Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pram - Newborn and Toddler

Options
  • 02-07-2013 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

My wife is due with our second in September and it will be around our son's second birthday. We have a Quinny pram that came with an ISOFIX car seat so we are ok on that score. We use the pram a fair bit for longer walks and trips to shops etc. and we are not ready to dispense with that for a while yet, I'd say.

What have others done in this situation?

Is a double buggy the way to go? If so, any recommendations? We like the look of the Out n About but haven't looked too far into it yet...like is there a flat-bed pram part for the new baby and a bucket seat part for the toddler?
    Our young lad is full of beans so is it possible/likely that he will want nothing more to do with a pram in 6 or 12 months? (Sorry...that question probably has an obvious answer, but we don't have too many reference points).
    Are buggy boards awesome, hit/miss or awful?

I want to make sure we make things convenient for ourselves but not spend a rake of money for something we will get 6 months out of.

P.S. I did a search and surprisingly found nothing. If there's a similar discussion recently, please just point me that away.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have exactly 2 years between each of mine Jan 09,11,13 and the out n about nipper is fantastic.
    The 2 year old is too small for a buggy board on long walks and if she is tired might have a little nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I have a smaller age gap so will prob use it longer - only 15 months between them!
    For our first we bought the baby jogger city select and used it as a single - then when pregnant with second bought the second seat which clips on! I have to say its fantastic!! Was pricey tho so I'm glad we bought it with our first and have gotten so much use out if it! We using chair and pram sections now and the maxi cosi also clips in & out easily! When it goes to 2 chairs - they can both face anyway and that's what's so great about it!
    Buggy board an option but not if u plan on going far at that age as they'd get tired I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We didn't like the over and under options - it seems unfair to have one child leaning out or having to look at the back of another seat. The Babyjogger city select is the best of the type but I found it really, really heavy, even with one seat and no children in them. You really need to go into the shops and have a look and try the child in them before you'll decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Out an about nipper double is the business. My friends have one for their two year old plus newborn and they love it.

We have the single version since birth, she's two now and still uses it. Great buggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Thanks for the comments. Looks like we'll have to get something and a proper trip to the shops is in order. Good to see the Out n About get good recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Im due sept with no.2, no.1 is 1 yr this month so 14 months in the difference.
    I was looking at a few different options as well but couldnt figure it out.
    Buggy board is out cos 14 month old wouldn`t last a long walk or a day shopping
    So moving onto a double for sure.
    Older fella will want to be looking around and I want baby to face me but with the option of turning both.
    Also wanted all bits detachable so i`m not lifting the entire thing in and out of the boot.
    Phil and Teds look very slimline but didn`t like the idea of baby "in the basket" or behind her brother when she`s older
    Icandy had toddler facing backwards to face a pram/carseat
    Graco/Safety First both were way too heavy for me to lift
    Out And About Nipper too bare and wide
    :rolleyes: all based on my opinion having not actually used any yet!!

So have decided on .....drumroll?
    Mountain Buggy that I saw in Bella Baby in Oranmore Galway
    It has all detachable bits, takes the maxi cosi car seat, both kids can face either direction at any time,it`s ultra lightweight,very easy to turn/twist, quite narrow for doorways, decent basket and just got a good feeling for it when trying it out in the shop.
    Forgot the price it`s either €750 or €850 either way I`m still putting money aside for another while yet
    Hope that helps

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Fri.Day wrote: »
    Im due sept with no.2, no.1 is 1 yr this month so 14 months in the difference.
    I was looking at a few different options as well but couldnt figure it out.
    Buggy board is out cos 14 month old wouldn`t last a long walk or a day shopping
    So moving onto a double for sure.
    Older fella will want to be looking around and I want baby to face me but with the option of turning both.
    Also wanted all bits detachable so i`m not lifting the entire thing in and out of the boot.
    Phil and Teds look very slimline but didn`t like the idea of baby "in the basket" or behind her brother when she`s older
    Icandy had toddler facing backwards to face a pram/carseat
    Graco/Safety First both were way too heavy for me to lift
    Out And About Nipper too bare and wide
    :rolleyes: all based on my opinion having not actually used any yet!!

So have decided on .....drumroll?
    Mountain Buggy that I saw in Bella Baby in Oranmore Galway
    It has all detachable bits, takes the maxi cosi car seat, both kids can face either direction at any time,it`s ultra lightweight,very easy to turn/twist, quite narrow for doorways, decent basket and just got a good feeling for it when trying it out in the shop.
    Forgot the price it`s either €750 or €850 either way I`m still putting money aside for another while yet
    Hope that helps

Or you could save yourself up to €300 by getting it second hand. ;)

I bought a new buggy on my first. But it didnt suit so we ended up getting a quinny frame on sale and using the car seat for the first 4 months. Not buying new again if I am lucky enough to need a double buggy at some point. They are bluddy dear!

Edit: there are about 4 for sale on adverts at varying prices.

And there are several Out and About double buggys on Adverts for those interested too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The mountain buggy is lovely to push, a bit heavier then the out n about but when it comes ot it the out n about is way better value,lighter,narrower and less then half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

The Mountain Buggy I was looking at is in the style of the Bugaboo Donkey, not the Out n About style ;)
    I went looking for it on their website but don`t see it - no panic just yet - ill have to order it soon and post pics :P
    8 weeks to go...

Advertisement