Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I covered by House Insurance

Options
  • 02-07-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Would anyone have any opinion on whether either of the following two scenarios would be covered under my house insurance?

1: The timber floor in my dining / family room has warped and turned up at the edges of each board on almost all the boards, one or two at the point where they look like they’re ready to pop up. The floor is installed for nearly three years so it is unlikely to be caused because of expansion and there are no leaks or any obvious cause. Only think I can think of is that for some reason my underfloor heating overheated and warped the floor. Would this be covered?

2: Separate to the above all my windows and doors are leaking. I am in the process of taking the company who installed them to court however it looks increasingly like they are just going to fold the company and leave me stuck with leaking windows. I know my Insurance won’t cover the cost of replacing the windows but would I be covered for what I believe they call consequential damages (i.e. the water damage to the plasterboard, the cost of moving out to get the works done etc…).

Any hep or advice from somebody who can point me in the right direction where I can in some way try and recoup some of my costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

adw223 wrote: »
    1: The timber floor in my dining / family room has warped and turned up at the edges of each board on almost all the boards, one or two at the point where they look like they’re ready to pop up. The floor is installed for nearly three years so it is unlikely to be caused because of expansion and there are no leaks or any obvious cause. Only think I can think of is that for some reason my underfloor heating overheated and warped the floor. Would this be covered?

I would be of the opinion that you do have a leak and possibly in your underfloor heating system. Overheating will not warp a floor. The floor warps as moisture penetrates it and is then removed. You should check out if you do in fact have a leak in your system. Pressure on the system should tell you as if it has dropped then there is pressure leaving the system. All insurance policies cover escape of water damage (ie leaking) but not the cost of repair of the pipes themselves just the damage done by the water (plus an allowance for tracing the leak). There is no cover on any policy for damage done to floors by over heating if such a thing does exist.
    adw223 wrote: »
    2: Separate to the above all my windows and doors are leaking. I am in the process of taking the company who installed them to court however it looks increasingly like they are just going to fold the company and leave me stuck with leaking windows. I know my Insurance won’t cover the cost of replacing the windows but would I be covered for what I believe they call consequential damages (i.e. the water damage to the plasterboard, the cost of moving out to get the works done etc…).

No cover in place for this under the standard household policies. You may have recourse for the consequential damage against the window manufacturers insurers if you can find out who they are. There is no insurance policy that covers bad or faulty workmanship.

Advertisement