Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VU DUO2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

batman2000 wrote: »
    Hi KK,
    Is that a
    1. Dual Sat Tuner e.g DVB-T(2)
    and
    2. USB tuner

or
    1. Dual Sat Tuner
    2. DVB-T(2)
    3. USB Tuner

Satellite Signal
    The 2 feeds for the Sky LNB
    Saorview
    I've seen a single feed input that splits internally to allow to record the Saorview.

I recently got a DUO2 with a built in dual DVB-S2 tuner and a DVB-T2 tuner.

I can watch one sat channel and record another sat or dvb-t channel OR record a dvb-t channel and watch another sat channel but I couldn't record one dvb-t and watch another one on a different mux (ie record RTE1 and watch RTE2). If I get a usb dvb-t2 tuner it would give me all options.

There is a pass through for taking a feed from the built in dvb-t2 tuner to a usb tuner but I'm not sure if you can use both at the same time or if you need a seperate feed from an aerial.

It's a top of the range piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Whats the difference between DVB-T and DVB-S and DVB-C

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

batman2000 wrote: »
    Whats the difference between DVB-T and DVB-S and DVB-C
    DVB is Digital Video Broadcasting

The last letters indicate the platform of broadcast.
    T is Terrestrial; S is Satellite and C is Cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 toplinestreamli

Probably a bit of a silly question, but just wondering if anyone can help me. The vu duo+2 has 4 inputs, so 2 would be used as per S*y box to pause, rewind etc. With the other 2 inputs, can they be used from the same box to watch a different channel in a different room, instead of having a second box? TIA.

Probably a bit of a silly question, but just wondering if anyone can help me. The vu duo+2 has 4 inputs, so 2 would be used as per S*y box to pause, rewind etc. With the other 2 inputs, can they be used from the same box to watch a different channel in a different room, instead of having a second box? TIA.

You can use a vu duo2 with just 2 inputs to record/pause etc and still watch other channels via streaming to another room. The vu duo2 satellite tuners have two inputs so if you have 2 tuners you have the equivalent of 4 separate boxes but unless you like recording an awful lot of stuff 1 dual tuner would do you.

I got one of these about 2 months ago and it's top class. Really quick and easy to use. I got a friend of mine a amiko alien 2 in the meantime and I have to say that it does everything that my duo2 does but I'd still take the vu ahead of the amiko because it is so much faster.

Don't worry about silly questions because I asked plenty of them when I got into this game years ago and how else are you meant to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

you would be better off getting a small android media box, and using the streaming apps for Engima 2 boxes

but you need a wired connection to a gig switch for HD channels to stream correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gerryp2000

kkontour wrote: »
    I got the Duo2 and its great. Coming from an azbox before its great to have reliable recordings. I also have Project Valerie running, reading media from my NAS, and I can even stream channels using the spare tuner to my Ferguson Ariva 220 using the IPTV option.
    The EPG is great and the CoolTV Guide is a great addition.

kkontour, what image have you installed??
    I'm having some image problems, at least I think it's an image issue!!
    see issue description here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95155392

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

BH 2.1.4
    Mine has 1x DVB-T and 1x Dual DVB-S2
    K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

I hope I'm understanding currently but I was wondering can set it up in my living room would be able to send the TV channels over wifi and onto an andriod box, or any kind of box without the need to use satellite cables for a second TV upstairs? If so would HD stations work over wifi. Am on UPC so speed shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I am working on getting my new Duo2 box set up.

I am currently looking at getting the streaming from the box working. I have downloaded the VU+ Player HD app (and the original VU+ Player app too) for iPhone and for iPad.

With the VU+ Player HD I cannot stream live TV but I have no problem streaming recordings from the hard disk. Live TV times out and there is an error message saying to retry in 3 seconds.

With the VU+ Player I can stream live TV but the bouquets do not match the setup on the duo2 itself (e.g. first channel shown is TV3 instead of RTÉ One HD).

I can stream live TV to PC/Mac using VLC without any issues. I need to figure out how to access recordings on the PC/Mac.

All of the above scenarios are within my home network. I have been looking at how to get access remotely but not there yet. Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Black Hole 2.1.5 & Saving channels as favourites (bouquets);

There's lots of channels that I dont watch (and ones I want to hide from kids (adult type))

If you open the list of channels within both the satellite services list and the terrestrial services list, can I mark the ones I want to keep as favourites so that they can be combined into one list??

gerryp2000 wrote: »
    Black Hole 2.1.5 & Saving channels as favourites (bouquets);

There's lots of channels that I dont watch (and ones I want to hide from kids (adult type))

If you open the list of channels within both the satellite services list and the terrestrial services list, can I mark the ones I want to keep as favourites so that they can be combined into one list??

You can tailor the channel lists any way you like. Google 'Dreambox Edit' for further information.

ShaneOC wrote: »
    I am working on getting my new Duo2 box set up.

I am currently looking at getting the streaming from the box working. I have downloaded the VU+ Player HD app (and the original VU+ Player app too) for iPhone and for iPad.

With the VU+ Player HD I cannot stream live TV but I have no problem streaming recordings from the hard disk. Live TV times out and there is an error message saying to retry in 3 seconds.

With the VU+ Player I can stream live TV but the bouquets do not match the setup on the duo2 itself (e.g. first channel shown is TV3 instead of RTÉ One HD).

I can stream live TV to PC/Mac using VLC without any issues. I need to figure out how to access recordings on the PC/Mac.

All of the above scenarios are within my home network. I have been looking at how to get access remotely but not there yet. Any assistance would be appreciated.

There's an android app called dreamdroid that lets you do anything you want with any enigma2 box. I've used it on an Azbox Premium Plus, Vu Duo2 and an Amiko Alien 2 and it has run perfect except for a few glitches which I@ve put down to bad internet connections.

I don't know if there@s an equivalent for the IPhone or IPad but I use it almost daily and it@s top class. I stream inside my lan and over the internet without any problems.

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    There's an android app called dreamdroid that lets you do anything you want with any enigma2 box. I've used it on an Azbox Premium Plus, Vu Duo2 and an Amiko Alien 2 and it has run perfect except for a few glitches which I@ve put down to bad internet connections.

I don't know if there@s an equivalent for the IPhone or IPad but I use it almost daily and it@s top class. I stream inside my lan and over the internet without any problems.
    Could I use that software on a andriod TV box for second TV screen viewing?

Joo0 wrote: »
    Could I use that software on a andriod TV box for second TV screen viewing?

Yeah, I do and it works perfectly. I sometimes use it between dublin and wexford and don't have any major problems

Re XBMC & SuperRepo Install;

I'm running Gotham, BH 2.1.5 on VU+Duo2.

Unable to install any repository zip files - this error message appears -

"xbmc addon does not have the correct structure"

?????

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    Yeah, I do and it works perfectly. I sometimes use it between dublin and wexford and don't have any major problems

Do the HD stations work as well?

Joo0 wrote: »
    Do the HD stations work as well?

I use the transcoding for streaming so all stations stream well but not in hd quality.

I haven't tried streaming a hd station without transcoding on the vu duo2 but I did try it before on an azbox that I have and it was hit and miss on the lan so I didn't bother with it after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads really interested in buying this box with an additional Dvb-t2/c tuner but have a couple of questions
    1) as standard does this come with Dual dvb-s tuner? I'm told that it is.
    2) any recommendations either here or on the Internet on where to buy one of these? UK is ruled out due to the weak euro against the pound.
    3) any hardware issue with these? Eg failed power supply boards faulty front Lcds?
    I'm used to dreamboxes so know my way around the enigma images.
    Any help and advice appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Lads really interested in buying this box with an additional Dvb-t2/c tuner but have a couple of questions
    1) as standard does this come with Dual dvb-s tuner? I'm told that it is.
    2) any recommendations either here or on the Internet on where to buy one of these? UK is ruled out due to the weak euro against the pound.
    3) any hardware issue with these? Eg failed power supply boards faulty front Lcds?
    I'm used to dreamboxes so know my way around the enigma images.
    Any help and advice appreciated

Thanks

It comes as standard with twin sat tuners

Buying from Germany would be the cheapest option ,
    somewhere like here
    http://www.xtrend-shop.de/VU-Duo-Twin-Linux-Receiver-Full-HD-1080p-2x-DVB-S2-Tuner-PVR-Ready_1

Swords Satellites sell it for 394 euro if youd like to buy locally
    http://www.swordssatellites.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=116

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ok folks a few questions.
    Am I right in saying I can set up the box for Kodi?I have a Minix box but would sell it if I can use the DUO2 to do the same thing.
    Am I better buying the box without a HDD and just add any cheap one when it arrives?

Looking at it here it has 2 DVB -S2 tuners and if I wanted a tuner for saorview I should add DVB-T2 tuner.Is it worth the extra cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I have a minix and duo2 too but I prefer to keep the functions separately.
    Have found in the past that some of these functions on a sat box caused more reboots etc...

I went for several tuners in DUO2 and use MINIX and 4 x PIs to connect to the sat box with Enigma plugin so now all my TVs have streams from DUO2 and it works perfectly. (Minix is way faster than the PIs (old ones)

On Minix then I have downloads pointing to the movie folder on DUO2 so when her in doors wants a program its in the DUO2 recordings folder and no big learning curve on using minix and apps and downloading etc.

I would keep both if I was you...

If you add loads of tuners and do lots of recordings put in a big disk...
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Ok folks a few questions.
    Am I right in saying I can set up the box for Kodi?I have a Minix box but would sell it if I can use the DUO2 to do the same thing.
    Am I better buying the box without a HDD and just add any cheap one when it arrives?

Looking at it here it has 2 DVB -S2 tuners and if I wanted a tuner for saorview I should add DVB-T2 tuner.Is it worth the extra cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

I have a Duo2 on the way to me from hm-sat.de. Can anyone recommend a good backup image to flash to get me started quickly? It should have all the usual plugins such as autobouquets, crossepg etc,. Stability is very important and has to be wife friendly. xbmc support would be good as well.

I would consider myself pretty tech savvy and already have an Amiko Alien 2. When I got that, flashing the Hyperion image from Zardoz over the OpenATV one was a great help and took a lot of the pain out of getting a solid setup going. Just minor tweaks after that.

So I guess what I'm looking for here is something similar in the duo2 space. Any ideas?

SkySter wrote: »
    I have a Duo2 on the way to me from hm-sat.de. Can anyone recommend a good backup image to flash to get me started quickly? It should have all the usual plugins such as autobouquets, crossepg etc,. Stability is very important and has to be wife friendly. xbmc support would be good as well.

I would consider myself pretty tech savvy and already have an Amiko Alien 2. When I got that, flashing the Hyperion image from Zardoz over the OpenATV one was a great help and took a lot of the pain out of getting a solid setup going. Just minor tweaks after that.

So I guess what I'm looking for here is something similar in the duo2 space. Any ideas?

I'd recommend OpenVix. By all accounts it is almost identical to OpenATV so should be very familiar to you.

Got my box two days ago and I think I prefer the Blackhole image.
    I have a question the Lcd is working fine but the display beside it looks very hazy, I thought at first that I hadn't taken off the protective plastic but I had just wondering if this is normal or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

@skyster, go to linuxsat -support-com, join up then go to duo2 section, then go duo2 backup images, then go to master g and try BH2.1.4, dont go for BH2.1.5 yet. master g has a duo2 so that makes it easy.

then afterwards you can try others. BH rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

swoofer wrote: »
    @skyster, go to linuxsat -support-com, join up then go to duo2 section, then go duo2 backup images, then go to master g and try BH2.1.4, dont go for BH2.1.5 yet. master g has a duo2 so that makes it easy.

Thanks. I had already joined linuxsat-support.com and was considering the BH image alright. So you've just validated that. Appreciate the heads up on the version number.

swoofer wrote: »

What's wrong with master g's 2.1.5 image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I am going to buy a Duo 2 at the weekend.I currently have Duo with just the 2 sat tuners.Would ye recommend I also get a DVB T tuners installed when I buy or is it straightforward to add it at a later date.
    Is HM SatShop the best place to buy ? It seems to be the best price and postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

You could always add a usb dual playtv tuner for Saorview. They can be got handy enough on Ebay second hand. Its works straight out of the bag on Blackhole, for Openatv and other images you will need to download drivers from the feeds.

Advertisement