Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carberry's Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 02-07-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

So one of the best pubs in Dunshaughlin has closed. Anyone know what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

The owner went bust oflahertys in navan gone also

an sibin and the county club unaffected as they are in the sons name

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

jesus i would of thought o'flahertys would have done a good trade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

PaddyCar wrote: »
    jesus i would of thought o'flahertys would have done a good trade

I had a few mates up to navan a few weeks back and thought I would bring them in there before Ryan's on a sat night... the place used to be very busy before but we walked in there and there was 4 people in the whole place at 9pm on a sat night... needless to say we didn't stay.

Thats sad that these places are now gone... I'm sure they had a place or two down the country in the same group too? In Cork I think.

I feel sorry for the staff. More jobs gone to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

The Mucky Duck in Celbridge which was owned by the same people has closed also.

Access wrote: »
    I had a few mates up to navan a few weeks back and thought I would bring them in there before Ryan's on a sat night... the place used to be very busy before but we walked in there and there was 4 people in the whole place at 9pm on a sat night... needless to say we didn't stay.

Thats sad that these places are now gone... I'm sure they had a place or two down the country in the same group too? In Cork I think.

I feel sorry for the staff. More jobs gone to the wall.

Probably all in the nice beer garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Vego wrote: »
    Probably all in the nice beer garden

Nope... not a sinner there either.

Mind you i had not been there for a year or so, but it was very empty for a Sat night!

I herd it was busy enough .....also herd carberrys gets a decent young crowd in as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Food was going well in O'Flahertys . I miss it for my occasssional carvery dinner, but as other posters said the drink side of the business was not going very well. I moved to Navan about 10 years ago and at that time O'Flahertys was the pub to go to. It's amazing the way times have changed....I presume a receiver will move in and reopen the business to claw back the debts?

How can the food do well ....daily lunch special was 4.50 u can't make it for that let alone pay a wage .....in the end its down again to mismanagement and a how low can you go attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Was so surprised to hear about Carberry's, it was a great little pub. Brilliant beer garden. I don't go out in Dunshaughlin much any more but when I do it's there. Not sure where we'll go now...maybe the Arch? Although someone says Peter's has picked up a bit. Haven't gone there in years, any time I did it was always full of kids.

• Advertisement

How can the food do well ....daily lunch special was 4.50 u can't make it for that let alone pay a wage .....in the end its down again to mismanagement and a how low can you go attitude

This was the special at €5.95. Not everybody ate the special......

Moanin wrote: »
    This was the special at €5.95. Not everybody ate the special......

missing the point a bit,,,,but ehh its closed now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Sad news, If i was heading out in Dunshaughlin it would be An Sibin for a few pints and a bit of grub.

Isn't an sibin still open ?

Isn't an sibin still open ?

Yes it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

and the county club?
    they usually do very well for food
    how is the sibin stil open....no atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

glut22 wrote: »
    and the county club?

Yeah the County Club is still open too.

I haven't been to the Sibin at night in....oh god years. Even when I lived in Dunshaughlin I never went there after the age of 18/19 (I'm 27 now). It's a pity because it's a nice pub but I never liked the crowd in it. I've no idea what it's like these days at night. The food is pretty decent, but I don't like going there for Sunday lunch either cos it's full of kids running riot, with their parents sitting around drinking and not even bothering to tell them to sit down and be quiet. I have a few friends on FB from Dunshaughlin who seem to go there a lot though, any time any of them has any sort of party/function, it's always upstairs there.

glut22 wrote: »
    and the county club?

I think Pubs in general have taken a hit in regards to atmosphere with the sign of the times, or it's just i don't get out much :pac:. An Sibin was a grand pub years ago for bands and atmosphere but now they mainly concentrate their efforts on food which is good. I would go there a few times a mouth - mid week for a stack on the stone.

I think pubs that don't do food would be struggling these days.?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

So are they re-opening after a while?
    I'm not sure how staff will be affected cos they jig staff around all their pubs
    its far from the days of Bernard Dunne and all the property developments the Peters were involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Any chance of Lawless pub getting a renovation? It's such a pity that it hasn't been renovated in about 40 years (I think they changed the front sign about 20 years ago).

The family needs to sit down and plan for a radical renovation because everybody is thinking the place has declined but, out of respect for a decent family, few are saying it.

• Advertisement

Herd carberrys is back open

O'Flahertys is back open

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Sale Agreed sign up now on Carberry's.

Any word on the owners or if something interesting will be done with the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Closed fully at the moment, being renovated. The bar will be moved over to the left now side now AFAIK, so a different layout. New owners from Ratoath I believe.
    Will miss the old Carberrys, favourite pub when I'm home and was a great place to work when I was in college.

Advertisement