Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel additives/Dipetane efficiency?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I Was VB wrote: »
    Well i had the retest there today, dont exactly know what happened, but the cars smoke test blew 8.960!! The 1st test was 4.7 and the limit is 2.50!!

Car has been serviced since the last test, oil filter, oil, air filter, fuel filter has been changed. Also put a full bottle of Dipetane into a half full tank.

Im stumped, only thing i can do is adjust the injector pump.

Have you had the AFM checked? Intake, intercooler and vacume pipes, compression test etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Have you had the AFM checked? Intake, intercooler and vacume pipes, compression test etc etc?

Nope but gonna spend the day going through them with a fine tooth comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

I use Dipetane now and then, one time before my cars last NCT I had been adding it to fills of diesel religiously. Car passed the emissions part of the test spectactularly (put out less than half the emissions it was allowed to). But I've also had a number of mechanics over the years remarking that the engine looks very good on it, which I assume is the main reason its emissions are under control. So, yes, it will help, but if there's a serious underlying problem you're probably going to have to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Well problem solved, brought it to my mechanic today told him what had been done and what not. He dismissed it as the engine is just too worn 460K kms on her now. I had a feeling that the oil i used for her wasnt the best (bardall 10w40 semi) so i got him to give her a oil change with Castrol GTX 15w40.

So we put her on the smoke test again, 1st reading 2.57 2nd 2.29, 3rd 1.91.

So she should waltz the nct retest, just goes to show the right oil can make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm interested to hear if most of you continue to use dipetane?

Also, is it safe to use on an E46 320 diesel engine?

(The BMW owner's manual recommends not to use fuel additives!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i bought a 1lt bottle today.......but there's little or no instructions on it:confused: so how am i suppose to know how much to put in?? a full bottle per tank full or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

fryup wrote: »
    i bought a 1lt bottle today.......but there's little or no instructions on it:confused: so how am i suppose to know how much to put in?? a full bottle per tank full or what?

1:200 mix

or one of the the units on the side of the bottle(50ml) for every 10 litres of fuel. Pretty sure it says that on the bottle though.

I think it's great stuff. I put it in every time I fill up. Makes the van alot nicer to drive. It's a VE pump TDI so can be quite agricultural at low revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I have a 65 litre tank and I use a 1/3 for each fill

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm interested to hear if most of you continue to use dipetane?

Yes - I'm using it years in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

it is one of the best sellers in my shop...and it does actually work to my suprise. we have a taxi driver who uses a lot of oil that failed on smoke on nct...bottle of diptane the night before the nct and he passed with flying colours....nothing else done to the car to pass just a bottle of dipitane!!!

the markings on the side of the bottle tell you....if you put in 10ltrs of fuel put in on marking on the bottle...if you put in 50ltrs of fuel put in 5 markings on side of the bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

So this stuff really works?
    Might try a bottle sometime and see what difference it makes.
    Don't forget to check your tyre pressures weekly, remove unused roof racks and unwanted sh1te in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What this like in newer common rail diesels?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

What this like in newer common rail diesels?
    Ive used it in loads of stuff, but I suspect the biggest gains are to be made in the lowest efficiency engines, ie older stuff and diesels mostly. You try it and tell us though! :D

I really need to try this in the 8series, 347miles per 90litres fairly consistent, would be an interesting test.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ive used it in loads of stuff, but I suspect the biggest gains are to be made in the lowest efficiency engines, ie older stuff and diesels mostly. You try it and tell us though! :D

You supply the spare parts and ill try it!

You supply the spare parts and ill try it!
    What spare parts!? Its not going to break anything, most diesels on the road thanks to 2008 tax breaks are CR, so if there was a problem we would know about it. We have CR diesels on the road now since the Alfa 156 (1997, thats a lot of test cases).

dipitane can be used in any engine...petrol...diesel...sure it can even be used in your home heating....up north its pre-mixed in a particular brand of home heating fuel...its safe to use in all fuels...drew, the owner explained to me before, that dipitane contains materials that are already in fuel. It makes the burn more efficient leaving less carbon build up

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Yes - I'm using it years in mine.

using it years in my BMW 3.0d

2L of vegatable oil added per tank keeps the injectors sweet, if you do a lot of slow speed traffic driving

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Everytime I use it I get engine warning lights and limp mode in my yoke! Nearly bought a bottle yesterday when I was buying oil to service it but had 2nd thoughts, Its a accord estate 2.2 cdti, anybody else have same issues??

Everytime I use it I get engine warning lights and limp mode in my yoke! Nearly bought a bottle yesterday when I was buying oil to service it but had 2nd thoughts, Its a accord estate 2.2 cdti, anybody else have same issues??

Wow.. never heard of that and I know people who put in 10times the dosage accidentally. Id love to see the error codes for that to see what the sensors are picking up.. Im wondering if your water contamination sensor in your (diesel) fuel filter isnt picking up something or already on the verge of over contamination?

ive never heard of any problems from using it...are you sure its the dipetane that is causing your problem? like i said its made up of whats already in your fuel so shouldn't cause any problems http://www.dipetane.com/Technical.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Garage used in our S-Max to get rid of engine warning lights - did the trick it seems too as nothing in 6 months. Recommended we either make sure the car gets good long spirited drives every so often or put the dipetane through again. Generally only used for short runs and it seems the engine needs more action every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Another thumbs up for this stuff,failed nct on emissons friday put some in and drove it for the week passed no problems on the retest following thursday.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    What spare parts!? Its not going to break anything, most diesels on the road thanks to 2008 tax breaks are CR, so if there was a problem we would know about it. We have CR diesels on the road now since the Alfa 156 (1997, thats a lot of test cases).

I'm just a but slow to try it in a CR. I might give it a blast and see how it goes over a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use it in my old 2C-TE makes it very quiet running.
    My local garage owner uses it in his Mondeo TDCi with no problems and swears by it.
    Diesels would benefit from the additional lubrication, either that or some two stroke oil added to the tank, to keep the pump running nice.
    Low Sulphur might be good for the environment but its hard on mechanical stuff.

I'm just a but slow to try it in a CR. I might give it a blast and see how it goes over a tank.

it can be used in any engine without worry's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I still swear by the €5 of petrol on the way to the NCT method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

it can be used in any engine without worry's

Do you have a link to prove that? A common rail diesel and a dpf are expensive to repair/replace so it'd be nice if you could reassure those who have to actually foot the bill that there's no risk.

I've yet to see a study cited by the manufacturers of Dipetane that involves a common rail diesel and especially a euro V diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

245 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to prove that? A common rail diesel and a dpf are expensive to repair/replace so it'd be nice if you could reassure those who have to actually foot the bill that there's no risk.

I've yet to see a study cited by the manufacturers of Dipetane that involves a common rail diesel and especially a euro V diesel.

Common rail isn't some sort of voodoo. I'd say your more likely to foot a bill not using dipetane.

i provided a link showing that dipetane is made up of nothing that isn't already in your fuel. so unless your diesel is damaging your engine i wouldnt worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I use it in a hard worked FIAT 2.8JTD Power engine (50K miles done) and a Volvo S40 1.9D (182K miles done), both Common Rail, and 'it does exactly what it says on the tin' (bottle) with no nasties.

Advertisement