Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel additives/Dipetane efficiency?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I found this stuff brilliant . having a smokey diesel I was worried it wouldn't pass the NCT . I used it over 2 weeks (half the bottle on one fill and half on the next fill) and it flew the NCT .MPG seems to be better too. Engine is going great since I used it.

somebody else was saying they could smell the engine smoke coming into the cabin since they used this , I find this aswell , the smell only last for a few seconds though.
    Again, "worried", no real proof it would, "seems", same thing. Maybe it would have flown it anyway? I know this comes across as a downer who will accept no proof at all, nope, I would, but I've run it in loads of vans and cars and never saw the solid evidence. I get paid mileage, track fuel use and care about what mpg things are doing, and I didn't see any improvement, so I stopped using it. It seems to be very "anecdotal" based evidence. I have 5 litres in the workshop and a loaded LT35 I know is doing 28mpg average, I'm going to bung some in and give it another go and see what happens. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Pottler wrote: »
    Again, "worried", no real proof it would, "seems", same thing. Maybe it would have flown it anyway? I know this comes across as a downer who will accept no proof at all, nope, I would, but I've run it in loads of vans and cars and never saw the solid evidence. I get paid mileage, track fuel use and care about what mpg things are doing, and I didn't see any improvement, so I stopped using it. It seems to be very "anecdotal" based evidence.

But there's already been loads of NCT fails, and the use of Dipetane enabled a pass on a retest. The Coca Cola fleet have been using it for years and have produced statics on MGP, durability and longevity etc. So have CRH and a few more big fleets.

I only started using it today as my car failed the NCT smoke test. The retest is on the 29th, so I'll let you know then. My car does on average (consistently) 5.9 to 6.1L to 100km. I'll be running Dipetane for 6 months from today, so I'm going to update fuel figures every so often.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    But there's already been loads of NCT fails, and the use of Dipetane enabled a pass on a retest. The Coca Cola fleet have been using it for years and have produced statics on MGP, durability and longevity etc. So have CRH and a few more big fleets.

I only started using it today as my car failed the NCT smoke test. The retest is on the 29th, so I'll let you know then. My car does on average (consistently) 5.9 to 6.1L to 100km. I'll be running Dipetane for 6 months from today, so I'm going to update fuel figures every so often.
    I'm a willing to be convinced skeptic. My fuel bill is now over €1400 a week, if i thought I could reduce it, I would. I do work for coke, pretty sure they use independent hackers, I've already said that, there is no fleet I know of so I'm not buying that one at all at all for now. And when there's an NCT fail, and the egr, cat, plugs, filters all get changed, plus a bout of "hard driving" is engaged in, plus dipethane, I'm not jumping on the dipethane as the one factor that caused a pass. Good luck with the re-test btw, keep us posted.

Will keep you updated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

Again, "worried", no real proof it would, "seems", same thing. Maybe it would have flown it anyway? I know this comes across as a downer who will accept no proof at all, nope, I would, but I've run it in loads of vans and cars and never saw the solid evidence. I get paid mileage, track fuel use and care about what mpg things are doing, and I didn't see any improvement, so I stopped using it. It seems to be very "anecdotal" based evidence. I have 5 litres in the workshop and a loaded LT35 I know is doing 28mpg average, I'm going to bung some in and give it another go and see what happens. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

I get what you're saying I didn't produce any real evidence that's true . I don't have the figures to hand but I have heard OH say the MPG has improved , but I notice myself I'm not at the diesel pump as often , again I know , that's no real evidece without the figures !

Previously the car was very smokey and engine was shuddering on start up , the engine is ruinning very smoothly now, no shuddering. I doubt it would have passed the Nct before I used this stuff , when I started the engine before it would leave a cloud of smoke in the carpark but not anymore .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I get what you're saying I didn't produce any real evidence that's true . I'm not great at the figures but I have heard OH say the MPG has improved , what it is I don't know (don't be listening half the time ).
    but I notice myself I'm not at the diesel pump as often , again I know , that's no real evidece without the figures !

Previously the car was very smokey and engine was shuddering on start up , the engine is ruinning very smoothly now, no shuddering. I doubt it would have passed the Nct before I used this stuff , when I started the engine before it would leave a cloud of smoke in the carpark but not anymore .

Ah lads come on. Shirley the big oil companies would be incorporating this in their fuels if it was the wonder cure that it sounds.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Ah lads come on. Shirley the big oil companies would be incorporating this in their fuels if it was the wonder cure that it sounds.
    lagoona Blue hates being called shirley, btw. Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Mike

Hi all

I ve been watching the Dipetane discussion for a while and decided to give it a go. I measure my fuel economy most times when I fill up and it has on average been 50 mpg or 5.6 L/100km over the last two years. It gradually goes down in between oil changes, spark plugs and air filter changes. Also, the economy is lower too in the colder months.

I am driving a old corolla petrol 1.3 with 171k miles. Yesterday I fiilled up the tank and used dipetane as indicated on the bottle. Will update on economy.

Yours

............. And when there's an NCT fail, and the egr, cat, plugs, filters all get changed, plus a bout of "hard driving" is engaged in, plus dipethane, I'm not jumping on the dipethane as the one factor that caused a pass. ...............

In reality most cars that pass after a dipetane treatment were just a bit choked up and a shot of anything from 1/2 litre petrol to a litre of veg oil to a squirt of redex along with the heavy foot may well have produced the same result as the dipethane has imo.

About 10/15 years ago there was other stuff that was a huge fad amongst diesel drivers, it came in a bean can type container and was dispensed into the fuel filter, Bus Eireann used to buy a lot of it from a place I worked in along with every 2nd taxi driver in Cork. Same speel as dipetane.

Most of the improvement any of this tack provides is just restoring original capability and preventing future deposits.

Don't see any harm in using it but people can get a bit carried away at how good it is due to them not having a notion what their emissions failure &/or poor running was actually due to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RoverJames wrote: »
    Most of the improvement any of this tack provides is just restoring original capability and preventing future deposits.
    This has to be a good thing, though, if it is the case with Dipetane.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Of course it's a good thing, most other brands of stuff will do the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Hi guys,
    I have a 2006 1.4 D-4D Toyotal Corolla with 1nd-tv engine. I am currently getting around 50mpg when driving the car carefully and use only the best Diesel. Esso or Top seem to be the best in my area. After I serviced the car last year I was getting around 60mpg and I am nearly due a service again. Will Dipetane help bring my mpg up in the mean time.
    Have any of ye used Dipetane and if so did ye see and mpg improvements.
    All The Best,
    Tommy

Good thread here. Many have noticed a significant improvement in economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I tried the RedX that tesco sells ( think thats what its called ) never noticed any difference.
    Be useful to know if any of these additives are any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Colder weather can be part of the problem too. I am noticing a very definite drop in economy the last few months, probably close on 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I have used it in the past and it made no diffrence to fuel economy or performance. It's a waste of money imo. Also I wouldn't use it in a modern diesel for fear of doing damage to the fuel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I find it makes my engine (2-CTE) run smoother and I get better economy.
    I get 560mi per tank on average over the last 20k mi, I use 250-300mls per fill and got 600 miles from the last tank.
    Modern ULSD diesel is lacking in lubricity when Sulphur was removed from it.
    You could also run good two stroke as a lube in the fuel but Dipentane seems to do the same job and is cheaper.
    Modern diesels run fine on it, My garage man is running it in his TDCI for the last two years and swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Cheers for all the responses guys, I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to give it a try. 250-300ml would be the right amount to use on my car each time wouldn't it? I always fill the tank and I think I have either a 50 or 55 litre tank. Thanks Again

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Mike

Mr Mike wrote: »
    Hi all

I ve been watching the Dipetane discussion for a while and decided to give it a go. I measure my fuel economy most times when I fill up and it has on average been 50 mpg or 5.6 L/100km over the last two years. It gradually goes down in between oil changes, spark plugs and air filter changes. Also, the economy is lower too in the colder months.

I am driving a 1995 corolla petrol 1.3 with 171k miles. Yesterday I fiilled up the tank and used dipetane as indicated on the bottle. Will update on economy.

Yours

Hello all,

Just finished that tank of petrol and refilled today. Its been a while since I filled up but I was in Alicante for the week, so no driving only relaxing and drinking mojitos:D

Well the car ran fine on dipetane and it was noticeably smoother with I think less knocking. Completed 386 miles to 35L = 50.2 MPG or 5.6L/100km. This is equal the long term average, but is about 6% higher than what I usually get in cold, wet and windy weather.

Not achieving the advertised 10% gain, but I will finish the bottle as there are four more treatments remaining.

Will update
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Hello all,

Just finished that tank of petrol and refilled today. Its been a while since I filled up but I was in Alicante for the week, so no driving only relaxing and drinking mojitos:D

Well the car ran fine on dipetane and it was noticeably smoother with I think less knocking. Completed 386 miles to 35L = 50.2 MPG or 5.6L/100km. This is equal the long term average, but is about 6% higher than what I usually get in cold, wet and windy weather.

Not achieving the advertised 10% gain, but I will finish the bottle as there are four more treatments remaining.

Will update
    Mike

it say's save up to 10%... But glad to see that it is working for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cold, wet and windy weather.

A strong headwind or wind in general would hammer your efficiency. Drive in wind and you will see you MPG drop dramatically. Humidity (i.e. Wet) and temperature would equally have an affect on your MPG.

The only way to test Dipetane is on a track with the same driver in the very, very same conditions. The stuff 'works' theres no denying that but its snake oil as the benefit to cost ratio is just not there.

I don't see why people buy this stuff when it actually increases the cost of motoring by about 2 to 5% before any benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't see why people buy this stuff when it actually increases the cost of motoring by about 2 to 5% before any benefit.

32 euro(5 litres) treats 1000 litres or 1500 euro of diesel. That's a 2.1% increase in fuel cost. It only needs to increase your 40 mpg to 41 to pay for itself.

I haven't gotten a major change in mpg when using it. To many other variables. I calculate it over 1000 miles. My mpg actually decreased by 1 mpg in one test I done. I use it as the van is smoother and nicer to drive with it in. I also believe it will prolong the life of my(very expensive to replace) pump and injectors, and keep the, ports cylinders etc. clean.

32 euro(5 litres) treats 1000 litres or 1500 euro of diesel. That's a 2.1% increase in fuel cost. It only needs to increase your 40 mpg to 41 to pay for itself.

5 Litres apparently treats 1000 litres, as the mixing ratio is 1:200 (Link: http://www.dipetane.ie/Technical.aspx)

So if we bring that back to 1 litre per 200 litres, it costs €6.40 per litre of dipetane. If we take the average price at the pump as €1.65, thats €330 for 200 litres of diesel or petrol. Add on the dipetane, so your total cost for 200 litres of treated fuel is €336.40.

Your cost per litre of treated fuel is equivalent to paying ~€1.68 at the pump. Thats 3c in every single litre. Lets be honest, most people would drive straight on by if that was the price.

If your average fuel tank is about 45 litres, a full fill adds €1.26. If you filled up fully every 3 days for the entire year your adding €155 or so to your motoring bill every single year by using dipetane.

So if we took that €155 and equated it to distance. Take a car that does 100km to every 6.5 litres of fuel. €155 would buy you 94 litres of fuel or 1446km of distance. Pretty much two full fill up's.

I don't know about you but I'd rather spend that €155 on two fill ups that go through the hassle of adding this stuff. Its costing you €155 per year before it ever begins to pay for itself.

Untreated at €1.65 per litre at 6.5 litres per 100km = €10.73 per 100km

Dipetane added at €1.68 per litre at 6.5 litres per 100km = €10.92 per 100km

I acknowledge that I have not accounted for the MPG increase that Dipetane apparently add's but its going to have to save you 20c every 100km which would be a minimum 2% increased in MPG. In an already efficient engine thats a tall order and an adjustment in driving style would yield a far better increase.

And I do believe if this stuff worked as advertised then fuel companies would be adding it. Simple economics means they would maintain the same price and be able to use slightly less refined fuel (Much cheaper to produce) because the MPG would be maintained by the presence of dipetane. Back in the day I remember standing in a rally pit and there was a gent who's sole job was examining fuel mixtures and working out its efficiency (Back when JP-1 was pretty much legal to run the car on) They spent millions on it and if someone believe's for one second that a €5 bottle will do such wonders you have little regard for the laws of physics or engineering.

Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I have no idea if it increases mpg to be honest. I would imagine you would receive gains of at least 0.5 % in mpg as you have 0.5 % more fuel. So you only need to make up another 1.5 %. Highly unlikely in a relatively new already efficiently running engine but I can imagine it working in one that's seen better days.

In a petrol engine I don't see the point. I presume your not paying 1.65 for diesel. I never used it in my petrol cars. I just use an stp injector cleaner once a year.

I use it in a diesel van. Its a VE distributor pump TDI. My 10 year old injectors don't atomise the diesel so well any more so I feel the dipetane gives a more complete and smoother combustion. For example, with dipetane in the tank, ther seems to be less of a drop of in speed when you hit a hill on the motorway. Less combustion lag maybe.

I also plan and keeping the van for many years and eventually retire it as a workhorse and convert it to a camper so again I'm approaching it from a maintainance and niceness to drive point of view rather than mpg, which I gave up calculating a while ago. It only changed between 38 and 42 and that was more or less explained by the load I was carrying and the weight of my right foot over the period. I couldn't account for the dipetane.

As for rally cars long term engine performance isn't really a concern and similarly may not be for people who change there car every few years. Sure why would you bother even servicing it.

To sum it up
    Originally Posted by RoverJames viewpost.gif

and lubricate diesel pumps and injectors.

My two cents.

I have no idea if it increases mpg to be honest. I would imagine you would receive gains of at least 0.5 % in mpg as you have 0.5 % more fuel...

Fair enough, you use it for another purpose and thats perfectly acceptable. It erks me greatly with people saying they're getting 1000's of extra miles etc etc. But as for general maintenance and upkeep in a very low mix ratio then it can't do much harm and I know people that do / had success with this.

I just view Dipetane as a magic solution sold to people with a very narrow minded view of the mechanical world. The company must make billions selling it A smart driving style would easily add 15%+ to your MPG if you drove super efficiently and thats totally free. Its a simple Google search and a mindset. A marginal 2% or so (By my calculations) increase by using Dipetane at a cost of €155+ is just lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Fair enough, you use it for another purpose and thats perfectly acceptable. It erks me greatly with people saying they're getting 1000's of extra miles etc etc. But as for general maintenance and upkeep in a very low mix ratio then it can't do much harm and I know people that do / had success with this.

I just view Dipetane as a magic solution sold to people with a very narrow minded view of the mechanical world. The company must make billions selling it A smart driving style would easily add 15%+ to your MPG if you drove super efficiently and thats totally free. Its a simple Google search and a mindset. A marginal 2% or so (By my calculations) increase by using Dipetane at a cost of €155+ is just lunacy.

Very well put!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The problem with your calculations is you are sticking to "2%" increase in MPG, which is a figure you have just pulled out of the air. Obviously if you buy Dipetane, experience 2% or less improvement, then its a loss leader. But thats what happens when you have a viewpoint and warp the figures to justify.

Come on, do you really think you are the only only that ran a couple of numbers? The most "average" motorist who tries Dipetane read the box, they expect "upto 10%" or pretty close. Your 2% figures are effectively margin of error, thats counted as zero improvement. Anyone getting that never uses it again, given how small this country is, such a product and company would be out of business within 2years, bad word of mouth and an exhausted userbase would see to that. Christ we have actual known profit making companies closing doors here to beat the band.

"Smart driving adding upto 15%" is an entirely different proposition (and irrelevant) and in no way undermines Dipetane if it adds "more MPG" to the baseline fuel that 15% is based on.

Do you really think Dipetane are a Billion dollar company? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I have just starting using Dipetane last night, I have been hearing about it for years. My car has been getting a bit smoky and I happened to see it in the local garage. Typically I drive a 90 mile (144KM) roundtrip each day.

I am running an 02 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI(130hp) 94000m on the clock, I have a kept a record of every fill of diesel since I got the car last April.

My average fuel economy is 6.45L/100km since April my last fill was 6.16L/100Km, so it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference over the next few fills, my OH drives a newer SMax 2.0TDC(140hp) I might try some on this too but I don’t have a fuel record for it.

The problem with your calculations is you are sticking to "2%" increase in MPG, which is a figure you have just pulled out of the air. Obviously if you buy Dipetane, experience 2% or less improvement, then its a loss leader. But thats what happens when you have a viewpoint and warp the figures to justify.

My figures are above and you are welcome to inspect them. Please do as I would like to see some intelligent, logical and informed debate.

The 2% is from this line:
    Untreated at €1.65 per litre at 6.5 litres per 100km = €10.73 per 100km

Dipetane added at €1.68 per litre at 6.5 litres per 100km = €10.92 per 100km

The difference is 19c. Which rounds to approximately 2% of the total. What I'm saying is that Dipetane must 'save' you 19c before it begins to pay for itself and thus your MPG has to increase by at least 2% before any benefit.
    Come on, do you really think you are the only only that ran a couple of numbers? The most "average" motorist who tries Dipetane read the box, they expect "upto 10%" or pretty close. Your 2% figures are effectively margin of error, thats counted as zero improvement. Anyone getting that never uses it again, given how small this country is, such a product and company would be out of business within 2years, bad word of mouth and an exhausted userbase would see to that. Christ we have actual known profit making companies closing doors here to beat the band.

Some people who buy this product would have little idea or knowledge of mechanics, efficiency's and the ability to make informed, logical and mathematical decisions. The discipline to actually apply the facts and form a decision. Thats not meant as an insult to anyone who buys this stuff I'm not debating whether it lessen's engine wear etc. I'm only debating the MPG 'benefits'

'It's less smoky' or 'I didn't have to change the injectors as often' would give a placebo effect to some consumers. A sort of 'sure if its doing that then my MPG must be going up, sure my HUD says so' You cannot take what an onboard computer is telling you as fact. You need to do the raw calculations yourself. Computers round, average and have tolerance. I know because I wrote / reviewed code for trip computers in every day cars.
    "Smart driving adding upto 15%" is an entirely different proposition (and irrelevant) and in no way undermines Dipetane if it adds "more MPG" to the baseline fuel that 15% is based on.

Drive efficiently versus inefficiently, and you'll see a major increase in MPG. Thats absolute fact. The percentage debatable. I'm assuming a baseline of an average 'Joe' driver who does drive inefficiently. If they change their style they'll see a large, noticeable increase in MPG. If you take the same driver with no change in driving style (i.e. Still driving inefficiently) and add Dipetane your not going to see anywhere near the same percentage increase in MPG. If they now drive super efficiently and add Dipetane, it stands to reason the affect of Dipetane as a whole will be miniscule.

Do you really think Dipetane are a Billion dollar company? :pac:

They appear to have multiple domains including .ie and .eu (With extremely shoddy websites) Theres obviously a fairly large market share if one Googles it and its derivatives. Billions was an exaggeration. However given the amount of people who I've heard talking about this and especially in recessionary times, plenty of people are willing to part with cash to save money.

My biggest problem is the '1 in 10 trips is free' with Dipetane. I think the above proves fairly reasonably that a claim such as that is utterly false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well for my twopence worth........

i've been using it in my 1.1 colt for the past month....and...drumroll...i've seen little or no difference in my mpg, if anything it went down

nah, i've come to the conclusion all these additives (stp, redex, wynns etc) are snake oil i'm afraid:cool:

Advertisement