Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an alternative to Dyndns with Sky BB.

• 02-07-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved to Sky DSL broadband. Sky use Dynamic IP's so I've had to sign up for Dyndns to access my DVR remotely.

Dyndns are charging $25 a year for this service but there are other free alternatives like NoIp. The problem is that the Sky modem/router only supports Dyndns.

To get around this I know I could leave a PC on and check the IP address but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

I always have a second access point on in the house as I have a wireless blackspot but I was wondering if there is any technical reason why I could not get the second access point to check for and broadcast IP changes or update a service like Noip (if the access point supported NoIp or similar)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Have you considered a low power low cost solution such as a Raspberry Pi running a no-ip client?

There is more information here on setting it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

That looks like a good alternative if I can't get another modem/router to do the job. Amazon have them for about £32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Dazzy wrote: »
    I always have a second access point on in the house as I have a wireless blackspot but I was wondering if there is any technical reason why I could not get the second access point to check for and broadcast IP changes or update a service like Noip (if the access point supported NoIp or similar)?

The second access point, if it is capable, is perfectly fine for doing the updating. Any device on your internal network can do the update.

Also, I always use FreeDNS.afraid.org

I have a TP-Link Nano router which supports a shed load of Dynamic IP sites, however you can only configure it to use Dynamic DNS in "Router Mode". I messed around with it last night but it only seems to want to connect to my ISP in Router mode and does not work nested under another DSL modem/router.

An old Zyxel DSL Modem/Router I have only supports Dyndns.

Found some Android Apps this morning that update NoIp so may try the phone route instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Dazzy wrote: »
    Found some Android Apps this morning that update NoIp so may try the phone route instead.

Not sure how that would work if you are away from your home wifi while you carry your phone. I suppose if you had a spare android phone then that would work.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Not sure how that would work if you are away from your home wifi while you carry your phone. I suppose if you had a spare android phone then that would work.

Spare Android phone....

If it was my own I would be getting a mix of my own home IP, my mobile IP, and any other network I connect to.

Advertisement