wouldn't have had the career he has. Whoever put him up as MS's answer to Jack Tretton made a grave misjudgment, but it did seem that Mattrick got off on the attention initially at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

C14N wrote: »
    I just can't for the life of me figure out how anyone at Zynga justifies this. I don't really expect them to completely fulfill the $50m but how in the name of f**k can this guy be worth this much? I think we can all objectively agree that he was an absolute disaster with the One and may well have done $50m of damage to Microsoft but Microsoft is a gigantic company who can take hits like that, Zynga isn't. Zynga made a loss of over $400m last year and here they are handing out another $50m to this guy.

Even ignoring that, I just can't see how he alone could make the company that much money back, how could this be profitable? :confused:
    Because he's not getting it all in cash, he's getting it via various stock options, many of which require him to remain employed at the company for a decent period of time.

As for the whole him being **** thing, as COYVB said, he most certainly wasn't nor was he an idiot as some have alluded to. While it's true he must bear a large proportion of the blame for the rather disastrous unveiling of the XBox One, he also presided over the IEB division at MS during a time which the 360 install base grew from around 10m to over 70m and Live membership increased around eight fold. Those figures essentially resulted in the division being profitable for the first time in, I can only imagine, a very long time.

Advertisement