Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to move to Canada for a year

Options
  • 02-07-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there, have recently thought about moving to Canada. I havent done a lot of research as of yet but thought I would start here and maybe find out some advice from people who have actually undertaken this move. It will be myself and my partner moving over, he is qualified in accounting and finance and works in finance and costing at the minute, I have one year left to complete in my childcare degree, however I am thinking of going to Canada before I complete this year. Will this make a huge difference?
    I would like to know stuff like:
    Where is the best place to start off?
    How hard is it to find a job?
    I am willing to take on any job at all as im happy to work doing anything even if it is not releated to childcare as is my partner.
    Where do we start to look for jobs? Should we apply before we go or wait?

I will add more questions to the thread but for now this is a start!
    Hope to hear back from some people who have been through this process!

Thanks in advance!
    :)

Comments

Your partner should go first and sus things out, re work and accomodation. Make sure your visas and passports are in order. If ye know of anyone in the area of your choice, make contact with them. Once your partner has found work and a place to live, (which won't take more than a week), you can plan your trip. Don't rush into it. Finish your course first. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

I am in Canada. I moved last month. I worked in finance (investment and retail banking) and do not have financial qualifications but a good eight years experience from Ireland. Even if I had general QFAs here though they would not help from what I can see. I believe accounting exams are internationally recognised but other finance related jobs require certs by Canadian regulatory bodies (makes sense, just knowing about Irish or European laws and products isn't much help). Depends on the area he is working in. Finance is a regulated profession here- meaning you have to have passed certain Canadian standards. Most job descriptions ask for these. If you want to earn any proper money you will need them. I sort of fell into banking at home so I am using this as my reason to fall back out of it! As for working with children over here, you need a certain visa, a special one. Much like Garda vetting at home, you have to be screened, medically too. I would finish your degree as without the piece of paper you have nothing valid to show for your studies up to this point.

Perhaps apply for the IEC 2014 (10,000 will be issued). You have a year to enter from when you get this visa. The professions are easy to get work in. To do waitressing, you need a basic service cert. Office and temping work recruitment agencies are here. However, I am seeing that without a profession and the relevant qualifications, salaries are poor (in some cases less than min wage in Ireland). I would say even try to something in your current/recent chosen professions and then get something different. That is my plan at least. I am in Vancouver. My boyfriend is in construction, and there is so much work for the tradesmen. Craigslist and KIIJI people use for jobs, Monster.CA, JobBank.gov. The JobsExpos in Dublin were good- but there was no Finance, it was all construction and nursing from what I saw. It's good to go though to get a feel for what's out there. You could technically apply for jobs before you go but we were so busy the first month we got here (sorting phone numbers, SIN/PPS numbers, bank accounts, viewing apts, furnishing the apt, setting up internet, cable, electricity etc.). I only started applying for jobs last week as I have savings to last me a few months but I know it will take a while for me so I have to start now. I was offered two well paid jobs at home in the weeks before I moved here whereas my boyfriend was out of work nearly a year. I am shocked by the low salaries in Vancouver- especially in comparison to the very high cost of living. I would prepare for that- and also holidays. 10days a year- and most companies do not let you take these days the first year, you just get paid for them. I came here though to experience a new/different way of life so I am trying to embrace these changes and accept them!

Best of luck with whatever ye decide : ) Canadians are lovely people!

Advertisement