Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowdrops & Bluebell Bulbs (Tall)

• 02-07-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I sowed the last two years snowdrops and bluebells but found they never grew very tall, barely up over the grass.

Can you get them taller and where (Can you order online?)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you got snowdrops to flower at all you did well! It is more likely that the soil does not have enough organic matter, and if they are in grass they will be fighting for sustenance. You could try feeding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Oldstyle1 wrote: »
    I sowed the last two years snowdrops and bluebells but found they never grew very tall, barely up over the grass.

Can you get them taller and where (Can you order online?)

Thanks
    Re tall bluebells-you might be looking for Spanish bluebells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_hispanica

Just note that they are different to the common bluebell -Hyacinthoides non-scripta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_non-scripta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, please don't plant spanish bluebells. They are very pretty (briefly) but they are thugs and will take over your garden. Anyone who has any would gladly give you buckets-full of the dratted things. Like me for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

looksee wrote: »
    No, please don't plant spanish bluebells. They are very pretty (briefly) but they are thugs and will take over your garden. Anyone who has any would gladly give you buckets-full of the dratted things. Like me for example.

Not to mention they're ugly and are destroying the native species by hybridizing with it.

In response to the original post -
    Snowdrops will lack vigour until they have had a few years to establish, after that you'll have large clumps of them that will generally be healthy and tall.
    Snowflakes look superficially similar and grow taller, but don't look as nice in my opinion and are a bit latter.

Bluebells will spread if the conditions are right too, just give them time. The old bluebell and snowdrop bulbs in my garden had much more impressive flowers than the new ones I put in last autumn. It will take time for the new ones to catch up because they need to establish and store carbohydrates (which is why you must only cut the foliage back once it turns yellow and dies naturally or else you'll eventually exhaust the bulbs).

Advertisement