Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS v Economics and Finance

• 02-07-2013 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm sure to catch quite a bit of slack here but I'm willing to eat it for a clear mind.

I have just been offered, as a mature student, a place on the BESS program. I was also offered a place on the DT399 Economics and Finance program at DIT. I know that DIT and TCD are thought to be worlds apart but are they really? I know that with TCD the reputation will always be there and it will look great on a CV; but it is a four year degree and the class size is huge. However, DIT has something to prove as it's in its first few years of this degree course and the acceptance is even lower, 25 students accepted, compared to that of UCD, 45 students accepted.

I'm also a bit concerned about the teacher to student ratio at TCD. From what I understand, the first two years at TCD will be over a hundred or so students in a lecture hall whereas at DIT it will be 1:25.

HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 japes

I'm in a similar situation. I'm caught between PPES and BESS.

I choose TCD as a mature student, because i've been led to believe that the reputation will yield greater opportunities without having to undertake an expensive masters degree.

Just out of interest, how are your maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

I'm pretty descent in maths. I did horrible in high school back in the States but I picked it up really easily when I took the access course at DIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

BESS is a far more established course from a University with a far better reputation both at home & abroad.

RE the class sizes, a university education is fairly different from an IT model of education which accounts for the difference in class sizes and teaching style. Universities place greater emphasis on self-directed learning with lectures there to give you an direction to focus your study and then you must read and study a lot yourself, whereas ITs more closely emphasise class-based learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gero123

I've just finished leaving cert and sorting out my cao. Considering single honours Economics in UCD, BESS and Commerce in UCD. Am concerned about the maths side of economics and am curious if a pass in HL lc maths would be a good enough standard for this course? Also am concerned about the large size of classes in BESS and amount of accountancy involved in Commerce. Was just wondering if anybody could share their experience with any of these courses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

gero123 wrote: »
    I've just finished leaving cert and sorting out my cao. Considering single honours Economics in UCD, BESS and Commerce in UCD. Am concerned about the maths side of economics and am curious if a pass in HL lc maths would be a good enough standard for this course? Also am concerned about the large size of classes in BESS and amount of accountancy involved in Commerce. Was just wondering if anybody could share their experience with any of these courses?

I'm just finished first year BESS, I was grand at maths in school (did my LC 4 years ago) and really struggled with maths and stats this year. It might be easier coming straight from school though!

The class sizes in first year BESS are massive alright but you have a weekly tutorial for each subject which is like 10/20 people so that's great for asking questions, etc.

The choice in BESS is great, when I started I wanted to do economics and just settled on BESS because I wasn't sure what to pair economics with for TSM. Going into 2nd year now I'm doing business and sociology, it's great that there are so many options if you discover that you're crap at/hate a certain subject!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 thestorm12

What did you choose in the end?

Advertisement