Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel additives/Dipetane efficiency?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

Is Dipetane not just similar to the additives that Topaz, Maxol and Texaco add to their fuels ?

What is the cheapest way / cheapest place to buy it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Ok so - I horsed in some dipetane and did my drive. Gotta say the car did seem alot smoother straight away. On a run that I recently did with no dipetane late at night, about 80km, with cruise control set the whole way and no interruptions the trip computer told me I did 5.8l/100km. Same run today in heavy traffic with lots of slowing down and speeding up and me driving more aggresively to be honest due to pure frustration with muppets and with dipetane in the tank I expected worse consumption. The trip computer reported 5.5l/100km !!!!:eek:

I've found my trip computer to be pretty inaccurate - see the links in my signature and if you hover over the "BC" icon (silly German website :rolleyes:) it'll show what the trip computer said, usually around 1 l/100km more than what I was really getting. Newer cars may be more accurate, but since in the large majority of cases the computer is calculating fuel consumption from airflow it's never going to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Picked up 5 litres for 35 euro at Trim motor Factors.

I got a handy new fuel app for my Android phone called Fuel Log.

I have two fill ups in it now with no Dipetane. 48.96 and 52.15. MPG. I will do one more and then do three with Dipetane. The 48.96 is was a primarily a different kind of driving then the 52.
    13 cent per mile according to the handy statistics the app gives.

It must project the costs, 1813 is what it says Ill spend on fuel in a year.
    Feck me!
    149.76 euro to go 894 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

bbk wrote: »
    I got a handy new fuel app for my Android phone called Fuel Log.
    Are you using the free or the paid-for pro version of the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

anyone know the cheapest place in cork/limerick to get dipetane (5L containers) ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

pa990 wrote: »
    anyone know the cheapest place in cork/limerick to get dipetane (5L containers) ??
    €30 in the auto factor in Glanmire village, cork. I buy it there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

nightster1 wrote: »
    €30 in the auto factor in Glanmire village, cork. I buy it there

where exactly is that motorfactors ? is it near the super valu or monkey maze ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I use BG 44K. Very good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

pa990 wrote: »
    where exactly is that motorfactors ? is it near the super valu or monkey maze ?

it's a few doors down from Monkey Maze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Swampy wrote: »
    I use BG 44K. Very good stuff.

They have a few interesting products:
    http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

Can they be bought within Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Welll my car went for the NCT and failed on smoke (non turbo diesel) reading at 4.70 and the limit is 2.50. Just wondering is it all it craics up to be? And can it get readings down from almost double??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

yes it works cant remember how much but brought my reading down to next to nothing. Do an hours good driving with it in tank before nct. Mine was a Turbo Diesle (Skoda octavia) if that makes a diff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An Italian Tune Up can help with that too... rev the hell out of her for a good blast along country roads somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I Was VB wrote: »
    Welll my car went for the NCT and failed on smoke (non turbo diesel) reading at 4.70 and the limit is 2.50. Just wondering is it all it craics up to be? And can it get readings down from almost double??

Used Dipetane before and seen the benefits.

Can't give figures though as it was on the Passat which is long gone.

Which is smoking high? Avensis or Carina?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Used Dipetane before and seen the benefits.

Can't give figures though as it was on the Passat which is long gone.

Which is smoking high? Avensis or Carina?

The Corona, i put €5 worth of petrol in her before it went for the NCT and a spirited drive around Howth, thought it would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have used it in the car and lawnmower with good results :).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Any joy VB?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Any joy VB?

Its going for the NCT hopefully again this week. I'm gonna give it a blast up and down the M1 before i do. I've also given it a service with all the filters replaced so to give it the best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I Was VB wrote: »
    Its going for the NCT hopefully again this week. I'm gonna give it a blast up and down the M1 before i do. I've also given it a service with all the filters replaced so to give it the best chance.

Remove the air filter temporarily for the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

For the price of it, try it & see! But it's not a magic wand if you have a big under lying problem.... such as a f**ked lambda senor/catalytic coverter etc

Has worked for me on both celica & capri's in the past but they were always borderline & had a proper drive before the re-test...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

As an aftershave it's rubbish. Hai Karate or Brut 33 are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ta2kevin

I know a guy that had a lot of trouble trying to get a '96 Levin throught the test, tried everything, Dipetane included. In the end, he was advised to throw a cup of diesel into a half tank. he did this before the test, gave it a good spin and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

I got my avensis through the nct though the dealer said the cat was gone but the dipetane done the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Turn the pump down or set the max revs lower if it's mechanical... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Diptane will only clean any build up of deposits in the combustions chambers etc, which can cause poor combustion(high smoke readings), it won't actually repair any fault that may be causing the high readings. The likes of a split intake pipe or broken vacuum hose etc will effect the AFR and lead to excess smoke.

ofcork wrote: »
    I got my avensis through the nct though the dealer said the cat was gone but the dipetane done the job.

If its a diesel, the cat has no effect on the smoke test.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

Diptane will only clean any build up of deposits in the combustions chambers etc, which can cause poor combustion(high smoke readings), it won't actually repair any fault that may be causing the high readings. The likes of a split intake pipe or broken vacuum hose etc will effect the AFR and lead to excess smoke.

i had a leak from an injector for several months with a 2litre hdi but used this for about 2 weeks and problem seems to have gone now, no fault comes up with the scanner when i plug it in either.

this would help clear out injectors wouldnt it as there is alot of bad diesel around at present.

its suppose to makes vehicle easier on fuel too

2pack wrote: »
    i had a leak from an injector for several months with a 2litre hdi but used this for about 2 weeks and problem seems to have gone now, no fault comes up with the scanner when i plug it in either.

this would help clear out injectors wouldnt it as there is alot of bad diesel around at present.

its suppose to makes vehicle easier on fuel too

Its not possible for Diptane to repair an injector leak, in fact, removing heavy deposits would be likely to make any leaks from injector seals etc worse.

If you are talking about leakback from an injector(very different thing to an actually leak) then yes, it could help if the injector was sticking due to build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

cant remember exactly now but said on scanner some about leak on injector 3 or something,

• Advertisement

Well i had the retest there today, dont exactly know what happened, but the cars smoke test blew 8.960!! The 1st test was 4.7 and the limit is 2.50!!

Car has been serviced since the last test, oil filter, oil, air filter, fuel filter has been changed. Also put a full bottle of Dipetane into a half full tank.

Im stumped, only thing i can do is adjust the injector pump.

Advertisement