Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ferrets & rats

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fathead82 wrote: »
    Now they have moved into the garage & have eaten over half a 15kg bag of dog food(it was on the bottom of a pallet so they could have been at it for a few months).
    Deprive them of all food sources. you might not be able to stop them eating grain or fruit in fields, but stop them getting at anything around the yard by putting it high off the ground, in unclimbable locations.

If the dogs or cats aren't finishing their food when fed, take the excess away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Is anyone else finding this year that there is a plauge of rats about the place?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Resurgence of building and I think the fine weather are affording them more places to find harbourage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding this year that there is a plauge of rats about the place?

Noticing a shortage of ferrets. I can't get one anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

Noticing a shortage of ferrets. I can't get one anywhere.

i tried sending you a link ...on donedeal theres 43 ads for ferrets ..

https://www.donedeal.ie/smallfuries-for-sale/ferrets-kits-for-sale-/19341703

hope this is of help to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Im waiting for a pest controller to come out to me in the mean time put down a few bait boxes and poison doubt will work though
    I’m ****ting myself that rats will get into house i live in an area full of full and there is loads of cover for them in my garden, I see them all the time running in and out of bushes
    Thinking of just getting a few wild cats or trying find someone with a few dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

catrat12 wrote: »
    Im waiting for a pest controller to come out to me in the mean time put down a few bait boxes and poison doubt will work though
    I’m ****ting myself that rats will get into house i live in an area full of full and there is loads of cover for them in my garden, I see them all the time running in and out of bushes
    Thinking of just getting a few wild cats or trying find someone with a few dogs

A pest controller wont do anything you can't do yourself. It can run expensive too when pest controllers are concerned. Get rid of the food source, and clean up the garden as best you can. If your feeding birds, stop doing it. Get traps, bait box's down, and you'll soon get rid of the problem. I keep my dog feed in a blue barrel, and I only get the odd problem rat, which I deal with using traps.

Eddie B wrote: »
    A pest controller wont do anything you can't do yourself. It can run expensive too when pest controllers are concerned. Get rid of the food source, and clean up the garden as best you can. If your feeding birds, stop doing it. Get traps, bait box's down, and you'll soon get rid of the problem. I keep my dog feed in a blue barrel, and I only get the odd problem rat, which I deal with using traps.

So I don’t feed birds or have any pets
    The problem is I live in countryside with loads of trees and bushes everywhere that can’t really be contained

I went up and got poison there and put them into bait boxes

I also put some into some pipe and put at various locations but I could not screw or tie down in pipe so don’t know if work
    I also threw a few poison cubes down a few holes that might be rats and hidden behind rocks etc which I did not really like doing but don’t think I have much choice plus not going to let little one out to play at all
    Just so nervous and not cut out for this stuff

So I don’t feed birds or have any pets
    The problem is I live in countryside with loads of trees and bushes everywhere that can’t really be contained

I went up and got poison there and put them into bait boxes

I also put some into some pipe and put at various locations but I could not screw or tie down in pipe so don’t know if work
    I also threw a few poison cubes down a few holes that might be rats and hidden behind rocks etc which I did not really like doing but don’t think I have much choice plus not going to let little one out to play at all
    Just so nervous and not cut out for this stuff

Yes it can be worrying alright. There must be a food source near by though. What's next door to your garden? Another garden? farm buildings? Tillage/grain fields? You know anyone in the area that might help you out with trapping them maybe? I find traps work very well to get numbers down, and then bait box's to stop reinfestation after that.

Ah there is loads of food sources in fields beside me and the fields have just been cut so I reckon they could of been disturbed and in my place a few fruit bushes that’s about it

Yes it can be worrying alright. There must be a food source near by though. What's next door to your garden? Another garden? farm buildings? Tillage/grain fields? You know anyone in the area that might help you out with trapping them maybe? I find traps work very well to get numbers down, and then bait box's to stop reinfestation after that.

• Advertisement

Ah there is loads of food sources in fields beside me and the fields have just been cut so I reckon they could of been disturbed and in my place a few fruit bushes that’s about it

Definitely some nibbles out of poison when checked just there how much would they need to be eating for affect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Definitely some nibbles out of poison when checked just there how much would they need to be eating for affect

Flocoumafen is one feed fatal 1g/kg (Storm) so very small amount, but they will eat a lot more.

Right so all the loose poison cubes have been taken

I have traps set

bait boxes around side of house and bait put down some holes hopefully thats enough now

Right so all the loose poison cubes have been taken

I have traps set

bait boxes around side of house and bait put down some holes hopefully thats enough now

Should be instructions with the poison you've used. Follow directions on amounts to lay, and how often to re bait. It's important to use poisons properly, and probably best to keep your baitbox's in operation, all year round.

Should be instructions with the poison you've used. Follow directions on amounts to lay, and how often to re bait. It's important to use poisons properly, and probably best to keep your baitbox's in operation, all year round.

Thanx will do

Update on rats they have taken serious amount of bait still seeing a few around and they have outsmarted a trap and and a live cage so far
    There is one constantly in and out of bait box since Tuesday surely his time is up or it’s having no affect on him

Update on rats they have taken serious amount of bait still seeing a few around and they have outsmarted a trap and and a live cage so far
    There is one constantly in and out of bait box since Tuesday surely his time is up or it’s having no affect on him

They will be storing most of it. Important now to have no other food sources available, and to use guidelines for rebaiting or you'll be just wasting the poison bait.

They will be storing most of it. Important now to have no other food sources available, and to use guidelines for rebaiting or you'll be just wasting the poison bait.

I have most of the bait tied down too so loads nibbles I can’t really get rid of fruit bushes or berries so traps or live trap is prob only way maybe
    Surely they have eaten plenty of poison

Plus I think there are grey and brown rats there was one huge brown ****er the other day

I have most of the bait tied down too so loads nibbles I can’t really get rid of fruit bushes or berries so traps or live trap is prob only way maybe
    Surely they have eaten plenty of poison

Plus I think there are grey and brown rats there was one huge brown ****er the other day

Yes, they are all the same species, brown rats. Don't be too worried about fruit etc. The fact that they are eating the bait, shows they are hungry enough. Hopefully over the next few weeks, you will be seeing less of them.

Yes, they are all the same species, brown rats. Don't be too worried about fruit etc. The fact that they are eating the bait, shows they are hungry enough. Hopefully over the next few weeks, you will be seeing less of them.

Thanx Eddie For all your replies I will let you know how the world war 3 plays out just want rid and not too come into my house that’s the big fear
    Think I’d get a hit man in then

• Advertisement

Thanx Eddie For all your replies I will let you know how the world war 3 plays out just want rid and not too come into my house that’s the big fear
    Think I’d get a hit man in then

Yes nothing worse. Just be mindful leaving doors open etc. Keep that bait down, and traps set. Even after they're gone, check bait box's once a month, and you wont ever have much trouble with rats again.

Is it Storm you're putting down?

rsole1 wrote: »
    Is it Storm you're putting down?

Sorry for late reply didn’t see your message not storm but blocks I got from a lad who works in rentokil

Anyway today’s update is I caught 1 in a live trap and 2 in traps they were small rats , bait eating has slowed down and sightings not as much

There is still a few going in and out of bait box at back seen 2 together at one stage so don’t really know numbers and I saw another smaller one who defo must of been sick as was real slow and could barely jump and didn’t budge when opened window

Sorry for late reply didn’t see your message not storm but blocks I got from a lad who works in rentokil

Anyway today’s update is I caught 1 in a live trap and 2 in traps they were small rats , bait eating has slowed down and sightings not as much

There is still a few going in and out of bait box at back seen 2 together at one stage so don’t really know numbers and I saw another smaller one who defo must of been sick as was real slow and could barely jump and didn’t budge when opened window

The only reason I ask is that the active ingredient in Storm is flocoumafen, which is a one feed poison, a lot of other poisons are multiple feed poisons, but at the end of the day dead is dead. Sounds like you have the situation under control.

The only reason I ask is that the active ingredient in Storm is flocoumafen, which is a one feed poison, a lot of other poisons are multiple feed poisons, but at the end of the day dead is dead. Sounds like you have the situation under control.

I would not say under I would say dealing with problem best I can and hopefully get there in the end
    Storm sounds like the business

I would not say under I would say dealing with problem best I can and hopefully get there in the end
    Storm sounds like the business

Sorry for annoying everyone on this thread but I have not seen any activity today and no real movement on bait

I don’t really no what this means

Sorry for annoying everyone on this thread but I have not seen any activity today and no real movement on bait

I don’t really no what this means

Still no sightings since a random dead one since Saturday bait has not been touched anywhere around garden either

Plus rabbits are back now all of a sudden
    Do people think rats are gone or dead now I don’t want to get hopes up as I know they will never totally be gone

Still no sightings since a random dead one since Saturday bait has not been touched anywhere around garden either

Plus rabbits are back now all of a sudden
    Do people think rats are gone or dead now I don’t want to get hopes up as I know they will never totally be gone

They're dead, but keep bait down and monitored as their friend will be along shortly, you can be rest assured on that. You have to keep an eye on the bait and keep it topped up.

They're dead, but keep bait down and monitored as their friend will be along shortly, you can be rest assured on that. You have to keep an eye on the bait and keep it topped up.

Found another one dying tonight and yeah bait stations well topped up and traps set
    Thank you for feedback

• Advertisement

Ok lads sorry about being on here again
    So anyway have not seen alive or dead rat in over a week, more for live one

But anyway I have bait station with trap at front and that has been set off with no luck and not much bait been taken

The bait stations at back of shed are been devoured anyway will I change tactics and try new poison or get load of traps and try that ?

Advertisement