Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel additives/Dipetane efficiency?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

I use dipetane on and off. For my last NCT, I had been using dipetane for a good while (the previous month or so) car sailed through first time with less than half its allowed smoke emissions output. (99 Avensis diesel)

I try to keep the car in good nick, and I know the engine is fairly sound, but I doubt it's THAT good without help. Defo recommend dipetane for a time before NCT testing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Pottler wrote: »
    Well it must be right so. Contact Dipethane at once, they're always looking for irrefutable proof, they'll be delighted.:)

i have them on speed dial

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you used half a bottle per full fill, at €5 a bottle, and say 65 litres a fill, thats 3.85c on for every litre. What are you even saving? It would be the equivalent of pay €1.68/L at the pump or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Syllabus wrote: »
    i have them on speed dial
    Looking forward to seeing "as recomended by Syllabus" on the Dipethane website soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

One thing that no-one has talked about is the fact that Petrol and Diesel are not the same as they were 5 years ago.
    The Bio-fuel percentage is in the order of 2.5% or more in some cases.
    You could argue that Dipentane is snake oil and in fact all additives are just placebos, because if the stuff was that good wouldn't the oil companies sell it mixed in to the fuel?
    People generally buy the cheapest fuel they can and in some cases this is substantially below par with washed diesel.
    Do you really think the oil companies would be bothered selling high grade fuel if they don't have to?
    I think there is room for good quality fuel additives to replace the sulphur and lubricity that was lost in the rush to ULSD and Bio-additives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Car failed NCT smoke test today. 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9tid 160k km

Smoke 3.75/m
    Engine/Oil Temperature 102 Degrees

Limit 3.00/m (Turbo)

Going to get a 5l bottle of Dipetane tomorrow from O'Connors in Glanmire.

How long should I use it before going for the retest? I'll clean the EGR valve too, probably needs a clean anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

<Ollie> wrote: »
    How long should I use it before going for the retest? I'll clean the EGR valve too, probably needs a clean anyway.

At least 500miles IMO, which shouldnt take you too long. Also drive it like you stole it etc.. Fudging by the diesel smoke test in the NCT is easy though, some blended Kerosene and Veg Oil would do it no problem (but thats tax evasion and we cant discuss it disclaimer time). Proper BioDiesel, while smelling funny, almost completely eliminates smoke even on a straight through exhaust with no "Cat" or DPF needed.

Passing a Petrol emissions test (with Dipetane etc) is way harder as its an actual analysis.

Thank Matt, that won't take too long at all. I'll report back with NCT result and fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Thank Matt, that won't take too long at all. I'll report back with NCT result and fuel economy.

If nothing else it would be an interesting real world experiment!

Egr clean, diptane and a heavy foot will make it difficult to attribute credit where its due :)

• Advertisement

Heavy foot won't be a problem anyway. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You could argue that Dipentane is snake oil and in fact all additives are just placebos, because if the stuff was that good wouldn't the oil companies sell it mixed in to the fuel?
    People generally buy the cheapest fuel they can and in some cases this is substantially below par with washed diesel.
    Do you really think the oil companies would be bothered selling high grade fuel if they don't have to?

But they already do. Up north Dipetaine is added to home heating oil. They have another name for it which escapes me at the moment

Car failed NCT smoke test today. 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9tid 160k km

Smoke 3.75/m
    Engine/Oil Temperature 102 Degrees

Limit 3.00/m (Turbo)

Going to get a 5l bottle of Dipetane tomorrow from O'Connors in Glanmire.

our delivery van failed on smoke in the doe....threw in dipitane drove it hard for a couple of hours and it passed the smoke test

But they already do. Up north Dipetaine is added to home heating oil. They have another name for it which escapes me at the moment
    Yes but I am talking about motor fuel companies, no-one that I am aware of is selling it at the pump?

Yes but I am talking about motor fuel companies, no-one that I am aware of is selling it at the pump?

none selling it...but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.. Why would the fuel company's offer a product that is reported to increase your mpg?

they would be selling less fuel then :confused:

none selling it...but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.. Why would the fuel company's offer a product that is reported to increase your mpg?

they would be selling less fuel then :confused:
    I am not argueing that it doesn't work, I use it!
    Some fuel companies already claim that for their fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

curran oil sell heating oil pre mixed with dipetane, they call it Sureheat, or sure max or something like that.

others sell it as premium kero

I am not argueing that it doesn't work, I use it!
    Some fuel companies already claim that for their fuel!

they CLAIM IT..... come on now...these guys are barrels of crude oil at how many $ a barrel? you think they want you to save fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

they CLAIM IT..... come on now...these guys are barrels of crude oil at how many $ a barrel? you think they want you to save fuel?
    5th gear done a test on premium unleaded and to varying degree they increased bhp which probably would increase mpg. But the answer was a small increase in power they felt in a golf gti u would not notice it to justify paying 5p per litre more

st1979 wrote: »
    5th gear done a test on premium unleaded and to varying degree they increased bhp which probably would increase mpg. But the answer was a small increase in power they felt in a golf gti u would not notice it to justify paying 5p per litre more

that has nothing to do with dipitane though...dipitane doesn't increase the RON rating of the fuel.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    At least 500miles IMO, which shouldnt take you too long. Also drive it like you stole it etc.. Fudging by the diesel smoke test in the NCT is easy though, some blended Kerosene and Veg Oil would do it no problem (but thats tax evasion and we cant discuss it disclaimer time). Proper BioDiesel, while smelling funny, almost completely eliminates smoke even on a straight through exhaust with no "Cat" or DPF needed.

Passing a Petrol emissions test (with Dipetane etc) is way harder as its an actual analysis.
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    If nothing else it would be an interesting real world experiment!
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Egr clean, diptane and a heavy foot will make it difficult to attribute credit where its due :)

Got the EGR valve cleaned today, and a full tank of diesel with 400ml of Dipetane in it.

The EGR valve was great fun. When removing the EGR one of the gaskets fell (should have purchased new ones anyway) and just about retrieved it with a clothes hanger on a loop and a flash lamp. If it fell an inch either way I wouldn't have got it. Took me 30 mins to find it. Probably the longest EGR clean job in history.

It was fairly clogged up and there's a noticeable difference in performance now. Carb cleaner made it like new. New oil and filter too. Hopefully she'll pass the retest on the 29th.

I use dipetane in my kero condensing boiler, and when I last had it serviced, it was running at 97.2% efficiently.
    that has me convinced.

I add dipetane religiously to my e46 2L petrol and I  average at least 38mpg

and I'm not afraid to run a/c and I drive with dipped lights 24/7

I'm convinced.

I buy dipetane at 30 euro per 5L bottle, so it adds 3c per L.
    I'll continue using it

pa990 wrote: »
    I buy dipetane at 39 euro per 5L bottle, so it adds 3c per L. I'll continue using it

I bought a 5L bottle yesterday for €30.

I bought a 5L bottle yesterday for €30.

typo. I also buy it 30 euro per 5litre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I've started using it recently in my passat Tdi. It's chipped and now with a drop of dipetane every couple of fills I'm most definitely getting more MPG. The trick is not to over use it or use too much.. Less is more. Passat averaging 5.1/100km over last 4800kms on trip2 counter. That's a mixture of city and motorway driving. I've nearly 190k on the clock and its running pretty good at the minute.

bbability wrote: »
    I've started using it recently in my passat Tdi. It's chipped and now with a drop of dipetane every couple of fills I'm most definitely getting more MPG. The trick is not to over use it or use too much.. Less is more. Passat averaging 5.1/100km over last 4800kms on trip2 counter. That's a mixture of city and motorway driving. I've nearly 190k on the clock and its running pretty good at the minute.

That's 55mpg, which is excellent. What year is the Passat and which diesel engine is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

B6 1.9tdi2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

pa990 wrote: »
    I use dipetane in my kero condensing boiler, and when I last had it serviced, it was running at 97.2% efficiently.
    that has me convinced.

I add dipetane religiously to my e46 2L petrol and I average at least 38mpg

and I'm not afraid to run a/c and I drive with dipped lights 24/7

I'm convinced.

I buy dipetane at 30 euro per 5L bottle, so it adds 3c per L.
    I'll continue using it
    The efficency percentage is a makey-uppey figure from the servicing engineer(we service boilers) that has no and I mean no basis or meaning in real life and 38 mg is about average for your 2l. I'm not sold on dipethane and nothing much in this thread is changing that. Failing an emissions test and then doing an Italian tune-up to get it to pass has happened since tests were introduced(uk esp) and that was without dipethane. As I've said before, I've never had any real world measurable improvements with it on any of our vehicles, and I've loads, our entire business is vehicle based. If "the trick" is to use little, that sounds a little homeopathy related. Repairing existing faults on a vehicle, throwing in some addative at the same time and then claiming "it has never ran better" is also a bit of a questioner as well.

Pottler wrote: »
    The efficency percentage is a makey-uppey figure from the servicing engineer(we service boilers) that has no and I mean no basis or meaning in real life and 38 mg is about average for your 2l. I'm not sold on dipethane and nothing much in this thread is changing that. Failing an emissions test and then doing an Italian tune-up to get it to pass has happened since tests were introduced(uk esp) and that was without dipethane. As I've said before, I've never had any real world measurable improvements with it on any of our vehicles, and I've loads, our entire business is vehicle based. If "the trick" is to use little, that sounds a little homeopathy related. Repairing existing faults on a vehicle, throwing in some addative at the same time and then claiming "it has never ran better" is also a bit of a questioner as well.

the boiler may have been makey upy, the guy had a meter that he used on the boiler exhaust and showed me as he was doing it.

the e46 has 170k miles on the clock and was averaging 33mpg last year before I started using dipetane. and if I drive it very easy I'll avg 40 to 42mpg

either which way, I'll keep using it. it doesn't seem to do anything negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

I found this stuff brilliant . having a smokey diesel I was worried it wouldn't pass the NCT . I used it over 2 weeks (half the bottle on one fill and half on the next fill) and it flew the NCT .MPG seems to be better too. Engine is going great since I used it.

somebody else was saying they could smell the engine smoke coming into the cabin since they used this , I find this aswell , the smell only last for a few seconds though.

Advertisement