Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Named driver insured in another car

• 02-07-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I would like to know whether there is an insurance company out there that will insure me, have my son as a named driver and have both of us insured in another car for emergency purposes.

So far I can only find companies that will insure me (the policy holder) in another car, but I need my son to also have this facility.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi, I would like to know whether there is an insurance company out there that will insure me, have my son as a named driver and have both of us insured in another car for emergency purposes.

So far I can only find companies that will insure me (the policy holder) in another car, but I need my son to also have this facility.

Thanks
    The insurer of the other car could add your son to their policy. If the other car is uninsured then AFAIK it can't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 myusername007

Hi, thanks for your reply. The other car is insured, but there are a number of people who come to this house whose car may be needed at different times so it's not just one particular car, that's the problem. It's 1 of 6 cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

In the exact same position myself. I am insured on one sisters car but could borrow several others when needed but unfortunately this type of cover does not exist. So now I am named on my sisters and my girlfriends but can't drive my other sisters or friends without them naming me also.

If you do find a way please post back. Would help me too.

I'm looking for a bespoke policy, boards is my last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Simple. You need 2 policies. You cant have a 3rd party driving other cars and under 25 year old extention....its not possible

1) You probably have (or can get) drive other cars extention so this covers you driving the other 5 cars anyway.
    2) Your son needs to have his own policy with driving other cars and be over 25 to have this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If your son wants third party cover to drive other vehicles then he needs his own policy. To the best of my knowledge no insurer will offer third party extension cover that also extends to named drivers on the policy.

The only other alternative is to have your son named as a driver on all other policies for cars he might need to drive. Its probably cheaper to buy a small banger for a couple of hundred quid and get him his own policy on it so he can have the third party extension cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Simple. You need 2 policies. You cant have a 3rd party driving other cars and under 25 year old extention....its not possible

1) You probably have (or can get) drive other cars extention so this covers you driving the other 5 cars anyway.
    2) Your son needs to have his own policy with driving other cars and be over 25 to have this.

My brother in law in 21. He has drive other cars on his policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dah

What age is your son, licence and yrs named driving?
    Also are all 6 cars registered under your name or different members of the extended family?

My son is 27 and has a clean licence (full) for 5 years. The cars are reg'd in different names. I appreciate all of your help, thank you.

(sorry, he has about 10 years named driving)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Then he probably is covered. Most policies (well any policy I ever had) had open driving for anyone over 25 driving with my permission as long as they had a valid full license.

Thank you, but that's not my problem. He is covered to drive my car - but it is another car (up to 6) in the house, that I may need him to help me out with from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Thank you, but that's not my problem. He is covered to drive my car - but it is another car (up to 6) in the house, that I may need him to help me out with from time to time.

That's my point. All the other cars probably have open driving for anyone over 25. I know my policy allows anyone over 25 to drive it as does my wife's policy.. Its third party only but they are insured to drive it..

Check the policies currently on the other cars as see if they have that.. (unless the other cars are not currently insured then your out of luck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Open driving wouldnt be all that common; I wouldnt assume that the majority of policies have it included.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dah

Based on your sons driving experience he'll have no problem getting a competitive quotation as a policy holder. So out of these 6 cars is there one car that not been used much? If so get your son to be registered owner, get him to take out a policy as Policy Holder and he'll have driving of other cars on 3rd party basis.

A lot of companies only allow the policy holder to drive another car not a named driver. Can you drive a northern car-does anyone know? One of the cars is northern.

Having read all your points, I think the buy-a-banger option is the best idea. Now to get a small car for a few hundred euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

djimi wrote: »
    Open driving wouldnt be all that common; I wouldnt assume that the majority of policies have it included.

But open driving is a different thing Djimi, we are talking about him being insured on the "driving other cars" extention of his own policy.

As you say open drive is not very common, when I asked for it on renewal last time it was expensive option;

Edit: Sorry, just saw you were correcting someone elses mention of "open driving" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can you drive a northern car-does anyone know? One of the cars is northern.

Not if your an Irish resident.

Advertisement