Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router upgrade?

Options
  • 02-07-2013 8:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

hello

First i know nothing about technology.

I have a trendnet TEW-432BRP which i use for two laptops and a smartphone. My connection speed is 8mbp download. I will be getting a smart tv in the future. Is their any advantage in upgrading the router? If so to what?

thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Unless your devices support Wireless N and/or you want a gigabit connection instead of 100Mb then no, there is no point in upgrading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I have checked and one laptop has wireless n and my smartphone note2 also has it.

what is a gigabit connection?

restive wrote: »
    I have checked and one laptop has wireless n and my smartphone note2 also has it.

what is a gigabit connection?

Faster LAN (cable) speeds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Is their a router you would recommend?

To be honest, if its not broke then don't fix it ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

davo2001 wrote: »
    To be honest, if its not broke then don't fix it ;-)

+1

Not much use to buying a new router unless it's broken. For 99% of domestic users it will make no difference. Even if you think it's broken, resetting the router to factory settings can bring it back to life for another few years. Routers don't make your internet go any faster. Throwing money at you ISP might but only if you live in the right area.

Regards,
    Sun

Advertisement