Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates bill query

Options
  • 02-07-2013 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping others will have experience of the below and can pass on their experiences.

A client of mine has been in a building for over two years - all of 2011, 2012 and 2013 to date. They never received a rates bill from the council until recently.

Does anyone know if my client is liable for the 2011 and 2012 rates or only 2013? The reason I ask is that the client is of the understanding that because they were never served a rates bill they don't need to pay it. It's a floor of a new building that never had a business rated on the floor. Other floors have been rated and issued rates bills.

The first time they received a rates bill for this building was a week ago listing 2013 rates and the arrears.

To slighly complicate it more the company has received a rates bill for a much smaller amount, but for a different location that it's not occupied for a number of years.

Do they have any justification not to pay 2011 and 2012 rates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Rates only become payable after the space has been assigned a ratable valuation by the local authority. This is the key operative date.
    I could not comment on any undemanded rates that may be due. A solicitor or commercial auctioneer/valuer should be able to give a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not sure if it helps but as far as i'm aware the rates don't need to be paid before the end of the year. In other words your client can put off paying the rates until christmas eve and there's nothing the council can do about it, they usually ask you to pay one bit in January and again in July but you can just ignore them and pay it at the end of december without getting in any trouble whatsoever. It'll give him a few months to get it together.

Advertisement