Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA Qualifying Criteria

Options
  • 02-07-2013 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys, does anyone know the story with how long you have to unemployed to qualify? i was under the impression from reading below(taken from citizen information website) that it was 9months throughout the year, nothing mentioned about continualsly

"Qualifying period
    For second level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for at least 3 months (78 days of unemployment*). You must be getting the qualifying paymentimmediately before you start the course.

For third level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*). You must be getting the qualifying payment immediately before you start the course.

*If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment."

However reading through threads on boards people seem to be sayin it has to be continusly, asked in citizen information, yer one was pretty clueless. I was unemployed from August12-end of Feb then got a temp job from March to may thinking I would still qualify, not I'm not sure. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

ms.sunnyb wrote: »
    Hi guys, does anyone know the story with how long you have to unemployed to qualify? i was under the impression from reading below(taken from citizen information website) that it was 9months throughout the year, nothing mentioned about continualsly

"Qualifying period
    For second level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for at least 3 months (78 days of unemployment*). You must be getting the qualifying paymentimmediately before you start the course.

For third level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*). You must be getting the qualifying payment immediately before you start the course.

*If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment."

However reading through threads on boards people seem to be sayin it has to be continusly, asked in citizen information, yer one was pretty clueless. I was unemployed from August12-end of Feb then got a temp job from March to may thinking I would still qualify, not I'm not sure. Any info would be appreciated, thanks
    Keep reading its in next paragraph on the BTEA page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ms.sunnyb

oops, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

I've rang the btea people in carrick on Shannon a few times and they could not have been more helpful, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tashaf

I've been accepted for college in September 2013 but I don't qualify for BETA because i'm only on illness benefit for 12months.

I really don't want to miss this opportunity :( I dunno what to do... Someone please help :(:(:(:(

Is there a way around all this?

(new to boards.ie I dunno how this works really)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Tashaf wrote: »
    I've been accepted for college in September 2013 but I don't qualify for BETA because i'm only on illness benefit for 12months.

I really don't want to miss this opportunity :( I dunno what to do... Someone please help :(:(:(:(

Is there a way around all this?

(new to boards.ie I dunno how this works really)

You could come off illness benefit and go on jobseekers now and that might make up the 3 months.

• Advertisement

and would it matter if I was working before I went on the illness benefit to go straight to jobseekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

you could retain your illness benefit and commence a college course ( I think its still the same). You need written permission from the illness benefit section. However if you are cut off illness benefit during the course you may not be entitled to any payment if still attending college.

and is it still possible to apply for the SUSI grant on the illness benefit? I'll be attending a plc course

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

and is it still possible to apply for the SUSI grant on the illness benefit? I'll be attending a plc course

It once was, but again this is something you will have to clarify with SUSI or IB, better still citizens advice will resolve you query . I did a PLC in 2009 while on IB, I did not look for the grant as I already possessed a higher qualification. A lot has changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yes you can get both IB and the grant but if you get the grant it will affect any rent allowance or mortgage interest relief you may be receiving.

You may also be reassessed for the medical card after 3 years.

Info available on the CIC website here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/social_welfare_payments_and_the_student_maintenance_grant_for_the_2010_11_academic_year.html

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all the info. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

you could retain your illness benefit and commence a college course ( I think its still the same). You need written permission from the illness benefit section. However if you are cut off illness benefit during the course you may not be entitled to any payment if still attending college.

Think that permission takes a long time to come through so perhaps the other route may be more straightforward.

Advertisement