Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing Credit Card Limit

Options
  • 02-07-2013 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Can I request an increase in my student credit card limit over the phone or does it have to be done through the branch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Vuzuggu,

You can request a credit card limit increase over the phone with a Credit Card representative. Please call 1890 251 251. 

Please note you will need to wait 6 months between each credit card limit increase.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I'm looking to get an increase in the limit again ideally quite  a large increase. If I request it and it gets rejected can I request another smaller amount or do I have to wait 6 months again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd advise you not to. Even Especially if you're struggling and it seems the easy option. Its a very bad idea, chances are you will be struggling a long time to clear that balance and your bank will be laughing all the way. I'm not high horsing btw I'm speaking from experience. If you can avoid at all, don't do it.

Thanks for the advice but it is not relevant in my case. I need a larger limit to cover a upcoming trip where I will be booking flights, hotels, car hire and all the authorisations that come with them. The balance on my card at the moment is only a couple of euro and I haven't paid a cent in interest since I got the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Vuzuggu,

Thanks for getting in touch.

A credit limit increase can only be requested every six months so if the amount requested was to be rejected, it would be necessary to wait six months before re-applying.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response.

Say my limit is 1000 and I request 2000 if they reject the 2000 could they offer me a lesser amount instead of just outright rejection?

Also do they take into account savings held at a different bank? I've got quite a lot saved with Rabo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Vuzuggu,

You can request that a note is added to your application, stating if the increase requested is declined that you would accept a lower amount. You can also request that your savings with another bank are taken into account. Statements from the other bank may be requested to support your application.

Thanks
    Tara 

Advertisement