Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions - Work

Options
  • 02-07-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I've been looking into this for a while as I feel I am at a crossroads in my life, I want to travel but, like the rest of us, money is an issue. I was considering getting a working visa to live and work in the USA for a while. It wouldn't be permanent as in 3 years I would like to come back to Ireland so I could go to college.

I have looked into applying for the work visa, but I really don't understand what I'm supposed to do. Do I try and find work first and get that "sponsorship" from the employer or do I apply and look for work over there? If someone could explain to me, in plain english, what I'm supposed to do. As I'm sick of being taken from link to link that's just filled with statistics and forms that I don't even know if I should be filling out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Honestly, there isn't really a visa for what you want to do.
    For a work visa, you need to find an employer to sponsor you; this costs the employer $5000+, so they are unlikely to do it unless you are highly qualified- often equivalent to having a Masters, though you don't strictly speaking need that qualification.

The only exception is if you recently graduated or are still in college, then you can get a 1 year J1 internship visa.

Advertisement