Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving & Return of licence

Options
  • 02-07-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So....I lost my licence 1&1/2 years ago for two years. It was the morning after a night out and I was dropping a friend home.

Its coming to a time now to get it back. So how do I get it back?What is the process of getting my licence back? It seems very unclear as to how.

Secondly, will I ever get insured? I have looked up some online and none seem to ask about convictions?

I have got through all stages of online insurance without being asked once and I don't understand is it on me to tell them?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

yupyaboyya wrote: »
    So....I lost my licence 1&1/2 years ago for two years. It was the morning after a night out and I was dropping a friend home.

Its coming to a time now to get it back. So how do I get it back?What is the process of getting my licence back? It seems very unclear as to how.

Secondly, will I ever get insured? I have looked up some online and none seem to ask about convictions?

I have got through all stages of online insurance without being asked once and I don't understand is it on me to tell them?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.:)

Most will ask about convictions when you're signing up, I thought most did at the application stage - even through a broker - but if that's not you experience I take you at your word. There are companies out there that will give you a reasonable quote but the excess may be huge. Best to try a few good brokers.

Just bear in mind 1 unit of alcohol (there are two units in a pint) takes 1 hour to go through your system. If you have ten pints this is 20 hours before you can drive again. Not very scientific but a good rule of thumb.

As for the process of getting you license back, why not pop down to your local motor taxation office and ask one of the helpful chaps or chapette - I'm afraid I don't know the specific process.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Most will ask about convictions when you're signing up, I thought most did at the application stage - even through a broker - but if that's not you experience I take you at your word. There are companies out there that will give you a reasonable quote but the excess may be huge. Best to try a few good brokers.

Just bear in mind 1 unit of alcohol (there are two units in a pint) takes 1 hour to go through your system. If you have ten pints this is 20 hours before you can drive again. Not very scientific but a good rule of thumb.

As for the process of getting you license back, why not pop down to your local motor taxation office and ask one of the helpful chaps or chapette - I'm afraid I don't know the specific process.

Not strictly true. The body starts processing alcohol from the first sip, not the last drop. There are a lot of variables in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

endacl wrote: »
    Not strictly true. The body starts processing alcohol from the first sip, not the last drop. There are a lot of variables in between.

Hence the words rule of thumb and I make no reference to when the body started processing it. I thought it would be fairly obvious it starts when you start. Apologies for not being clearer with off-topic my pontificating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Thread derailed from first response! WTG!!

However, poster is correct about getting licence back. You contact your local Motor Tax Office.

Advertisement