Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the online fibre availability checkers test your line SNR?

• 02-07-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

I've two questions about VDSL2:

1. Does VDSL2 availability depend only on how far you are from the cab? Or could factors like the quality of the wiring / SNR on the line make it unavailable?

2. Do the fibre availability checkers on eircom / vodafone / magnet sites simply check if your phone number is on a VDSL2 enabled cab? Or does it check if the SNR etc on your line is OK to take it?

I ask because I'm in Cork city, about 200m from a new VDSL2 cab, yet the online checkers say 70MBit isn't available. I've tried a neighbours number and it says it is available. I'm on a 24MBit package now, but it only connects to Magnet at 8MB (they say this is all my line will take). Even at 8Mbit, I get very frequent dropouts.

Trying to figure out why this is, considering I'm so close to a VDSL2 cab?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

radiospan wrote: »
    I've two questions about VDSL2:

1. Does VDSL2 availability depend only on how far you are from the cab? Or could factors like the quality of the wiring / SNR on the line make it unavailable?

2. Do the fibre availability checkers on eircom / vodafone / magnet sites simply check if your phone number is on a VDSL2 enabled cab? Or does it check if the SNR etc on your line is OK to take it?

I ask because I'm in Cork city, about 200m from a new VDSL2 cab, yet the online checkers say 70MBit isn't available. I've tried a neighbours number and it says it is available. I'm on a 24MBit package now, but it only connects to Magnet at 8MB (they say this is all my line will take). Even at 8Mbit, I get very frequent dropouts.

Trying to figure out why this is, considering I'm so close to a VDSL2 cab?

1. It does depend on how far you are from the cab. You aren't guaranteed 70Mb but internal wiring should not be a factor as Eircom send a tech to do an install whcih would bypass the internals. The physical copper from the cab to your premises could play a role.

2. Nope, they don't check your SNR, just if you are on a VDSL enable Cab. . You won't know the speed you will get until it's installed. Even your current line stats can't be used as an indicator.

Advertisement