Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage

Options
  • 02-07-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here could advice. Myself and hubby both work in the education sector, but do not have permanent jobs which effectively means we don't get paid over the summer months. We work in various schools and educational settings and our hours yearly depend on student uptake.

Between us we earn yearly between 50-60k, we have 2 children, and no childcare costs as we manage the childcare between us.

We are renting the last 6 years, but would really love to buy our own place. Are we very unlikely to get a mortgage as technically we are unemployed for the summer, or have we a good hypothetical chance?

We have at the moment no debts, and hope to have about 25k saved for a deposit by Nov 2014.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

aisseery wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone here could advice. Myself and hubby both work in the education sector, but do not have permanent jobs which effectively means we don't get paid over the summer months.
    TBH, if I were you I wouldn't settle down until I got a permanent teaching position, as otherwise you may be cutting back your chances a fair bit, and locking yourself to one part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Chin_Up

There is no harm in speaking to banks now to get a feel for what the lending criteria is. We also have two young children, and just applied for a Mortgage but im not holding my breath yet as the whole banking system is so unstable. Best of luck and as i said you wont know unless you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

the_syco wrote: »
    TBH, if I were you I wouldn't settle down until I got a permanent teaching position, as otherwise you may be cutting back your chances a fair bit, and locking yourself to one part of the country.

This is good advice. I have some friends who are teachers in non-permanent positions and I have seen the kind of travel they have had to do for work (including to the UK in one case). Im not sure that getting tied down to a mortgage and one location is particularly wise, but you know your situation better I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

aisseery wrote: »
    do not have permanent jobs

tbh I stopped reading there.
    zero chance of getting a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

tbh I stopped reading there.
    zero chance of getting a mortgage.

Must agree, not much chance of it. Permanent is a necessity or at least as a teacher having a CID would pull a lot of weight with the bank also. In fairnes what guarantee do you have of hours come September every year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement