Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap but compliant gun safe.

Options
  • 02-07-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've an old single barrel shotgun that I inherited 10 years ago. I don't use it, but I don't want to lose it either.

The licence is up for renewal and as I've moved house I must go into my new local garda station. I've never had a gun safe so I'm looking for information on a cheap but compliant one. I really don't care if it's a good one, just so long as it's cheap and acceptable.

Any suggestions where to get in the Cork area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

To be nothing but honest , securing a firearm in your home isnt something you want to cut corners with or try and find a cheap way out of. You cant put a price on safety. If you arrive home from somewhere and discover your house has been broken into, do you really want to be in a situation where the intruder could have gotten hold of your shotgun by breaking into your cheapo safe with a crowbar? Who knows, he may even be inside with it waiting for you ! The best thing you can do is spend money on a good solid safe that will make it extremely difficult and as lengthy as possible for an intruder to break into. You dont have to just use the safe for your firearm, its a great place to put those documents that are too important to lose, you can keep your money , laptop or any valuables in it. Just something to think about.

Most basic gun safes can be picked up from a gun shop for about €150, Heres a link to a site that deliver. They have a massive range of safes
    http://www.allsafes.ie/store/gun_cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Gautama wrote: »
    Hi,

I've an old single barrel shotgun that I inherited 10 years ago. I don't use it, but I don't want to lose it either.

The licence is up for renewal and as I've moved house I must go into my new local garda station. I've never had a gun safe so I'm looking for information on a cheap but compliant one. I really don't care if it's a good one, just so long as it's cheap and acceptable.

Any suggestions where to get in the Cork area?

Thanks.

Also where you put the safe in the house is very important as most safes can be broken into with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

rsole1 wrote: »
    Also where you put the safe in the house is very important as most safes can be broken into with time.

+100

A safe will only slow the thieves down. I keep my guns in there cause I have to. As well hidden as it is, It's the last place I'd put my other valuables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Why bother just get yourself a trigger lock. But if it were me just get rid of the gun you obviously don't care enough about it to be safe which is the first mistake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Why bother just get yourself a trigger lock. .
    Should already have one.

If the Super does not insist on a safe then the gun must be disassembled and have a trigger lock.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Cass wrote: »
    Should already have one.

If the Super does not insist on a safe then the gun must be disassembled and have a trigger lock.

Which would be the best, a cheap safe in a crap situation fully assembled, or no safe and gun in three parts distributed around the house? Forgot the trigger lock, how long would that take to get off?

Both. Trigger lock, gun partially assembled, and locked in a safe, securely bolted to a solid wall. Fore end stored elsewhere. Not to comply, but to be sure it's as safe as you can make it.

I'm pointing out the fact that the OP said they never had a gun safe, then another poster said they should get a trigger lock. Fact is the OP should have had the gun disassembled, and a trigger lock on if they did not have a safe.

IOW the minimum legal requirement.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Sorry to hijack a thread but all the safes I have seen are designed to be bolted to a wall. Fine in a concrete or block house but what about a timber frame home or one that has a studded and slabbed interior ?

Any of the safes I have seen done even have holes to secure it to a floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You could lay it down flat on the floor or drill your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

juice1304 wrote: »
    You could lay it down flat on the floor or drill your own.

I was warned against drilling my own holes as it would be considered modifying the safe..

I could secure it against a stud but !!!!

I considered laying it flat but it would take up alot of room and make it difficult to hide or to access.

• Advertisement

knipex wrote: »
    I was warned against drilling my own holes as it would be considered modifying the safe.
    Not exactly a biggy.

I drilled holes in my safes to connect one to the other. Making them more unlikely to be taken. Also bolted them to the walls and floor.

It's be easier to cut the wall out. :D

As for securing to a timber framed/studded wall. The guidelines only say solid structure.
    Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure
    So the point that the wall, while timber, is structurally solid could be argued. If necessary. once it's bolted to a wall i'd say most Gardaí would be happy wit it. Otherwise the law would say anyone living in a timber framed house or house with no blocked internal walls need not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Cass wrote: »

I drilled holes in my safes to connect one to the other. Making them more unlikely to be taken.

That is a great idea gonna do that myself over the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

knipex wrote: »
    I was warned against drilling my own holes as it would be considered modifying the safe..

I could secure it against a stud but !!!!

I considered laying it flat but it would take up alot of room and make it difficult to hide or to access.

The chimney breast in a timber framed house is usually made from concrete blocks. It could be fixed to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

...do you really want to be in a situation where the intruder could have gotten hold of your shotgun...

Interesting enough, my uncle was broken into a number of years ago. The first question asked by the Garda was "did they get the gun". As it happens, they didn't; none of the stolen property was ever retrieved. Can't help but wonder what the outcome would have been had he answered "yes, they got the gun". I bet they'd have made more of an effort to find the intruders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Is the argument not a bit academic. ? All the 100 -300 euro 'gun safes' are in fact Chinese made gun lockers. i'm sure safes are available with 2" thick steel doors but you are into four figures.
    I have a bog standard 'Buffalo River' safe which gives some peace of mind but I'd rate my Eircom Phonewatch as the better investment.

Advertisement