Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part of Donegal is a must see?

Options
  • 02-07-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am in the process of planing a trip to Donegal dont no much about the county. Have often heard it is a very scenic am wondering:rolleyes: what part are a must see, we would be into hill walking and scenic drives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Knockalla is a must!

its on the fanad drive and is amazing to drive along. if you want though there is also a path up the back of it you can climb (done it once) and again amazing view over one of the best beaches in the world and out in the distance you can see where the Swilly meets the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Horn head (Sounds a bit rude doesn't it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Bundoran:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Down over Glengesh and into the town of Ardara for a warm welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Slieve League is stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Glenveagh Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rad!

"Paris" night club, Bundoran.

You won't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

If your around that part of the county a visit to Grianan fort is a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You should definitely read this thread (Posted by someone called homer simpson ;)) and follow the links in same

Enjoy the visit btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Coast road from killybegs to Kilcar, followed by
    would recomend a quick spin into Glencolmcille (great view going into the town), back to carrick then towards meenaneary and
    caustic 1 wrote: »
    Down over Glengesh and into the town of Ardara for a warm welcome.

and then onto the beach at narin.

preferably in that order (for glengesh)

muffler wrote: »
    You should definitely read this thread (Posted by someone called homer simpson ;)) and follow the links in same

Enjoy the visit btw :)

who?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Inishowen is great - quite a few nice spots up there

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Thank yea all for the suggestions :).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

guttenberg wrote: »
    If your around that part of the county a visit to Grianan fort is a must!

Bingo.

The view back over Inch at sunset is IMO one of the most amazing viewpoints in Ireland. I'm lucky enough to live about a mile from the fort now and we take a regular trip up there for the view if the weather is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you're staying around Ballybofey have a walk though Drumboe Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Suprised no one hasnt mentioned the top of errigal on a clear day, some view sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i was just back home for a holiday for the first time in 18 months, and went to do all the things that i never (or rarely) did when i lived there: glenveagh, errigal, cnoc fola, slieve league, glengesh & ardara, crohy head. I would highly recommend slieve league to anyone, when you consider tourists travel across the country from dublin on day trips to pay a tenner to see the cliffs of moher, and slieve league was on my doorstep for years and is free. Packed out with european tourists as well, stunning views on a beautiful day.

Didnt have time to go to grianian of aileach or knockalla (been up that before a few times before though - beautiful), or anywhere in inishowen. Next time i go home, reckon i'll need to take 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

retalivity wrote: »
    I would highly recommend slieve league to anyone, when you consider tourists travel across the country from dublin on day trips to pay a tenner to see the cliffs of moher, and slieve league was on my doorstep for years and is free. Packed out with european tourists as well, stunning views on a beautiful day.
    I couldn't agree more. It appears as if Moher has had the marketing in place for so long that people don't realise that it can't even begin to compare with Sliabh League.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

retalivity wrote: »
    I would highly recommend slieve league to anyone, when you consider tourists travel across the country from dublin on day trips to pay a tenner to see the cliffs of moher, and slieve league was on my doorstep for years and is free. Packed out with european tourists as well, stunning views on a beautiful day.
    smashey wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. It appears as if Moher has had the marketing in place for so long that people don't realise that it can't even begin to compare with Sliabh League.

c63r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Dunree/Dunree Fort outside Buncrana is beaut.
    34291_410289236442_3902401_n.jpg

Inch...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Inch...

Is that looking up towards ramelton from inch? Stupid phone screen can't really make it out

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

danniemcq wrote: »
    Is that looking up towards ramelton from inch? Stupid phone screen can't really make it out
    I think that pic was taken from the space shuttle

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bingo.

The view back over Inch at sunset is IMO one of the most amazing viewpoints in Ireland. I'm lucky enough to live about a mile from the fort now and we take a regular trip up there for the view if the weather is clear.

Unfortunately wasn't so great looking recently, after a drunken mob was finished with it.:mad:

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately wasn't so great looking recently, after a drunken mob was finished with it.:mad:

Pretty sure I passed that mob on my way home that evening. Coming out the Groarty road from Derry and passed a group of about 20 heading in the direction of the fort, around Bunamayne crossroads.

Not sure if the pic will show better here, on my phone it seemed to be sideways...

262381.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Swordfish trombone

The Poisoned Glen - looking below to Dunlewey, with Errigal sweeping down from behind is the most beautiful view in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

The best part of Donegal? For me the road home - once I see the Big Isle coming up ahead I know I'm there:)

Saying that the Atlantic Drive is something special although I never tire of the shoreline down at Bloody Foreland(wild and bleak as it it is).

Advertisement