Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VU DUO2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    But is this not why people are using these boxes to by pass the subscription charges
    Basically what I can make out on my research is if you put in one of these boxes keep it updated you get all the channels eg. Sky Sports, Sky Movies without any further charges from sky

I think you need to do more research!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Best box imo for freesat Eg itv hd etc as had series link (autotimer) full epg and also has card readers for any subscriptions you get. In my case I subscribe to jsc sports on 13e. Reasonable price for a years subscription with good sport which for me on top of free channels like itv BBC etc and with a usb tuner for saorview makes it an excellent all in satellite receiver. But each to their own. Do some research and if you want sky maybe just get a skybox and a sub with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭iba

Shiner1888 wrote: »
    But is this not why people are using these boxes to by pass the subscription charges
    Basically what I can make out on my research is if you put in one of these boxes keep it updated you get all the channels eg. Sky Sports, Sky Movies without any further charges from sky

No, you will not get sky channels if you keep the box updated.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

1.3Ghz processor !!!!!

Surely XBMC is only around the corner....now that would be amazing.

Anyone point me in the right direction for best prices including a DVB/T2 and suitable HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Its not available with DVB/T2 card yet.
    DVB/T works for all irish channels and that is available.
    Or if DVB/T2 is important then pctv nanostick t2 290e is highly recommended by DUO2 Users on Vix anyway.

I just bought one from WOS, delivered today.
    Prices don't vary that much when you consider postage (used parcel force).
    Had a new QUAD for 2 weeks and had to return it twice so Im glad it had only to go to UK rather than continent. WOS were excellent in helping me out so I took plunge and went for DUO2...
    I know its dearer than quad but had original duo from day 1 (3 years) and solo for 2 years and they have been 100% other than the solo being a little underpowered , I should have been more loyal from start.
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    1.3Ghz processor !!!!!

Surely XBMC is only around the corner....now that would be amazing.

Anyone point me in the right direction for best prices including a DVB/T2 and suitable HDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Probably a silly question but I see transcoding mentioned earlier on in the thread. I also see a transcoding link beside the stream link on the open webif interface. When I click either, the show seems to load up in VLC player so I cant see any difference.

What is this and where / how would you use it with the Duo 2 ?

Havent used the transcoding much but think there is an issue with it and recent VU+ drivers.

If you are on your lan then streaming is best as its full quality.
    Transcoding allows you to set the bit rate of the stream (DUO2 only) so you can get a stable picture on a device when away from home. The Duo reduces the quality to what you set it in settings so the picture doesn't breakup all the time...

So you would install VU player or dreamdroid (for android or an IOS app on mobile device and open port on router (8002 I think) and it will stream the reduced bitrate picture to your phone/tablet when away.

dnme wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but I see transcoding mentioned earlier on in the thread. I also see a transcoding link beside the stream link on the open webif interface. When I click either, the show seems to load up in VLC player so I cant see any difference.

What is this and where / how would you use it with the Duo 2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

i'm considering getting the duo2 with 4 dvb-s2 tuners and am just wondering how stable usb dvb-t tuners? Anyone using them without issue? would like to add 2 usb dvb-t tuners to cover saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

get a sony USB play tv gadget, gives u 2 tuners, works a treat with BH2.0.7

• Advertisement

I agree. I have 4 DVB-s tuners and the Sony Play TV and its 100% perfect on VIX 3.0.
    Rock Solid..
    swoofer wrote: »
    get a sony USB play tv gadget, gives u 2 tuners, works a treat with B2.0.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

This box is a piece of crap. I just smashed my remote control into 50 tiny pieces after becoming frustrated by its utter ****e response from IR input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

This box is a piece of crap. I just smashed my remote control into 50 tiny pieces after becoming frustrated by its utter ****e response from IR input.

O dear, if you want to donate it to me then pm me. In the mean time I guess you will have to use web interface unless you have all in one type remote

Greenpiece wrote: »
    O dear, if you want to donate it to me then pm me. In the mean time I guess you will have to use web interface unless you have all in one type remote

€39.99 will get me a new one. It appears there is some issue with responsiveness and there is an update to address the problem,, why didn't I read about that first!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

There is an android app called Vu+ Player,

Not sure if it works on the new models, but I use it on a Solo.

Might tide you over until new remote arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

There is an android app called Vu+ Player,

Not sure if it works on the new models, but I use it on a Solo.

Might tide you over until new remote arrives.

Yes, it also works on Apple devices but only seems to include SD channels. You can also try e2remoteLite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭maik3n

You can get a spare remote here for €8 :cool:
    http://satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=129

maik3n wrote: »
    You can get a spare remote here for €8 :cool:
    http://satboxes.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=129

Thanks, I dont think I want that though, it looks cheap as hell compared to the Duo2 one.

I was able to change settings as normal last night without using a mobile based app, on the Openweb interface on my PC it has a virtual remote control, exactly the same as the physical one. It also shows screenshots which I had refresh every second, so I was able to alter important settings in menus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Hi,
    I want to get one of these and just want to make sure I order the correct tuners. I am going to buy from hm-sat.de
    the selection is VU+® Duo² 1x DVB-S2 Dual 1x DVB-C/T Tuner Full HD 1080p Twin Linux Receiver PVR ready
    Am I right in saying that this has 2 x SAT Connection(Dual Tuner) and 1 by Terestrial tuner? Is the DVB-T OK for Saorview or do I require a T2 tuner?
    Also, any reason not to get this box? It appear to be well supported by community images/
    Thanks in advance for responses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

kkontour wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to get one of these and just want to make sure I order the correct tuners. I am going to buy from hm-sat.de
    the selection is VU+® Duo² 1x DVB-S2 Dual 1x DVB-C/T Tuner Full HD 1080p Twin Linux Receiver PVR ready
    Am I right in saying that this has 2 x SAT Connection(Dual Tuner) and 1 by Terestrial tuner? Is the DVB-T OK for Saorview or do I require a T2 tuner?
    Also, any reason not to get this box? It appear to be well supported by community images/
    Thanks in advance for responses

seem ok but why would you need Soarview, mate?

the TV does not have a DVB-T Tuner. Its a few years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

seem ok but why would you need Soarview, mate?

I had a look at hm-sat.de site, so total price for the 2 sat tuners and one dvb-t is 319 euro befores shipping?

No, its 389 + Shipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

You don't need DVB-T2 to get saorview as it is DVB-T Mpeg4, if you want to get some of the HD DVB-T channels from the north you would need DVB-T2.
    No, its 389 + Shipping

I ordered the receiver last Friday from satking for €421 including shipping and credit card charges with a dual DVB-S2 tuner and a single DVB-T2 tuner. It was a bit dearer on hm-sat.de as the credit card charges were higher.

I went for the DVB-T2 tuner as its the latest version of DVB-T and its backwards compatible and it was only a few euro more.

It hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to getting it.

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    You don't need DVB-T2 to get saorview as it is DVB-T Mpeg4, if you want to get some of the HD DVB-T channels from the north you would need DVB-T2.

I ordered the receiver last Friday from satking for €421 including shipping and credit card charges with a dual DVB-S2 tuner and a single DVB-T2 tuner. It was a bit dearer on hm-sat.de as the credit card charges were higher.

I went for the DVB-T2 tuner as its the latest version of DVB-T and its backwards compatible and it was only a few euro more.

It hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to getting it.

423 with hm-sat.de
    I ordered yesterday and is on route. DHL tracking number received.:D:D:D:D

I got the Duo2 and its great. Coming from an azbox before its great to have reliable recordings. I also have Project Valerie running, reading media from my NAS, and I can even stream channels using the spare tuner to my Ferguson Ariva 220 using the IPTV option.
    The EPG is great and the CoolTV Guide is a great addition.

Couldn't agree more the DUO2 is what all boxes should be.
    Have 4 sat and 2 DVBT USB tuners on it and it supplies TV to 3 Pi and 1 android TV box and records anything I through at it without missing a beat.

Id say once I had to reboot it in 18 months....
    I got the Duo2 and its great. Coming from an azbox before its great to have reliable recordings. I also have Project Valerie running, reading media from my NAS, and I can even stream channels using the spare tuner to my Ferguson Ariva 220 using the IPTV option.

dfdream wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more the DUO2 is what all boxes should be.
    Have 4 sat and 2 DVBT USB tuners on it and it supplies TV to 3 Pi and 1 android TV box and records anything I through at it without missing a beat.

Id say once I had to reboot it in 18 months....

Hi dfdream,
    what do you use on the Pi? K have a spare one lying around I could make used of in a bedroom where I dont have any TV cables.

Load Raspbmc on it.
    Then in XBMC go into addons and enable the VU Enigma2 addon and fill in the details of your box in the config pages.

So the Pi doesn't have to download all bouquets from DUO2 I setup a separate one on the DUO2 called XMBC and put all the channels I need into that.
    Makes the epg download faster too on the PI.

That was it... I have one in the kitchen and its used every day to watch TV and its mighty... Lots better than remotestreamconvert works on satellite boxes...
    Hi dfdream,
    what do you use on the Pi? K have a spare one lying around I could make used of in a bedroom where I dont have any TV cables.

Am I corrct in saying I need to buy the MPEG-2 codec key, for the SD Channels?
    Tks
    K
    Load Raspbmc on it.
    Then in XBMC go into addons and enable the VU Enigma2 addon and fill in the details of your box in the config pages.

So the Pi doesn't have to download all bouquets from DUO2 I setup a separate one on the DUO2 called XMBC and put all the channels I need into that.
    Makes the epg download faster too on the PI.

That was it... I have one in the kitchen and its used every day to watch TV and its mighty... Lots better than remotestreamconvert works on satellite boxes...

• Advertisement

Yes sorry for the late reply.

You need the Codec. A big improvement in HD too..
    Am I corrct in saying I need to buy the MPEG-2 codec key, for the SD Channels?
    Tks
    K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

@dfdream

Sorry for butting in, but wondering what state do you need to leave your stb in when using this with the plugin on the pi?
    i.e. just powered on and in standby

If someone is using the stb does it impact them, or does the pi just grab a free tuner (assuming a multi tuner stb) and they are none the wiser?

WW

It can be on or standby (not deep standby).
    I have 4 sat and 2 DVBT so unless there is a lot of recordings going on there is no issue. It would be rare that the 3 Pi would be on at the same time but even if they are the box handles them all no issue. The person watching the STB would only see that the ABCDEF indicators are lit when a tuner is in use. Other than that there is no pressure on the box.

Now the Pi is no where near the MINIX 8H I have for speed but its still perfectly good enough.

100% works.
    @dfdream

Sorry for butting in, but wondering what state do you need to leave your stb in when using this with the plugin on the pi?
    i.e. just powered on and in standby

If someone is using the stb does it impact them, or does the pi just grab a free tuner (assuming a multi tuner stb) and they are none the wiser?

WW

http://www.pembo.co.uk/e2stream/

This is a very good app for those of you that have a samsung tv for streaming channels from enigma 2 boxes, the dev is very helpful as well. He helped me out when it won't work out of the box on blackhole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

It can be on or standby (not deep standby).
    I have 4 sat and 2 DVBT so unless there is a lot of recordings going on there is no issue. It would be rare that the 3 Pi would be on at the same time but even if they are the box handles them all no issue. The person watching the STB would only see that the ABCDEF indicators are lit when a tuner is in use. Other than that there is no pressure on the box.

Now the Pi is no where near the MINIX 8H I have for speed but its still perfectly good enough.

100% works.

Had a bit of time last night so gave it a go on my pi last night. Kept getting the connection lost to stb error message. Tried changing passwords, ports etc no go.
    Then tried it on my pc and it worked first time!
    Went back to pi, and problem was that for some reason it would not load the single bouquet I had selected in the config (worked ok on pc). Deselected that and restarted livetv and up popped the downloading channel/epg box.
    Took more than 15mins - have a t90 so my all channel list is huge.
    Anyway as a proof of concept it worked. Will have another play and see how I get on.
    Still running Gotham 13.1 on my pi, so that might have something to do with it. Will read around a bit more.

Thks for tip.

WW

One thing if you move to helix. there is an issue with passwords for the enigma2 plugin connecting to box if the password has an @ in it. Not sure if other non text characters cause an issue but the @ stopped it from working for me. I changed the password and it worked again.
    Had a bit of time last night so gave it a go on my pi last night. Kept getting the connection lost to stb error message. Tried changing passwords, ports etc no go.
    Then tried it on my pc and it worked first time!
    Went back to pi, and problem was that for some reason it would not load the single bouquet I had selected in the config (worked ok on pc). Deselected that and restarted livetv and up popped the downloading channel/epg box.
    Took more than 15mins - have a t90 so my all channel list is huge.
    Anyway as a proof of concept it worked. Will have another play and see how I get on.
    Still running Gotham 13.1 on my pi, so that might have something to do with it. Will read around a bit more.

Thks for tip.

WW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Thought this post would answer my question...

I'm looking for Duo2 with two tuners for my Sky dish so I can record.
    Also tuners so I can watch and record Saorview. The Saorview only has one cable, do I need a dual tuner.?

Can someone help with the type that I need.??

Not sure, But I would say you would need the Dual Sat tuner, DVB-T(2) tuner and a USB tuner. Can remember of the DVB-T tuner has a passthrough to feed the USB stick. I understand the Sony PS3 USB Play TV has a dual tuner and is compatible with the DUO2. Maybe someone else can confirm
    KK
    batman2000 wrote: »
    Thought this post would answer my question...

I'm looking for Duo2 with two tuners for my Sky dish so I can record.
    Also tuners so I can watch and record Saorview. The Saorview only has one cable, do I need a dual tuner.?

Can someone help with the type that I need.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Anyone know anything about vu+ clones? I see solo2 clones can be got for €125 delivered on Aliexpress

The official box is a bit out of the price range.

Does anyone know where to get a reliable vu+ clone?

vu+ duo or vu+ solo2 clone?

I have an official vu+ duo for the last 2 years and they are an excellent box.

Need something a bit cheaper this time around though

• Advertisement

Hi KK,
    Is that a
    1. Dual Sat Tuner e.g DVB-T(2)
    and
    2. USB tuner

or
    1. Dual Sat Tuner
    2. DVB-T(2)
    3. USB Tuner

Satellite Signal
    The 2 feeds for the Sky LNB
    Saorview
    I've seen a single feed input that splits internally to allow to record the Saorview.

I think this is correct.
    UK Freeview = DVBT+Mpeg2
    Irish Saorview = DVBT+Mpeg4
    UK Freeview HD= DVBT2+Mpeg4

Not sure, But I would say you would need the Dual Sat tuner, DVB-T(2) tuner and a USB tuner. Can remember of the DVB-T tuner has a passthrough to feed the USB stick. I understand the Sony PS3 USB Play TV has a dual tuner and is compatible with the DUO2. Maybe someone else can confirm
    KK

Hi KK,
    Is that a
    1. Dual Sat Tuner e.g DVB-T(2)
    and
    2. USB tuner

or
    1. Dual Sat Tuner
    2. DVB-T(2)
    3. USB Tuner

Satellite Signal
    The 2 feeds for the Sky LNB
    Saorview
    I've seen a single feed input that splits internally to allow to record the Saorview.

I recently got a DUO2 with a built in dual DVB-S2 tuner and a DVB-T2 tuner.

I can watch one sat channel and record another sat or dvb-t channel OR record a dvb-t channel and watch another sat channel but I couldn't record one dvb-t and watch another one on a different mux (ie record RTE1 and watch RTE2). If I get a usb dvb-t2 tuner it would give me all options.

There is a pass through for taking a feed from the built in dvb-t2 tuner to a usb tuner but I'm not sure if you can use both at the same time or if you need a seperate feed from an aerial.

It's a top of the range piece of kit.

Whats the difference between DVB-T and DVB-S and DVB-C

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Whats the difference between DVB-T and DVB-S and DVB-C
    DVB is Digital Video Broadcasting

The last letters indicate the platform of broadcast.
    T is Terrestrial; S is Satellite and C is Cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 toplinestreamli

Probably a bit of a silly question, but just wondering if anyone can help me. The vu duo+2 has 4 inputs, so 2 would be used as per S*y box to pause, rewind etc. With the other 2 inputs, can they be used from the same box to watch a different channel in a different room, instead of having a second box? TIA.

Probably a bit of a silly question, but just wondering if anyone can help me. The vu duo+2 has 4 inputs, so 2 would be used as per S*y box to pause, rewind etc. With the other 2 inputs, can they be used from the same box to watch a different channel in a different room, instead of having a second box? TIA.

You can use a vu duo2 with just 2 inputs to record/pause etc and still watch other channels via streaming to another room. The vu duo2 satellite tuners have two inputs so if you have 2 tuners you have the equivalent of 4 separate boxes but unless you like recording an awful lot of stuff 1 dual tuner would do you.

I got one of these about 2 months ago and it's top class. Really quick and easy to use. I got a friend of mine a amiko alien 2 in the meantime and I have to say that it does everything that my duo2 does but I'd still take the vu ahead of the amiko because it is so much faster.

Don't worry about silly questions because I asked plenty of them when I got into this game years ago and how else are you meant to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

you would be better off getting a small android media box, and using the streaming apps for Engima 2 boxes

but you need a wired connection to a gig switch for HD channels to stream correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gerryp2000

kkontour, what image have you installed??
    I'm having some image problems, at least I think it's an image issue!!
    see issue description here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95155392

BH 2.1.4
    Mine has 1x DVB-T and 1x Dual DVB-S2
    K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

I hope I'm understanding currently but I was wondering can set it up in my living room would be able to send the TV channels over wifi and onto an andriod box, or any kind of box without the need to use satellite cables for a second TV upstairs? If so would HD stations work over wifi. Am on UPC so speed shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I am working on getting my new Duo2 box set up.

I am currently looking at getting the streaming from the box working. I have downloaded the VU+ Player HD app (and the original VU+ Player app too) for iPhone and for iPad.

With the VU+ Player HD I cannot stream live TV but I have no problem streaming recordings from the hard disk. Live TV times out and there is an error message saying to retry in 3 seconds.

With the VU+ Player I can stream live TV but the bouquets do not match the setup on the duo2 itself (e.g. first channel shown is TV3 instead of RTÉ One HD).

I can stream live TV to PC/Mac using VLC without any issues. I need to figure out how to access recordings on the PC/Mac.

All of the above scenarios are within my home network. I have been looking at how to get access remotely but not there yet. Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement