Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favorite part of the Christmas dinner?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Aineoil wrote: »
    organic bird and ham
    How easy are these to find organically?

I'm half afraid to go near a butchers to ask again, after the patronising response I got the last time I asked. Lets just say I was told none of their meat was organic, that I'd be wasting my money if I did buy it, and with a border-line sneer attached to it.

If anybody else might know this, I'd appreciate the info!
    Gatling wrote: »
    Trifle followed by Irish coffee's
    Haven't had either of these in years, might make room for both over Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Catphish wrote: »

Generally the supermarkets have organic turkeys in stock but they can be a little pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Generally the supermarkets have organic turkeys in stock but they can be a little pricey.

Thanks for replying. I'm not too bothered by the cost to be honest. My nearest Dunnes has little by the way of organic food in general. There is a larger tesco nearby that will only offer organic minced beef. Chicken can be found free range only, and as for other meats there is no attempt to promise either.

I wish I could find a contact that I could purchase my meats from on a regular basis that are organically fed. I've been to a farmers market recently and got some chicken and mince from them, but its a good drive away.

I know eating organic is more expensive, but I push for it as much as I can. I grow my own but it needs supplementing with shop bought organic food because I don't have the space to feed us all successionally.

As an aside, I bought some Maris Peer seed potatoes which I will be pulling out of the ground for Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks for replying. I'm not too bothered by the cost to be honest. My nearest Dunnes has little by the way of organic food in general. There is a larger tesco nearby that will only offer organic minced beef. Chicken can be found free range only, and as for other meats there is no attempt to promise either.

I know in my local Tesco they generally have organic turkeys at Christmas, haven't seen that many in dunnes tough. You could also try Superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Stuffing, roast ham, roast tatties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Has to be, when I lay it all out on the table in dishes and call everyone in,that split second before they come through the door... Ahhhhhh all those hours all the stress, and working in between (taxi man)...and then all the wee thank you comments,you'd swear they never had a bit to ate... It was worth every minute:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Roasties and the stuffing.. my Father makes the best stuffing ever!!!

I can't wait for Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Turkey with sausage meat stuffing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My favorite part is getting a bloody seat at the dinner table :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

Spiced beef and brussel sprouts.

Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'm half afraid to go near a butchers to ask again, after the patronising response I got the last time I asked. Lets just say I was told none of their meat was organic, that I'd be wasting my money if I did buy it, and with a border-line sneer attached to it.

If anybody else might know this, I'd appreciate the info!

Haven't had either of these in years, might make room for both over Christmas :)

Consider ethical or outdoor-reared from a recommended supplier as well as organic. To get the organic seal is beyond the patience and means of some farmers who treat their animals very well. OldFarm.ie do free range ham and pork. Various people do turkey but I don't know where you're based.

Advertisement