Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a smartphone as a dongle type modem

Options
  • 02-07-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭

Basically got a massive o2 mobile internet bill from housemates abusing the 15gb limit 190 last month when its meant to be 20 and don't want it happening again

Can this be done with a huawei y300 ? I have the USB cable etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

You want to use the phone with an unlimited data sim as a modem and share its connection around the house?

You can do that very easily, its built into android in fact. Go to settings...wireless & networks...more...tethering and portable hotspot and set up a wifi hotspot from there. Could be different on that phone but something similar. Edit: Its jelly bean so should be the same.

I'm not sure how strong the signal would be though, probably not enough to cover the whole house.

Most networks have a fair usage policy too, I'd check that out before going any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Also some networks might charge you for tethering as might not be included in the plan. With O2 old plans do allow tethering new plans don't so check with O2 if extra charges for tethering.

I don't think they can tell if you're tethering using an android phone, I'm not 100% on that but it certainly used to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Was planning on doing this on three payg 15gb data.

Also can it be done using wire like on a dongle ?

Thanks again

Yeah you can tether over usb too, its in the same menu as the one I posted above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Legend Griff thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The easiest solution is to let them use their own data packages and tether their own phones individually.

Advertisement