Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice regarding backpack/tankbag

• 02-07-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just looking for some advice regarding a backpack and tankbag.

I'm fairly new to the scene (only been on a bike since end of march) but I'm loving every minute of it. Have already driven in most conditions and plan to continue doing so while the ice stays away here in Switzerland so am basically looking for all weather gear.

After doing some research I am leaning towards the Kriega R35 backpack. This is obviously a bit overkill for day to day use but perfect for doing some lightish grocery shopping and for holding my sports gear etc. Apparently it can be "flattened" for when all the space isn't needed. I am also hoping to drive from Switzerland to Ireland next summer and am thinking that this would be perfect for that as well as I drive a Ninja 300 which doesn't have much in the way of luggage options. Anyone have any experience with this bag and/or has any other recommendations?

I'm also looking for a decent sized tank bag (with the future trip in mind but also for general use). I was looking at the Oxford Sprint tank bag, anyone have any experience with it? Again, any advice or suggestions

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The Kriega bag is a great option for normal commuting and light touring but I'd advise against wearing bags as a long-term option where possible as it leads to fatigue. A tankbag and tailpack option would be my suggestion for long distances and a backpack for short distances. Tankbags are a pest if you have to keep putting them on and and taking them off to carry them around.

I used have Kriega R30 and found it brilliant, but tended to fill it for weekends away and then regretted it after 50 miles. Oxford do a range of throw-over panniers which will fit your bike too - are you taking a passenger on this transeuropean extravaganza?

When you get a chance, buy a bike which will take a medium sized topbox and your life will never be the same.

'c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I realise the pain of backpacks but I've been using them for years as a student, have gone hiking with them and have been using non backpack sports bags as a backpack which really don't distribute the weight well (not to mention a nightmare at any kind of speed) thus my back is very used to having something on it, that said I do take in what you're saying regarding fatigue, especially over a 3-4k km round trip. Maybe I'll just fill it up with light stuff or perhaps not use it at all as you suggest. Will be doing a dry run to Italy or Austria for a weekend before the big trip so will get to test out whatever I get.

No passenger planned for the big trip, don't think the Ninja would be very comfortable for a passenger for a long haul so will have a look at those throw-over panniers.

I do plan to one day get a proper touring bike but first need to finish my studies so for the moment my new Ninja is all I get to play with! ;)

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

can only mirror the words of 'ceptor there - long distance backpack use, would be something to avoid if at all possible

kriega do fantastic stuff - including soft panniers that can be fitted to pretty much any bike with room for a pillion. Think ive the us20+2x us10s, for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I have that kriega you mention, and its very good for what it is.
    But like the other lads, I avoid a back pack 99% of the time now, I just use the back box and throw a bag in there.
    I wouldnt have the greatest neck/back in the world and I just find I suffer even using them for short trips.
    but the Kriega is good, it drags a little on the shoulders for me and could be better in that regard, but its something thats very hard to get perfect.
    But I'd say its a as good if not better than anything else out there, and worth the cost if you are gonna use it.

Advertisement