Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop battery

Options
  • 02-07-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a replacement battery for my laptop. I won't name the brand but it is a known reputable one.

In the instructions, one of the points says that I should consider removing the battery from the laptop when running on fixed power if the battery is fully charged. It suggests that this reduces the risk of heat from the laptop affecting the life of the battery.

Is it normal to run a laptop with the battery out? There is no problem with using fixed power with the battery in, they just say that the battery will last longer if taken out while using the mains supply.

Has anyone followed this regime of removing the battery and does it make a difference?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dr.Dre

It should not make that much of a difference. As long as ive had a laptop Ive heard the best thing to do is to fully charge the battery the first time and when its fully charged remove the cable and don't charge it again until the battery dies completely. Once it dies recharge it fully again.

If it comes fully charged then use it until it dies and then you can charge it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Removing the battery when connected to AC power does preserve it based upon what I have read about this practice.

Unfortunately, we have been experiencing power grid momentary blackouts during warmer weather, and when this happens while using the laptop, the system crashes without a battery installed. Data can be lost and crashing the system is not good for it. I have a surge protector, but not a UPS, so I leave mine installed when in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Depends on the type of individual you are, my mother in law practically cleans the dishes before filling the dishwasher needless to say the washer is working perfectly over 8 years now, I just knock the large food off the plates and fill her up.

So yes you can preserve the battery a little bit longer by removing it and using ac power, the question is do you really want the work involved for such trivial savings in battery life!

Advertisement