Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB removal

Options
  • 02-07-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what your views are on this subject. I myself always stop/eject device in the system tray of my PC even though the Quick removal tab is clicked in the settings of the USB drive.

But on other devices like my TV I can't find any option on ejecting USB drive so I turn off my TV to remove stick. I do this because I would hate to corrupt the data on my external HDD.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I was just wondering what your views are on this subject. I myself always stop/eject device in the system tray of my PC even though the Quick removal tab is clicked in the settings of the USB drive.

But on other devices like my TV I can't find any option on ejecting USB drive so I turn off my TV to remove stick. I do this because I would hate to corrupt the data on my external HDD.

Switch off the tv via the power button on remote then completely turn off TV and remove the hard drive. A TV going into standby mode should stop all interaction with the hard drive. Probably changing from the HDD source back to HDMI or TV should do it. Interesting to note that NTFS formatted drives won't corrupt if yanked out, although if you are writing data to the drive at the time of removal that data will likely be lost/corrupted.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 24 diwit

I'd say that you only need to extract/eject the USB drives when you have written to (or deleted from) it, because may be data that has not completed copying. But if you have only read from the drive, you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Just yank them out. Never had a problem with one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

yoyo wrote: »
    if you are writing data to the drive at the time of removal that data will likely be lost/corrupted.
    Nick

Yeah I'd say your right there. I did have one stick that got corrupt and I think it was down to pulling out while writing data.

When I try and use it a error msg comes up about write protection. I'v tried reformatting it using step by step guide I found on tomshardeware.com but it didn't work.
    diwit wrote: »
    I'd say that you only need to extract/eject the USB drives when you have written to (or deleted from) it, because may be data that has not completed copyin But if you have only read from the drive, you don't need to.

So this would mean, it be grand yanking them out from media players.
    jonny666 wrote: »
    Just yank them out. Never had a problem with one!!

I sometimes use this approach with old flash drives but when it comes to my external HDD all I'm short of doing is unplugging the TVsmile.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It should only be an issue when writing data to it.

In particular it should only really be an issue if the data is cached before being written to it. With PCs, what can happen is that the data is temporarily written to a cache on the local hard drive, and it's then later copied to the USB drive in the background. Obviously if you pull out the USB drive when this is happening, you are almost guaranteed to get corruption.

If it's in a device that only reads, it should be fine to pull out at any time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement