Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

175 resident visa for Oz

Options
  • 02-07-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a permenant resident 175 visa that expires in 2015, I haven't lived in Australia since 2010. my understanding is i need to live there for 2 years out of 5 for it to remain valid otherwise I will need a resident return visa.

can anyone confirm if this is correct?

much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would recommend that you contact the nearest Australian Immigration department - much better than taking the word of a stranger on the internet. There is none in the embassy in Dublin, the closest is London:

Migration Branch
    Australian High Commission
    Australia House
    The Strand
    London WC2B 4LA

www.uk.embassy.gov.au
    email: london.cc@dfat.gov.au
    tel: 0044 207 420 3690 Mon - Fri, 9am - 4pm

Or you can check the general Australian immigration website here:
    www.immi.gov.au

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Little Ted wrote: »
    I would recommend that you contact the nearest Australian Immigration department - much better than taking the word of a stranger on the internet. There is none in the embassy in Dublin, the closest is London:

Migration Branch
    Australian High Commission
    Australia House
    The Strand
    London WC2B 4LA

www.uk.embassy.gov.au
    email: london.cc@dfat.gov.au
    tel: 0044 207 420 3690 Mon - Fri, 9am - 4pm

Or you can check the general Australian immigration website here:
    www.immi.gov.au

sometimes this website provides quick bullsh1t free answers hence the thread. i'm actually living in hong kong, but cheers for the info Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

lufties wrote: »
    sometimes this website provides quick bullsh1t free answers hence the thread. i'm actually living in hong kong, but cheers for the info Ted.

the BS-free answer is not always the correct answer. I wouldn't be leaving an issue like this to hearsay from a forum. Wouldn't be much fun to arrive in Australia and be refused entry at the border. Better to get the info direct from the horses mouth. They are pretty quick at replying to emails queries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Little Ted wrote: »
    the BS-free answer is not always the correct answer. I wouldn't be leaving an issue like this to hearsay from a forum. Wouldn't be much fun to arrive in Australia and be refused entry at the border. Better to get the info direct from the horses mouth. They are pretty quick at replying to emails queries too.

Yea i hear you, must check it out..but sometimes its hard get a straight answer out of these guys, they seem to be anti whatever is gonna benefit you, and trot out the usual lines. anyway i'll query it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

We have the same visa due to expire 2015 as well. My understanding is you can arrive on the last day before expiry ( as long as you activated it properly by entering Australia - our activation was 2011) but you may have problems getting a RRV if you haven't completed the 2 years. They do grant them for humanitarian reasons though - funerals etc but not if you are going on holidays. You could try Pomsinoz forum, I know some agents post there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

lufties wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a permenant resident 175 visa that expires in 2015, I haven't lived in Australia since 2010. my understanding is i need to live there for 2 years out of 5 for it to remain valid otherwise I will need a resident return visa.

can anyone confirm if this is correct?

much appreciated :)

Your 175 visa or any PR visa only ever lasts for 5 years anyway, once you enter Australia you can live there as long as you want.

After the initial 5 years is up you need a 155 RRV to re-enter Australia if you ever leave. (Remember a visa only required for a non-citizen to enter Australia)

basically to get a valid RRV you have to meet residency requirements 2 years out 5, You need to be back in Australia by 2015 or else your 175 will run out and will have to live there for at least a full 2 years before you qualify for a 5 year 155 RRV. If you need to leave within that 2 years you can get an emergency 3 month RRV in order to let you travel but you need to be back within the 3 months.

There are a few 1 year RRV that you might be able to get having less than 2 years residency requirements but you need to show strong ties like own property, family connections, kids go to school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes mandrake is pretty spot on there, immi is the source of truth, but in laymans terms
    You need to have 2/5 years of the PR to apply for a RRV.
    But saying that, you can arrive on the last day of your PR visa and legally stay as long as you like (the coming back is what you need a visa for)

Advertisement