Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favorite part of the Christmas dinner?

Options
  • 02-07-2013 6:35pm
    Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

So for me it' a bread stuffing we make. and then the smoked ham!
    What is it for ye?

Comments

The wine, and Yorkshire puddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I don't normally eat Sunday dinner / carvery except for my Christmas dinner! Love Brussels sprouts with the gravy and a bit of stuffing mixed in.......god, my whole mouth watered there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

lots and lots and lots of meat, turkey, ham, bacon and sausages!!

and then.....after dinner dinner Irish coffee's and dozing off in front of the fire :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

For me it has to be the starter, crisp iceberg lettuce, prawns and crab meat all sloshed together with colemans seafood sauce and lemon drizzled over. Nom!! Failing that, my grannies stuffing, or the goose. And the ham too but only on Christmas eve when it's fresh out of the pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Stuffing, with gravy!!

Custard!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

After a lot of thought I can't separate the roast potatoes from the ham. They have to just tie for first place. The stuffing and turkey are in a very close second.

This Christmas my mammy will be cooking the dinner, thank God! The stress of doing the dinner last year was awful! :eek: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

The trimmings! The stuffing, roast potatos and roast parsnips *slavers* I like the meat but I could take or leave it compared to all the trimmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Maybe I'm getting old?

I used to love my Christmas dinner and I take my Christmas cooking very seriously

I make my own cranberry sauce, bread sauce and stuffing. I brine the turkey. I cook the ham in either coca cola or cider, I prefer coca cola for some reason. I use Darina Allen's recipe for the cranberry sauce (I add orange juice), I love Allen's recipe for the traditional stuffing. I score the ham and then put in the cloves and then glaze with honey. I make gravy with the turkey giblets.
    I love brussel sprouts - score the bottom of them with a cross, cook them in butter and grate nutmeg over them.

But after all that work, the Christmas dinner 2012, tasted of nothing, despite organic bird and ham and loads of work, it tasted of nothing at all.

Christmas 2013 will be T Bone steaks!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 focusvsastrata

The smoked ham!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

The stuffing and turkey...yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Roast potatoes hands down! Plenty of thyme and basting with oil. Nom nom!

I also love brussel sprouts smothered with cranberry sauce. Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Stuffing! Love me some stuffing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

will.i.am wrote: »
    So for me it' a bread stuffing we make. and then the smoked ham!
    What is it for ye?

Stuffing, and cloved ham. Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Trifle followed by Irish coffee's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

tigerblob wrote: »
    The trimmings! The stuffing, roast potatos and roast parsnips *slavers* I like the meat but I could take or leave it compared to all the trimmings.

But the meat juices help along the trimmings! :)

Stuffing from inside the bird is far superior to stuffing cooked separately, as the juices seep in. *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

When you get the perfect balance of turkey, mash, roasted potatoe, veg, stuffing, gravy and ham on the fork(shovel)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

My favourite part has to be the awkward silence, and the utter resentment in the family's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FineFilly

Turkey and stuffing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Sausage meatloaf..... YUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The spiced beef we have on Christmas Eve is delicious.

As for actual Christmas dinner it would have to be the stuffing, the potatoes, and the homemade cheesecake we have for dessert. Can't be beaten.

Christmas dinner is also the only time of year I make an effort to splash out and pick out a nice wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I love Buche de Noel too when there's a hint of orange added to it.

Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

When we all sit down in the sitting room afterwards and relax, talk about the Christmas's when we were kid's etc

We're a close family :-)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Awe that's lovely geomy :)

For me it's cooking it. It's just me and my mam at Christmas as dad has passed on and my sisters have their own families. My mam works Christmas Day so ill cook and when she's home we will eat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

ChewChew wrote: »
    Awe that's lovely geomy :)

For me it's cooking it. It's just me and my mam at Christmas as dad has passed on and my sisters have their own families. My mam works Christmas Day so ill cook and when she's home we will eat. :)

It's kinda nice and cosy doing the family thing isn't it. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yes. I like it when we are all together. It tends to be just myself, my father and the cat......

I wouldn't have it any other way. On Christmas Eve, I 'move' home :D myself and mam then go out for dinner, go to mass and then stop in for a sneaky G&T and have a nice stroll
    Home :) I couldn't be away from home for Christmas as long as she's around and she wants to have Christmas here. So on st Stephens day I'm flying out for 2 weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Succulent turkey and stuffing with gravy.
    What am I saying...DRY turkey with stuffing and gravy.
    I LOVE the dinner, even though it's not that much different from a Sunday roast.
    Love that we have lovely wine to go with it and then slob out in front of the box.

In my house, even with my mam, we just don't do Sunday roast unless we visit one of my sisters. Do havin the big dinner is such a treat to us. It's the one thing we don't hold back on. Everything goes on that plate!!! EVERYTHING :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

ChewChew wrote: »
    In my house, even with my mam, we just don't do Sunday roast unless we visit one of my sisters. Do havin the big dinner is such a treat to us. It's the one thing we don't hold back on. Everything goes on that plate!!! EVERYTHING :D

Yep, I love everything! I don't really do big dinners, but Christmas day it's no holds barred! The plate is not big enough to host the amount of food on it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My parents don't know it yet, but this year my husband and I are having dinner on our own at our house. We'll visit them for a few drinks in the evening. Last year my husband was in the UK so we didn't see each other on Christmas day, every other year for the past 17 years we've gone to my parents or his for dinner. We've only had 1 Christmas day to ourselves. We spent it in our pyjamas and had the full Christmas dinner on the sofa, it was brilliant.

I'm a veggie and my mother doesn't do veggie cooking so I usually bring a quorn chicken curry, not very festive. This year I'll get to have roast potatoes and veggie gravy and brussels sprouts, it'll be great. Oh I love Christmas pudding too, with lashings of thick fresh whipped cream

Advertisement