Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel additives/Dipetane efficiency?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I'm relying on the stuff together with some hard driving to reduce my smoke emissions. Failed the NCT last week in a diesel Audi with a reading of 7.1/m. Retest is next week so hoping its the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭grumbleweed

Hi Folks

I have a 1ltr bottle of Dipetane and i was wondering can anyone tell me the correct amount/ratio or the most effective way to use it as there is no instructions on the bottle . Is it possible to use too much and caus harm or can i just pour the whole bottle in .

Cheers .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi Folks

I have a 1ltr bottle of Dipetane and i was wondering can anyone tell me the correct amount/ratio or the most effective way to use it as there is no instructions on the bottle . Is it possible to use too much and caus harm or can i just pour the whole bottle in .

Cheers .

Been a while since I used it now...But if I remember correctly there are "notches" on the side of the bottle.

I think it's 1 notch for every 10 litres of fuel.

Found a link from the website here.. http://www.dipetane.ie/Motorists.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't worry though. You cannot put "too much" in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Fuel:Dipetane
    200:1

50l fuel : 250ml dipetane

I'm sure you can work it out from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Just wondering are these worth using ?
    Any perticular ones people find good or is diptene the best?
    My focus is diesel. Is there any ones which help dissolve dirt in the fuel tank or are most just to help with carbon build up. Thanks for your help.

Dipetane or Millers worth using in diesels imo, perhaps every 2nd fill rather than every fill :) Main use for it is helping to keep the EGR etc ungunked.

It won't do much/anything for the sludge etc in the tank, that's better off staying where it is so not running too low on diesel is the way to go to ensure what's going to the filter is as good as possible imo.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Dipetane or Millers worth using in diesels imo, perhaps every 2nd fill rather than every fill :) Main use for it is helping to keep the EGR etc ungunked.

It won't do much/anything for the sludge etc in the tank, that's better off staying where it is so not running too low on diesel is the way to go to ensure what's going to the filter is as good as possible imo.

Thanks that what I wanted to know I will try either of the above would I get them in halfords? Or is there somewhere online?

Millers is scarce enough, a litre of Dipetane is €11RRP in a local factors (Motorway Kinsale road, across from Harvey Norman in Cork) and €40 RRP for a 5L container.

If you plan on using it regularly the 5L makes sense, 1l treats 200l of diesel if used to their recommendations :)

Millers is scarce enough, a litre of Dipetane is €11RRP in a local factors (Motorway Kinsale road, across from Harvey Norman in Cork) and €40 RRP for a 5L container.

If you plan on using it regularly the 5L makes sense, 1l treats 200l of diesel if used to their recommendations :)

Thanks ill get some in the motor factors on Thursday I'm try the diptene if they don't have the ecomax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

You can get dipetane for less than 35 euro/5l at on of the main stockists:

http://www.dipetane.ie/BuyDipetane.aspx

I get it in toppart in galway for 32 I think :

Top Part
    Loughboy Industrial Estate
    Ring Road
    Kilkenny

It's handy to get a one litre bottle too just for filling up.

I know where top part is in kilkenny so ill go there thanks for the help and link rb.

You can get dipetane for less than 35 euro/5l at on of the main stockists:.........

Retail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Newbie question: What does a fuel additive/diptaine do exactly? Are they for diesel and/or petrol? Are they worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Retail?

Ye, unless my memory is shot altogether. Price can vary quite a bit so well worth going to one of them stockist. I've seen it for 16 euro a litre in some places.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Been told that 244 from these guys is a good additive also, cleans out the injectors and any gunk. Not regular use;

http://bgprod.ie/

31 euro, so its pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Be careful what you put into a focus TDCi.......;)

shamwari wrote: »
    Be careful what you put into a focus TDCi.......;)

I know I don't want to do any harm. But surly dipetane is ok to use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If the car is being used and maintained properly then there shouldn;t really be any need for any additives.

If it is used for lots of short drips then an additive can help reduce the carbon build up and, depending on the additive, help prevent bacteria from building up in the fuel lines and tank which creates sludge which can then damage the injectors/injectors etc.

The high sulpher levels in Diesel used to prevent this but with vaslty lower sulpher levels now bacteria is a big danger if diesels are not run up to full temperature regularly.

As for getting rid of dirt in the tank from contaminated or poor quality fuel, nothing can help with that but an additive can help with the lack of lubrication qualities that washed diesel suffers from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This for diesel
    millers_diesel_power_ecomax_L.gif

Emissions
    CATACLEAN_LISTING_POPUP-500x500.JPG

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    I know I don't want to do any harm. But surly dipetane is ok to use ?
    I'd kind of go with what Nissan Doc has said above - ordinarily there shouldn't be a need to use these things on a properly maintained motor.

It gets a bit murkier with common rail engines because there seems to have been an emergence of fuel additives specific to these which are different to the generic offerings like Dipthane. I'd consider Dipthane to be generic rather a common rail-specific additive because it supposedly can be added to anything, even a petrol too!! Ford did have note issued to their dealers cautioning against the use of additives on the Delphi system which the 1.6TDCi uses because any bacterial contamination in the system can be dislodged and will make its way towards the sharp end, which is something you don't want in fine-tolerance engine like that. Furthermore, whilst older mechanical diesel injectors occasionally responded well to Dipthane and the likes, the modern electronic injectors operate at pressures that are so high that they are almost self cleaning and carbon build up on these is a lot less than the older ones. If their spray pattern goes awry then usually there's an electronic fault inside them or the nozzles are completely shot. In these cases, it makes no difference what additive you use, you won't improve them.

OP, I know from some other posts you made that you had a recent failure that was blamed on a clogged filter. Has anyone opened the old filter or decanted its contents into a clear container to see what exactly it was that clogged it? If anything sinister is suspected in the tank or supply system, I'd caution against using additives for the reasons outlined.

I'm kind of unsure what to do. The car was running perfect no smoke at all no rough idle so I might be as well to avoid using a fuel additive as the 1.6tdci is known for injector trouble. I haven't driven it yet since the garage got it running so I hope it's back driving right ill know tomorrow. They said its perfect and there was no faults logged. I have the old fuel filter at home the 1.6tdci has a complete housing so I might cut it open with a hacksaw and see what the story is with it. See the thing is I don't there is anything to bad in the tank. I think it was more the filter hasn't been changed in ages I suspect its been on it a fair while tbh. And the fact they cost 90 euro to buy people wouldn't be in a rush to change it. Ill let you know what it's like when I get home tomorrow. If the van is running perfect I think ill avoid the fuel additive it is too risky with that engine considering the small benefits of using it.

here's your fuel filters...and none near €90. I use the €32 MANN filter regularly ;)

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/fuel-filter/ford-focus-ii-saloon-da-1-6-tdci-90hp_v18956_g9.html

Ill know where to go next time I paid 87 euro for a ufi genuine ford fuel filter in ford dealer. To make things worse that 87 euro included 12.5 percent trade discount. If my car is back running right I won't be to bother as to order online would have taken a week. But next time I know where to go.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Ill know where to go next time I paid 87 euro for a ufi genuine ford fuel filter in ford dealer. To make things worse that 87 euro included 12.5 percent trade discount. If my car is back running right I won't be to bother as to order online would have taken a week. But next time I know where to go.
    Three working days for delivery from these guys. I'd get my filters from these guys but buy the oil from the main dealer. I have my doubts about non Ford oil being the correct type needed. I used a Castrol mix once that said it met the correct Ford specification, but the oil smelt burnt on the dipstick after around 4000 miles. The genuine stuff didn't....

Thanks for the help. It will be interesting to see what the filters like. If you cut it open is it just a normal filter inside. I'm used to just replacing standard fuel not the ones with the complete housing pity you can't just open I suppose there done like that for a reason.

Its a sealed unit that contains a heater element too. You're also paying for that! Sealing the filter also (allegedly) reduces the risk of external contamination from dirt and dust!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sadmantas

done my NCT retest today, failed on emissions a week before . The reading was 4.16 and today it showed 0.46. Firstly put 10ltrs diesel + 5ltrs kerosine few days ago. After driving it all out put another 20 ltrs diesel + 1 whole bottle of Dipetane and went for a good spin.
    the car is opel astra 1.7TD 1999 with 190.000 mls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

1 litre of Dipetane is suppose to be added to 200 litres of fuel.

Just realised you replied to a thread 364 days old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from an old Dip thread but great to hear it was effective.
    What reading was 4.16?
    I suspect the kerosene has a play in there too, it wasn't just the Dip.

Advertisement