Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ferrets & rats

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

catrat12 wrote: »
    Ok lads sorry about being on here again
    So anyway have not seen alive or dead rat in over a week, more for live one

But anyway I have bait station with trap at front and that has been set off with no luck and not much bait been taken

The bait stations at back of shed are been devoured anyway will I change tactics and try new poison or get load of traps and try that ?

You say you have a bait station with trap at front, you mean a snap trap in front of the bait station?

Keep poison down in the bait boxes and monitor them every few days. You don't need the snap traps down as well now it's under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Yeah have a snap trap in the bait at front of shed
    Will I keep putting the same bait down in boxes
    And could magpies be nibbling again in boxes also the place is alive with them up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yeah have a snap trap in the bait at front of shed
    Will I keep putting the same bait down in boxes
    And could magpies be nibbling again in boxes also the place is alive with them up here

Magpies shouldnt be able to get at bait, if using bait box's. As regards traps being set off. Mice and young rats could set them off without getting caught. (Mice will also eat the poison bait). Not sure which type trap you are using, but if I'm using plastic ones, I screw them to a piece of ply, because they tend to jump when fired because tgey are so light. Wooden ones have a little more weight to them, so don't jump back as much.

Id stick to using the same bait, and as said monitor. Even when no more bait is being taken, keep bait stations down, and check regularly.

**** sake just seen a rat out the back I’m in a rage
    Will I start resetting traps loads of poison still down
    I’m afraid of my life here it’s really getting to me

**** sake just seen a rat out the back I’m in a rage
    Will I start resetting traps loads of poison still down
    I’m afraid of my life here it’s really getting to me

Pity you couldn't get someone local to help. There's usually one or two knowledgeable sorts in every gun club, who know a thing or two about trapping etc. It's much more effective to have someone visit your garden, and give advise, or better still, sort the problem for you, rather than advise from folk on forums, who can only go on a certain amount of information.

At a guess I'd say the rats are getting plenty of food somewhere close to your property, and so mightnt be relying on the poison bait for food. If it were me, id put down tunnel traps, set in strategic locations. Baited and Unbaited trap tunnels can be very effective, if done properly, but I wouldn't even attempt to explain such methods, as your head would be fried lol. You really need someone to give you a hand to sort it out. If that's not possible, just keep doing what your doing, and keep the traps and bait down, all year round.

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote: »
    Pity you couldn't get someone local to help. There's usually one or two knowledgeable sorts in every gun club, who know a thing or two about trapping etc. It's much more effective to have someone visit your garden, and give advise, or better still, sort the problem for you, rather than advise from folk on forums, who can only go on a certain amount of information.

At a guess I'd say the rats are getting plenty of food somewhere close to your property, and so mightnt be relying on the poison bait for food. If it were me, id put down tunnel traps, set in strategic locations. Baited and Unbaited trap tunnels can be very effective, if done properly, but I wouldn't even attempt to explain such methods, as your head would be fried lol. You really need someone to give you a hand to sort it out. If that's not possible, just keep doing what your doing, and keep the traps and bait down, all year round.

The da is helping but can’t get to me all the time
    There is plenty of food in the fields close to me as horses there
    And currently I have bait boxes down
    I put a live trap box down
    And I screwed poison down in pipes around place so they can’t take them out

The da is helping but can’t get to me all the time
    There is plenty of food in the fields close to me as horses there
    And currently I have bait boxes down
    I put a live trap box down
    And I screwed poison down in pipes around place so they can’t take them out

Well sounds like your doing the best with what you've got. Keep at it. You will eventually get on top of them with time.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Well sounds like your doing the best with what you've got. Keep at it. You will eventually get on top of them with time.

7 cofirmed deaths that i have seen hopefully more died from poison and went off to die
    That was the first one I have seen in two weeks dead or alive

https://www.hortweek.com/rats-becoming-immune-poisons-warn-controllers/retail/article/1381728

Try flocoumafen( Storm) but be careful as it is one of the poisons which a small amount will kill dogs.

rsole1 wrote: »
    https://www.hortweek.com/rats-becoming-immune-poisons-warn-controllers/retail/article/1381728

Try flocoumafen( Storm) but be careful as it is one of the poisons which a small amount will kill dogs.

I will give a blast

• Advertisement

I will give a blast

I set the trap and got a big live rat and he ****ing got out
    I am at wits end here, had not had one in ages
    I’m thinking of moving out I can’t go on

I set the trap and got a big live rat and he ****ing got out
    I am at wits end here, had not had one in ages
    I’m thinking of moving out I can’t go on

Put more poison down, secure it so they can't make off with it. Smear some peanut butter on it as well. There isn't a broken sewer pipe anywhere is there?

Not that i am aware of

I think the snap traps are useless there too sensitive

How about using glue boards

Not that i am aware of

I think the snap traps are useless there too sensitive

How about using glue boards

Try the old wood snap traps and secure the bait so they have to tug and pull the bait off.

It is illegal to use glue boards in Ireland, but apart from that you would have to deal with a live rat stuck to the board.

Am I allowed to post a pic of a dead rodent in a trap to ask people if baby rat or mouse

Baby rat am i right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Baby rat am i right

Yep that's a rat.

If you're thinking of supplementing with snap traps definitely make sure you get ones specifically for rats - the wooden mice ones don't cut it with rats.

You can play with a mousetrap, just a little snap. Rat traps are not to be ****ed with.

so that means another load of them around ****

poison has not been touched in a while

just keep going i suppose

nightmares and anxiety

Just looking for a bit more advice please

I have not seen a live rat in weeks or a month

I am catching baby rats every 5 days or so in snap trap and few mice

The storm bait is been devoured in last few days and done a full top up and added extra bait done in pipes

Just wondering am I attracting the rats with the peanut butter in trap or should I just put poison in snap traps as well

Cheers lads

Just looking for a bit more advice please

I have not seen a live rat in weeks or a month

I am catching baby rats every 5 days or so in snap trap and few mice

The storm bait is been devoured in last few days and done a full top up and added extra bait done in pipes

Just wondering am I attracting the rats with the peanut butter in trap or should I just put poison in snap traps as well

Cheers lads

It would only be a waste putting poison on the snap trap as bait. Just continue as you are as it seems to be working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement