Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off mortgage.

Options
  • 02-07-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Maybe something similar has been covered already, but any advice would be greatly appreciated:
    We have an ''offset flexible mortgage'' with Ulster Bank, arrears of E6,000. Balance of E42,000, incl. arrears, mortgage to run to 2018. I will be in a position to pay off the mortgage at the end of August, when I retire. Should I ask them for a discount for early repayment? If so, better to go to the local branch or deal with head office?
    I will not be in a good position after August to continue paying monthly, so the question just relates to whether I might expect a discount. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Maybe something similar has been covered already, but any advice would be greatly appreciated:
    We have an ''offset flexible mortgage'' with Ulster Bank, arrears of E6,000. Balance of E42,000, incl. arrears, mortgage to run to 2018. I will be in a position to pay off the mortgage at the end of August, when I retire. Should I ask them for a discount for early repayment? If so, better to go to the local branch or deal with head office?
    I will not be in a good position after August to continue paying monthly, so the question just relates to whether I might expect a discount. Thanks.

Worth a try I guess but I would be very surprised if they will write off an amount for you as it's a secured loan! Ring head office and ask for the Redemptions section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Worth a try I guess but I would be very surprised if they will write off an amount for you as it's a secured loan! Ring head office and ask for the Redemptions section.

No way will they give discount on secured debt like a mortgage right at the end.

Advertisement